Author Topic: ANTRIM HURLING  (Read 4582029 times)

maxpower

• View Profile
Re: ANTRIM HURLING
« Reply #39885 on: June 23, 2020, 02:42:29 PM »
Donít understand the argument Ďyou can control adults easierí

Contact is contact, itís either permitted or itís not!  I think itís entirely reasonable to assess That Children  mature enough to sit a Transfer Test are mature enough to be coached appropriately in small sided sessions under the supervision of a coach and additional Covid Supervisor!

The reality is our children have suffered the most in lockdown, it has had a serious impact on physical and mental health as well as their ability to integrate socially.  This is not my opinion but the view of the 160 GPís who have written to the education minister calling for urgent action.

Schools are now closed until at least September, and so a lockdown that began with the St Patrickís day bank holiday will extend to at least 5.5 months, possibly longer!

There is no safe option here, cancelling all activities will ensure no community transmission of Covid-19 through our grounds, but it will exacerbate the growing social isolation issues with our youth.  The children will suffer.

The club will suffer also, children with a proclivity for sport will find alternate options, numbers cycling, golfing & running will increase.  Those are the lucky children other will simply drift away from organised sport.

The risks are on both sides, the official guidance from Croke Park states Child to Child or child to adult transmission remains incredibly low, reduced further by being outside and with each club taking the adequate precautions.

If they donít play a game or a blitz, thatís fine, but the Association should be looking at solutions to make play available and not just throw the baby out with the bathwater!
What happens next????

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #39886 on: June 23, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »
Donít understand the argument Ďyou can control adults easierí

Contact is contact, itís either permitted or itís not!  I think itís entirely reasonable to assess That Children  mature enough to sit a Transfer Test are mature enough to be coached appropriately in small sided sessions under the supervision of a coach and additional Covid Supervisor!

The reality is our children have suffered the most in lockdown, it has had a serious impact on physical and mental health as well as their ability to integrate socially.  This is not my opinion but the view of the 160 GPís who have written to the education minister calling for urgent action.

Schools are now closed until at least September, and so a lockdown that began with the St Patrickís day bank holiday will extend to at least 5.5 months, possibly longer!

There is no safe option here, cancelling all activities will ensure no community transmission of Covid-19 through our grounds, but it will exacerbate the growing social isolation issues with our youth.  The children will suffer.

The club will suffer also, children with a proclivity for sport will find alternate options, numbers cycling, golfing & running will increase.  Those are the lucky children other will simply drift away from organised sport.

The risks are on both sides, the official guidance from Croke Park states Child to Child or child to adult transmission remains incredibly low, reduced further by being outside and with each club taking the adequate precautions.

If they donít play a game or a blitz, thatís fine, but the Association should be looking at solutions to make play available and not just throw the baby out with the bathwater!

So when the schools and teachers decide that it is safe to go back and have all the scientific backing to do so, then i think the Volunteer coahces can also start back. I don't think you can ask someone to take on such a role while the schools have deemed it not safe.

Clubs will be able to work ways for these kids once these issues have been worked out, but I dont think it is a priority at the moment.

I hope I am wrong and that we see a serious down turn in this virus but it doesnt look that is coming any time soon in the global sense.

maxpower

• View Profile
« Reply #39887 on: June 23, 2020, 04:58:00 PM »
Surely then by that logic - no teams should be going back!

I would actually accept that argument over the prioritisation of adult competition give adult to adult transmission has a far higher occurrence rate
What happens next????

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #39888 on: June 24, 2020, 08:10:29 AM »
Surely then by that logic - no teams should be going back!

I would actually accept that argument over the prioritisation of adult competition give adult to adult transmission has a far higher occurrence rate

Point being adults can make that call for themselves and decide apon their own circumstances. Kids start back and the pressure comes on parents to let their child go because his wee best friend goes. No one knows the circumstances of each situation, so the not seeing family and grand parents in partuicular for 3/4 months would be back to square one for the sake of getting them out hurling.

Clubs need to be ready to go when they get that call that it is safe to do so and the barometer for safety for these age groups is the fact that they are back to school with some regularity.

Yes it is difficult and we would prefer not to be here and we know there are issues around not having them at the club. But there are ways and means of engaging with them to keep them interested and then when the go ahead comes, clubs should be in a place to offer something that will attract the kids back.

maxpower

• View Profile
« Reply #39889 on: June 24, 2020, 03:22:51 PM »
So you think Children will be pressurised into returning but seniors competing for the volunteer cup wonít!

