Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

Quote from: Jonkunlon on September 09, 2021, 06:54:05 PM
Quote from: imtommygunn on September 09, 2021, 05:48:53 PM
Quote from: Last Man on September 09, 2021, 04:05:56 PM
It's the new reality, if you speak against the official line you get shut down. We should all know that by now lol.

We're the new North Korea  :D

Poor show if all deleted.

Intermediate hurling looks interesting alright. I don't think cushendun will be beat by sarsfields though stranger things have happened. Is that eunan McKillop who used to play for cushendall playing for them?

Glenariff are really starting to make an impression at underage level but probably a bit too soon for senior level.

Not at all. They've 2 good teams  and it's nothing to do with structures or coaching. They've 'borrowed' a few players from other clubs at those age groups. U7, U9, U11, U13 ....they're poor.

Ah come on now that's verging on being mean spirited  :D

The u-15 team I would say has 12/13 of the starting 15 born and bred Glenariffe, and have won the 1st Div Antrim Feile for the first time in the clubs history. The u-17 team would be 10 Glenariffe & 5 "others" I would say, the others from Cdun & Glenarm don't have underage teams so what do you propose they do, retire ? So without the blow ins I would say those two "good teams" at u-15 & u-17 would be very competitive at Div 1 in both grades. That has everything to do with coaching and structures, considering we were struggling to field at some underage grades not a million years ago.

The right people are doing the right jobs when it comes to coaching.

You are right about the u-7s though, they would need to get their finger out.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Quote from: Jonkunlon on September 09, 2021, 09:36:00 PM
They're strong at U15 and Minor due to players coming in to their starting 15 from 3 other nearby clubs. The rest of their teams are average and below. Whether coincidental or not, these teams are made up exclusively of Oisins players.

Sometimes you just get a couple of very good cycles, very few clubs are strong at every age group. Especially not a parish the size of Glenariffe. Who know those u-7s & u-9s might not be write offs just yet.........

imtommygunn

There are wee pockets of families coming through that clubs that size need.(same in most rural clubs tbf)

Minder

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 09, 2021, 09:46:34 PM
There are wee pockets of families coming through that clubs that size need.(same in most rural clubs tbf)

As long as everyone is getting a chance to play at those ages I would be relaxed enough about it

imtommygunn

Winning helps though I wouldn't get too worried about the under 7s or under 9s just yet ;D

paddyjohn

I could be wrong but is there not an ex Ballymena hurler playing for Dunloy? When they folded at Un14 he went out there. Cushendall won a minor championship with a Cushendun and a Glenravel man on their team a few years ago.

Aslong as lads & ladies aren't walking away from the games, let them get hurling or football wherever they can.

bannside

You need to get rid of the under 7 management...lol.

Would love it if the Oisins became any sort of contender at senior level. That's where I got my first gaa interest, watching a good Glenariffe team prepare for the Volunteer Cup final bank in 1970. Loughgiel bate them in the final up in Ballycastle but myself and my cousin's were too small to see over the wire, so we played 3 a side soccer on the banks alongside the pitch.

saffman

Loughgiel V St. Johns

Johnnies at 15/8 is a tasty enough price. I'd almost have them as favorites.

Cushendall V St Endas

Endas @ 9/1. If I'm being honest I think they're abit further out than that. Could give me 15/1 and I still wouldn't touch it.

breakingball

Rossa, Dunloy and Loughgiel/ St John's won't lose any sleep if they seen that Cushendall performance

Jonkunlon

St John's the better team upon typing this. Shamrocks will have to find another level.

Hejustkeepsdroppingballs

Paddyjohn

You never hurled a ball in your life. A Ballymena hurler has. The closest you'll get is the Sunday Game. Your opinion is like your hurling it's not relevant

Jonkunlon

Cushendall v Rossa
St John's v Dunloy

Top 4 teams in the county make it to the semi finals. Loughiel feeling a bit aggrieved with Mark O'Neill but St John's were the better team.

Jonkunlon

Don't think they're off the pace. That's their level at the minute. They're in transition and arguably should have started a year or two earlier.

imtommygunn

About three or four years ago they had a team that probably should have won the championship (beat in the semi after a replay by cushendall) and they just haven't seemed at that level since. It kind of feels like their ship has sailed.

Cushendall Rossa should be a real good one. I think Dunloy will have too much for St. John's.

Jonkunlon

Quote from: Duine Inteacht Eile on September 12, 2021, 09:09:30 PM
Quote from: Jonkunlon on September 12, 2021, 09:07:03 PM
Don't think they're off the pace. That's their level at the minute. They're in transition and arguably should have started a year or two earlier.
Off the pace meaning:

behind the leader or leading group in a race or contest.

I'm content with my statement.

Apologies, I read it that you felt they didn't perform as well as they possibly could.