Author Topic: ANTRIM HURLING  (Read 4025370 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Re: ANTRIM HURLING
« Reply #38025 on: August 03, 2018, 10:18:57 AM »
The county does its best to oversee refereeing standards, but the problem is that refereeing is pretty much an individual thing. By that I mean that different people probably get into it for different reasons,  it's down to them how much work they put in in the gym & how often they take a quick look at the rule book etc. As has been said on here before, no referee gives a toss who wins & who loses a game - there's no vested interest. However, supporters do & they take it out on the referee, as do a lot of players. We are talking about the possibility of having 2 refs for a game. Maybe at inter-County level, but we can barely get 1 for club games. There will always be a recruitment problem until we tackle the abuse that referees have to take more seriously.

But my problem and players problems are consistency from referees, they have to play the ref, there are some who are really strict on how many steps you take, tough on getting the handpass spot on certain tackles are noted some not, there are a  few other traits that referees, mainly ones that played for their club, bring to the game.. So my point is having two referees at either end putting their stamp on the game would only balls things up I think...

If the referee is fit enough and well placed then he's generally not too far away, but its hurling, I could be on the 45 and the next thing the ball is on the other 14 yard line! The fat 70 year old hanging over the fence shouting at the ref to keep up with play makes me chuckle though
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

SillyAsFaugh

• View Profile
« Reply #38026 on: August 03, 2018, 10:39:06 AM »
Giving refs a hard time, imagine  ::)

hardstation

• On a cold and misty morning on the Anagaire bridge
    • View Profile
    • gaaboard.com
« Reply #38027 on: August 03, 2018, 11:07:58 AM »
The county does its best to oversee refereeing standards, but the problem is that refereeing is pretty much an individual thing. By that I mean that different people probably get into it for different reasons,  it's down to them how much work they put in in the gym & how often they take a quick look at the rule book etc. As has been said on here before, no referee gives a toss who wins & who loses a game - there's no vested interest. However, supporters do & they take it out on the referee, as do a lot of players. We are talking about the possibility of having 2 refs for a game. Maybe at inter-County level, but we can barely get 1 for club games. There will always be a recruitment problem until we tackle the abuse that referees have to take more seriously.

But my problem and players problems are consistency from referees, they have to play the ref, there are some who are really strict on how many steps you take, tough on getting the handpass spot on certain tackles are noted some not, there are a  few other traits that referees, mainly ones that played for their club, bring to the game.. So my point is having two referees at either end putting their stamp on the game would only balls things up I think...

If the referee is fit enough and well placed then he's generally not too far away, but its hurling, I could be on the 45 and the next thing the ball is on the other 14 yard line! The fat 70 year old hanging over the fence shouting at the ref to keep up with play makes me chuckle though
Because the fat 70 year old is fat and 70 doesnít necessarily make him wrong though. What I mean is, just because he couldnít do it doesnít mean it shouldnít be expected from the referee. The fat 70 year old (or even a slim 40 year old) would also have an opinion on player performance. Just because they arenít able to do it doesnít mean they arenít right about what needs to be done. Team managers arenít able to do what they expect their players to do for example.

Last Man

• You wont like it when i get angry
    • View Profile
« Reply #38028 on: August 03, 2018, 12:01:15 PM »

Because the fat 70 year old is fat and 70 doesnít necessarily make him wrong though. What I mean is, just because he couldnít do it doesnít mean it shouldnít be expected from the referee. The fat 70 year old (or even a slim 40 year old) would also have an opinion on player performance. Just because they arenít able to do it doesnít mean they arenít right about what needs to be done. Team managers arenít able to do what they expect their players to do for example.
I agree the spectator/coach whoever might be right but they nearly always have a different line of sight to an alleged foul than the ref so there cant be a consensus every time. I've given my fair share of stick to refs including Milltown the odd time but decided in recent years, what's the point. In competitive sport you have to look for any advantage you can, getting up the ref's nose is not helping your cause. From a spectating point of view, I don't see a problem shouting at the referee as long as its not personal or nasty. It all adds to the atmosphere and spectacle.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #38029 on: August 03, 2018, 12:09:49 PM »

It does when he tries to make an opinion on something that hes wrong about (not knowing the rules) and 70 yards away on the otherside of the pitch, he's wrong because he's assuming that a referee will be able to make the 70 yard dash to get to the 21 yard line to 'keep up with play' rant and he's wrong for shouting at a referee who gives up his time to referee the game for him to watch.

