Antrim Hurling

Started by milltown row, January 26, 2007, 11:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bonamargy

Quote from: btdtgtt on January 17, 2015, 10:59:10 PM
It really is amazing how long ballycastle have gone without minor or senior championships?!

Would you attribute this to anything?
I assume it's carrying one hell of a weight on the clubs shoulders?

Hopefully not much longer would provide a real shot in the arm to have the town back.

There have been many false dawns, the work and commitment needs to be 100%. I can't put my finger on why it hasn't happened. I thought Michael McShane was going to be the one to get us over the line. I think Michael is a good manager, but it didn't happen. We have a talented senior panel this year. No senior championship since 1986 is amazing. We need a big breakthrough result against loughgiel, Cushendall or Dunloy to give that bit of confidence to push on to a final and win it. We haven't even been in a final since 2001. It is all in the head.

btdtgtt

Why did Michael not continue in the job?
Short reign?
Maybe containing with him and building steadily when all involved know the routine and what's expected and are comfortable in the set-up might eventually get you lads over the line rather that starting all over again - again.

Bonamargy

Michael was manager for 3 years, that seems to be the limit for a manager anywhere nowadays. 2/3 years seems to be the norm now, you don't get the old fashioned manager who is there for 10 years anymore.

btdtgtt

Quote from: Bonamargy on January 17, 2015, 11:37:52 PM
Michael was manager for 3 years, that's seems to be the limit for a manager anywhere nowadays. 2/3 years seems to be the norm now, you don't get the old fashioned manager who is there for 10 years anymore.

Leaving aside the year sabbatical enforced PJ seems to have staying power at loughgiel. And club supporting him - if it's not broke? Why change for change sake?

getevennotcross

Quote from: Bonamargy on January 17, 2015, 11:37:52 PM
Michael was manager for 3 years, that seems to be the limit for a manager anywhere nowadays. 2/3 years seems to be the norm now, you don't get the old fashioned manager who is there for 10 years anymore.
Send for Micky Hart, he would give you ten years at least!!!!!!  ;) :P :P

A real pity about the town, I certainly though they might  have made a serious breakthrough before this, but championship always brings about its own pitfalls.  No doubt, some serious talented hurlers and a proud tradition also.  We all certainly need Ballycastle to be up there and performing.  Everybody wins if the are competing well and lends to a more competitive league and championship.  Come on the town!

Leyland

Have not posted in well over a year - but going to share a few thoughts on why we are where we are:

1. Lack of talent over years - only in last few years are we starting to produce quality players
2. Age - majority of our key players are 19-23 bracket - so still need time to mature mentally and physically
3. Confidence - we have not beat a big team in years in championship - need to make breakthrough
4. Lack of commitment over years though great strides made in last few years addressing this
5. Discipline - players wanting to do own thing from drink, soccer, golf - one of the issues being from a town - again some improvement made but still long way to go
6. Bringing underage players through successfully - we have not won minor championship in 30 or so years - only one U16 championship - club no real vision to really address this
7. Way club is run - border lines on embarrassing how and what happens at our AGM
8. No real collective club spirit which ultimately relates back to point 7
9. I keep asking myself how many people within our club really want the good times back? - when I look at the support Loughgiel, Dunloy and to a lesser extent Cdall get from their committee to drive their teams on it makes me wonder what the hell is wrong with us?

Any way - there is no magic wand - it's a combination of all of the above.

Our facilities are first class are are a credit to our committee for that. But in my view a strength of a club is their teams - not facilities.

Humpy is our new manager - I'm glad to see him get his chance. Micky did good work over the last few years but ultimately didn't get a big win. Hopefully all those 9 points come together and Humpy can get us over the line. The potential is there.

#McQuillansabu

Seamroga in exile

What's with this loughgiel team to beat nonsense? Cushendall are the worthy champions and the team to beat. They are the champions therefore the best team in the county.  The smoke was fairly rising out of the lurig yesterday when I drove past.   ;)
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Seamroga in exile on January 18, 2015, 05:02:56 PM
What's with this loughgiel team to beat nonsense? Cushendall are the worthy champions and the team to beat. They are the champions therefore the best team in the county.  The smoke was fairly rising out of the lurig yesterday when I drove past.   ;)

I'd say the best team last year was the team that beat Loughgiel ;)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Seamroga in exile

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on January 18, 2015, 06:01:35 PM

I'd say the best team last year was the team that beat Loughgiel ;)
mais oui
"What we've got here is failure to communicate"

Na Glinntí Glasa

are use like us now SIE, done out and finished lol

one bad season in Antrim and your clubs deemed finished with no talent coming through it seems at times.

Loughgiel would still be my team to beat this year mainly due to the fact that they still have a strong team. a winter off will have done them more good than anything
hurl like f**k boi!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Dunloy realist on January 19, 2015, 10:14:46 AM

are use like us now SIE, done out and finished lol

one bad season in Antrim and your clubs deemed finished with no talent coming through it seems at times.

Loughgiel would still be my team to beat this year mainly due to the fact that they still have a strong team. a winter off will have done them more good than anything

A winter off for the Dall also so everyone on level playing field :)
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

No great excitement in the draw. Rossa could put it up to ballycastle. Should be strong favourites in other 3 games though.

Milltown Row2

Perfect draw for the county.... Well done

Sleeping giant

How does semis work out.Are they known yet?
1983 & 2012 All Ireland Champions.

Milltown Row2