Author Topic: ANTRIM HURLING  (Read 4825474 times)

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
Re: ANTRIM HURLING
« Reply #40440 on: November 02, 2020, 08:36:07 AM »
thought we were dead and gone at the end of that game on Saturday but what a finish to get it out of the fire at the end.

To be honest we were winning the game and comfortable but ended up losing all our shape and not winning any breaking ball from the puck outs which allowed them to get in front. We didn't play well for the most of the second half and did deserve to be behind i felt. Good changes made on the line that seen James McNaughton come on and fire a great goal and then big Donal to bag one as well.

Niall McKenna played brilliantly the whole game. A really good performance from him. Clarkey ended up with 2-07 and probably could of scored far more on a better day had the wind not of been a gale.

Overall its a point gained when it should of been lost so all in its a bonus.

If we beat Kerry at home is that us in the final?
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40441 on: November 02, 2020, 08:55:18 AM »
thought we were dead and gone at the end of that game on Saturday but what a finish to get it out of the fire at the end.

To be honest we were winning the game and comfortable but ended up losing all our shape and not winning any breaking ball from the puck outs which allowed them to get in front. We didn't play well for the most of the second half and did deserve to be behind i felt. Good changes made on the line that seen James McNaughton come on and fire a great goal and then big Donal to bag one as well.

Niall McKenna played brilliantly the whole game. A really good performance from him. Clarkey ended up with 2-07 and probably could of scored far more on a better day had the wind not of been a gale.

Overall its a point gained when it should of been lost so all in its a bonus.

If we beat Kerry at home is that us in the final?

If we beat Kerry or Meath I suspect we are in the final.

The Carlow Westmeath game will put Westmeath out, though Iíd say with having lost two they are gone.

Kerry big win over Westmeath have something to play for against us so thatíll be tough game.

The level of competition fits right. Itís being able to lift that further next year is the difference
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #40442 on: November 02, 2020, 10:04:08 AM »
if anything its proved that after a year or so learning we have lifted ourselves now to this level and over it. As you say MR2 its the lifting again for next season and trying to stay in Div 1b. If we can do that and keep improving each year we will be able to build into a stronger county team.

We have seen some tough results dealt at JMcD cup matches like Kerry at home in Cdall, Westmeath in Dunloy and other matches v Laois where we have been well schooled by those teams. But, to the players and managements credit they have took those results and learned from them and improved.

I felt getting someone like Johnny Campbell in there as part of the set up was a real good move. he's a good coach and was a top defender so he's adding more quality to the set up.

« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 10:09:44 AM by Dunloy realist »
hurl like f**k boi!

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #40443 on: November 02, 2020, 10:50:34 AM »
if anything its proved that after a year or so learning we have lifted ourselves now to this level and over it. As you say MR2 its the lifting again for next season and trying to stay in Div 1b. If we can do that and keep improving each year we will be able to build into a stronger county team.

We have seen some tough results dealt at JMcD cup matches like Kerry at home in Cdall, Westmeath in Dunloy and other matches v Laois where we have been well schooled by those teams. But, to the players and managements credit they have took those results and learned from them and improved.

I felt getting someone like Johnny Campbell in there as part of the set up was a real good move. he's a good coach and was a top defender so he's adding more quality to the set up.

Not doubting this but it was the defending which came under the biggest pressure yesterday in that period of the game where we folded. We have serious serious forwards, but the defence is the bit that would worry me.

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #40444 on: November 02, 2020, 02:23:45 PM »
I don't like to criticise the team when we are doing well but the full back line was really stretched at times there in the second half. They werent alone as the half back line was the same as well.

Again its more experience under the belt and they will continue to work on these things.

Kerry will come to us wanting to get a big result so we need to be very careful with this game.
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #40445 on: November 02, 2020, 03:04:22 PM »
We were stretched in there as balls from midfield and half back line were coming into the ff line, any inter county forward thatís played Div1 will want a ball out wide then turn his man.

They tagged on the points and we missed a few opportunities to keep the scoreboard ticking over
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

Carlovia

• View Profile
« Reply #40446 on: November 03, 2020, 03:36:54 PM »
Thought Iíd drop in to your forum to congratulate Antrim on a
great game Saturday.

Antrim were very strong in the first half and barring wides you
could have been out of sight.

We were very good in the second half and thought we had it
after our second goal but fair play to your lads for the finish.

Draw was a fair result and maybe we will meet again next month if
we can both get over Kerry which is no easy matter.

Great to see Antrim playing so well again and hope that both
teams can get up to the top table in the future.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #40447 on: November 07, 2020, 07:22:23 PM »
Laois have taken it to a new level today with that match v Clare...

Thatís going to be the level we need to take it to, but itís not been an overnight thing for Laois, theyíve been on the up for a while now.

Very unlucky against Clare could have at the very least pushed that to a draw!

marty34

• View Profile
« Reply #40448 on: November 07, 2020, 09:12:20 PM »
Laois have taken it to a new level today with that match v Clare...

Thatís going to be the level we need to take it to, but itís not been an overnight thing for Laois, theyíve been on the up for a while now.

Very unlucky against Clare could have at the very least pushed that to a draw!

Correct.  Imagine if everybody fully committed to Brennan's team. They battled well and could have got it to extra-time.

Probably gave away too many silly frees in first half.

Tony Kelly is some operator!

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #40449 on: November 08, 2020, 05:53:14 PM »
I see Carlow only beat Meath by a point yesterday. We still need to be really on our toes for them and Kerry.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #40450 on: November 08, 2020, 06:33:20 PM »
I see Carlow only beat Meath by a point yesterday. We still need to be really on our toes for them and Kerry.

Yeah was going to mention it earlier Meath stayed in touch for most of the game and could have won it. Win next game and thatís that

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #40451 on: November 14, 2020, 01:59:13 PM »
What an impressive start by Antrim...

Our ability to find the extra man for a goal...

Weíve managed to improve with each game.

12 points up against a strong breeze

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #40452 on: November 14, 2020, 02:16:42 PM »
Fantastic stuff again today so far. Really showing some good hurling. keep it going!
hurl like f**k boi!

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #40453 on: November 14, 2020, 03:10:53 PM »
Yes. Probably got closer than weíd have liked however some very good play there. McCann had a blinder and really liked what I saw from Molloy too. Very mature performance.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #40454 on: November 14, 2020, 03:20:38 PM »
Yes. Probably got closer than weíd have liked however some very good play there. McCann had a blinder and really liked what I saw from Molloy too. Very mature performance.

Closer yes but I was standing in corrigan watching us get brushed aside by this Kerry team a couple of years ago. Made great strides so far. Conway for Kerry is a cracker