So In my view he's out of order when he's shouting at the referee, as it will never change his view on how the referee will see it and it may (for some refs) make him lose his judgement on other calls that this 'supporter' feels his team should get, human nature being as it is  ;)

Like Ive said before, if i sat the supporter down with a set of rules I doubt very much he's get 10 out of 50 right
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

MoChara

• View Profile
« Reply #38030 on: August 03, 2018, 12:28:57 PM »
If you blew everything that is strictly speaking a free in hurling it would be a dire affair. I think this is what makes it particularly hard for Referees, generally if the referee is consistent to both sides what he will and won't let run he's doing a good job.

If he became a stickler and never took the whistle out of his mouth he'd be thought much the worse.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #38031 on: August 03, 2018, 12:38:35 PM »
If you blew everything that is strictly speaking a free in hurling it would be a dire affair. I think this is what makes it particularly hard for Referees, generally if the referee is consistent to both sides what he will and won't let run he's doing a good job.

If he became a stickler and never took the whistle out of his mouth he'd be thought much the worse.

100%

The advantage rule works to a point, I much preferred the old unofficial adavange rule were you allowed the player the extra couple of steps for being held back or the late whistle call when you seen nothing come from play after a 'foul'

I think its easier to ref if you have played and know the tricks and cons players try during the match, well it certainly helps but we have plenty good referees that have never played but some of them don't get the respect they deserve because of it...

but like in all sports some could do with more training, and nothing wrong with that, the improvement/set up in how Antrim referee committiee have shown in the past 10 years has been great.. the initial course is excellent and the prep for the start of the season with Ulster delegates, past referees is great. for anyone wanting to referee the championship, they must past the exam and must past the fitness test.. a 20m bleep test which is tough enough for some referees considering they are past their playing days..

Tony Baloney

• View Profile
« Reply #38032 on: August 03, 2018, 01:13:36 PM »
It's the same in most sports - you always hear refs in the EPL being praised for "letting the game flow". That generally means playing advantage where there is one and having a word with the aggressor without stopping the match. It's a fine balance though as they also need to ensure they aren't overly lenient. There is a reason why not many people sign up to be a ref!

playwiththewind1st

• View Profile
« Reply #38033 on: August 03, 2018, 04:46:27 PM »
Milltown deserves it cos, by god, he never shut up when he was playing. I usually got both barrels from him! He even got uptight during his 'guest' appearances for BT.

Milltown Row2

• View Profile
« Reply #38034 on: August 03, 2018, 06:52:43 PM »
Milltown deserves it cos, by god, he never shut up when he was playing. I usually got both barrels from him! He even got uptight during his 'guest' appearances for BT.

Yes! Agreed and as a player we try to con the ref! Win frees take extra steps and move the ball forward!!

Iím hoping our lads go up! They might be in danger of going up, not sure if itís a good thing!

I might have to get back into training for the reserves!!

playwiththewind1st

• View Profile
« Reply #38035 on: August 03, 2018, 07:16:39 PM »
Yes.  You were a well versed master of the dark arts, from what I can remember....the archetypal gurning corner forward lol. Great refereeing material!

imtommygunn

• View Profile
« Reply #38036 on: August 06, 2018, 07:25:01 PM »
Is dunloy hammering st johns in the league while loughgiel drew with them a sign that dunloy are a good bit above the rest??

north_antrim_hound

• View Profile
« Reply #38037 on: August 06, 2018, 08:02:32 PM »
Is dunloy hammering st johns in the league while loughgiel drew with them a sign that dunloy are a good bit above the rest??

St Johns missing a few yesterday in fairness so wouldnít read to much into it. Our draw against cushendall is a more accurate reflection of our current state.

Dunloy realist

• View Profile
« Reply #38038 on: August 07, 2018, 08:57:46 AM »
tbf i was surprised at the result as St Johns have been playing very well at home this past few games so to get any result there is one worth taking.
 as NAH says the draw against Cdall recently would sum where both teams are. 
hurl like f**k boi!

ciaran1988

• View Profile
« Reply #38039 on: August 07, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »
St Johns had Ciaran Johnson, Stephen Tierney, Barry McFall and Michael Dudley all missing against Dunloy although a hammering like that right before Championship can't be good, does anyone know if these players are back for the Ballycastle game at the weekend. It's a very close balanced game between the two and can't see there being much score difference between them to see who gets into the group.