Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: theskull1 on April 02, 2016, 10:24:51 AM
Post from the hoganstand a week ago. Haven't heard the names myself but this something the executive need to deal with properly if they want to ensure their credibility.

First big (big) test for the new county executive and some involved are very close to home for said individuals. I'm sure they really could have done without this 3 to 4 months into the job, but the eyes are watching.........

bricktop (Down) - Posts:1307 - 25/03/2016 10:33:28   1837533

When you read the CB stating that it's vicious rumours I have a bad feeling it's already gone in to the case closed file
The accused have or will be invited to leave the panel and that will be it
There's a man with a mullet going mad with a mallet in Millets

NAG1

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 02, 2016, 10:35:51 AM
Quote from: theskull1 on April 02, 2016, 10:24:51 AM
Post from the hoganstand a week ago. Haven't heard the names myself but this something the executive need to deal with properly if they want to ensure their credibility.

First big (big) test for the new county executive and some involved are very close to home for said individuals. I'm sure they really could have done without this 3 to 4 months into the job, but the eyes are watching.........

bricktop (Down) - Posts:1307 - 25/03/2016 10:33:28   1837533

When you read the CB stating that it's vicious rumours I have a bad feeling it's already gone in to the case closed file
The accused have or will be invited to leave the panel and that will be it

I think now there are few people with nothing to lose now in the situation it will come out eventually around the names. I don't think there is any putting the genie back in the bottle so best to have a full and Frank investigation.

btdtgtt

As I stated from first pop - I don't know why anyone is expecting individuals who gambled heads to roll publicly.
It won't be happening.
Dealt with quietly - and never exposed in public.
That's the only way that's happening.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 02, 2016, 10:48:28 AM
As I stated from first pop - I don't know why anyone is expecting individuals who gambled heads to roll publicly.
It won't be happening.
Dealt with quietly - and never exposed in public.
That's the only way that's happening.

Why

theskull1

Restoring credibility should be important to anyone in these positions. No?

Them not doing the right thing will be the bigger and more damaging story in the hearts and minds of the grass roots. Church cover ups being the obvious example.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

north_antrim_hound

I would have thought croke park intervention wouldn't be to far away
Let's face it headquarters have a responsibility to ensure this is dealt with right to set a president for again

paddyjohn

Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 02, 2016, 11:02:57 AM
Let's face it headquarters have a responsibility to ensure this is dealt with right to set a president for again

The only saving graces if you like for the eejits that were gambling are the PJ sacking/resignation and the events in Cushendall. It'll take the heat of them but it shouldn't be left by our county board, it must be investigated.

Credit where credit is due, they acted swiftly with the shambles that was PJ tenure, but if they don't act on this then it's a failure in my mind.

I don't care if some of those betting against the county were from the same club as some high ranking officials, grow a set and discipline them.

north_antrim_hound

Quote from: paddyjohn on April 02, 2016, 11:19:27 AM
Quote from: north_antrim_hound on April 02, 2016, 11:02:57 AM

The only saving graces if you like for the eejits that were gambling are the PJ sacking/resignation and the events in Cushendall. It'll take the heat of them but it shouldn't be left by our county board, it must be investigated.

Credit where credit is due, they acted swiftly with the shambles that was PJ tenure, but if they don't act on this then it's a failure in my mind.

I don't care if some of those betting against the county were from the same club as some high ranking officials, grow a set and discipline them.

bannside

The whole situation about gambling is much much more complex than it looks. Some people here think its just a simple matter of contacting a few bookies to see who exactly had bets on London winning a NHL game. They simply are not going to start giving out those kind of details. Unless you are talking thousands of pounds, the level of this involvement is far to far beneath their radar. So forget about that one, from someone who has a knowledge of the industry. Data Protection etc. If it was an online account there is a good chance that it has already been suspended due to "irregular betting patterns".

So, in the absence of that, its fairly clear (apparently people saw the betting slips) that a few players backed against their own team. Well unless Im missing something, I dont know of a law against that.  (Its against a lot of things, but not actually illegal).

Despite all these complexities, there are posters here who want a public execution. They want names, newspaper headlines and our county all over the media for the wrong reasons again.

By now the county board will know names. They will deal with it quietly and efficiently. As far as I can see that process has begun. The dogs in the street will eventually know the names, and you`ll find they wont wear a Saffron jersey for some while, if ever again. 

Would this be enough for everyone?

btdtgtt

Put simply (again).

Just because it happened - doesn't mean the betting can be proven. 

Just because it happened - doesn't mean all involved have any desire for it to be proven.

It suits just about all (directly) involved for this to dissappear.
GAA officialdom don't want our games tarnished.
Antrim want our name the hell out of the papers as usual.
Bookies need to maintain the integrity of their business.

The guys involved will dissappear for a while - and won't play for Antrim again.

End of story - until the next story that is.

bannside

paddyjohn

Quote from: bannside on April 02, 2016, 11:50:09 AM
The whole situation about gambling is much much more complex than it looks. Some people here think its just a simple matter of contacting a few bookies to see who exactly had bets on London winning a NHL game. They simply are not going to start giving out those kind of details. Unless you are talking thousands of pounds, the level of this involvement is far to far beneath their radar. So forget about that one, from someone who has a knowledge of the industry. Data Protection etc. If it was an online account there is a good chance that it has already been suspended due to "irregular betting patterns".

So, in the absence of that, its fairly clear (apparently people saw the betting slips) that a few players backed against their own team. Well unless Im missing something, I dont know of a law against that.  (Its against a lot of things, but not actually illegal).

Despite all these complexities, there are posters here who want a public execution. They want names, newspaper headlines and our county all over the media for the wrong reasons again.

By now the county board will know names. They will deal with it quietly and efficiently. As far as I can see that process has begun. The dogs in the street will eventually know the names, and you`ll find they wont wear a Saffron jersey for some while, if ever again. 

Would this be enough for everyone?

Nobody wants a public hanging of these lads, I want the story put to bed as much as the next and Antrim GAA out of the papers as much as the next, but why should I work Monday-Saturday so on a Sunday I can take my 3 kids to Ballycastle to watch my county play and spend my hard earned money on the diesel, food & admission for 5/6 scumbags to be beating against themselves winning a game? Who is to say it wasn't or hasn't been done before?
I'll be happy if those involved are suspended and we can move on and sort the mess left behind.

Give and Go

Quote from: btdtgtt on April 02, 2016, 12:08:59 PM
http://gaeliclife.com/2016/04/john-martin-the-problems-with-alleged-match-fixing/

As one would expect. This is probably another story generated by a keyboard warrior. People need to get a grip of themselves and stop this character assassination of amateur players. So called supporters are setting hurling back decades with this type of nonsense. Shame on them.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Give and Go on April 02, 2016, 12:26:03 PM
Quote from: btdtgtt on April 02, 2016, 12:08:59 PM
http://gaeliclife.com/2016/04/john-martin-the-problems-with-alleged-match-fixing/

As one would expect. This is probably another story generated by a keyboard warrior. People need to get a grip of themselves and stop this character assassination of amateur players. So called supporters are setting hurling back decades with this type of nonsense. Shame on them.

I think the story started with people betting against themselves - that's what set hurling back.