Should parents not have the same right of choice as the seniors?

Again the science shows adults to adult transmission at a much higher rate than any form of transmission involving Children! If we return to lockdown it is much more likely to be the result of international travel and community transmission within the adult population

Yet the solution is to deny children the opportunity for outside exercise and play!

What happens next????

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #39890 on: June 24, 2020, 04:06:00 PM »
So you think Children will be pressurised into returning but seniors competing for the volunteer cup wonít!

Should parents not have the same right of choice as the seniors?

Again the science shows adults to adult transmission at a much higher rate than any form of transmission involving Children! If we return to lockdown it is much more likely to be the result of international travel and community transmission within the adult population

Yet the solution is to deny children the opportunity for outside exercise and play!

Get them out, exercise them, play games with them within your family. Hurling / Football is not the be all and end all.

Seniors are wise enough to make their own call, will any of the married seniors (not that there are too many these days) with pregnant wives young children at home be keen to go back?

It is a simple arguement, professionals as in scientists here have advised that schools are not able to fully function. Therefore our professional teachers aren't teaching them, but yet and all you think its ok to ask volunteers to take them out and let them play?

I can see your argument on mental health and physical fitness but this is outweighed here by this virus. When it is safe for the kids to be back at school then by all means lets get our games up and running but that should be the marker for clubs working with kids this age.

Cromagh

• View Profile
« Reply #39891 on: June 24, 2020, 06:53:55 PM »
This is a difficult time for society as a whole and obviously trying to get back to normality in a difficult road for us all.

However you canít compare underage sport and schools. Two completely different contexts. Main one being schools operate inside a building and sport outside. If you watch the GAA module there is 19 times more chance passing virus indoors as outdoors.

Schools will be back to near full capacity by end of September. Scotland are def going fully back in August.

Itís hugely important to get young people back out andmixing with friends and peers outside for a whole variety of reasons. Our volunteer coaches are not being put at risk by this. If home circumstances mean players or coaches canít take part then Iíd assume they wonít.
But we need to get young people back into normality to help with their social development as well as their mental and physical development

maxpower

• View Profile
« Reply #39892 on: June 24, 2020, 07:10:41 PM »
School argument doesnít stack up, thatís an indoor activity over 30 hours a week with c30 children in a confined space. 

GAA is groups of 10 for 1 hour per week outdoor!

Family exercise is grand but doesnít not for developing social skills, and as I have said, many will walk away and so the clubs will suffer.

Iím disappointed the attitude of the GAA has largely been - it will be difficult so letís not bother.
What happens next????

NAG1

• View Profile
« Reply #39893 on: June 25, 2020, 08:22:11 AM »
School argument doesnít stack up, thatís an indoor activity over 30 hours a week with c30 children in a confined space. 

GAA is groups of 10 for 1 hour per week outdoor!

Family exercise is grand but doesnít not for developing social skills, and as I have said, many will walk away and so the clubs will suffer.

Iím disappointed the attitude of the GAA has largely been - it will be difficult so letís not bother.

Don't want to hammer the point because we clearly aren't going to agree on it.

I guess it comes down to risk and reward, for me the risk is too great at the moment. what is a couple of months now at this stage to we see where things go and if it progresses the way it is and stays low then we have all autumn to play our games.

Minder

• View Profile
« Reply #39894 on: June 29, 2020, 10:33:45 AM »
So Cul camps arenít going ahead in Antrim
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

ciaran1988

• View Profile
« Reply #39895 on: June 30, 2020, 11:26:59 AM »
When will the league fixtures be announced. I know the dates are out.

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #39896 on: June 30, 2020, 11:49:10 AM »
Looking forward to seeing these club selections on the saffron gael for the hurling. There'll be some debate among some of those top clubs.

Not sure on fixtures sorry.

MoChara

• View Profile
« Reply #39897 on: June 30, 2020, 02:23:26 PM »
Looking forward to seeing these club selections on the saffron gael for the hurling. There'll be some debate among some of those top clubs.

i have to say I've been looking forward to this as well, sounds like there's a few ready for publishing

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39898 on: June 30, 2020, 07:51:00 PM »

i have to say I've been looking forward to this as well, sounds like there's a few ready for publishing

If I donít make mine thereíll be trouble!!!
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #39899 on: July 01, 2020, 11:29:19 AM »
Cushendall team picked. It's an interesting one but from what I've seen over the years maybe not too far of the mark.