Hunger strike commemoration at a GAA ground

Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Myles Na G.

Quote from: JUMBODEMPSEY on August 28, 2009, 11:53:27 PM
People being far too politically correct trying to score points.
The sacrafice made by the hunger strikers lit a flame that remained in peoples hearts and minds making the Irish people in the occupied 6 fight on against oppression and whether people like it or not this grew in to what we call the peace process today.
Any Gael that remembers going to football games being searched and stopped at check points for hours, sometimes missing games know how far things have come on and it is because of the courage and belief of these type of men that things were made possible.

As Bobby Sands famously said "OUR REVENGE WILL BE THE LAUGHTER OF OUR CHILDREN"

When you see kids running about in their club and county colours nowadays its a far cry from the days when this was forbidden in many areas.

THE GAA SHOULD BE PROUD TO BE ASSOCIATED WITH THESE GREAT MEN.
Arse about face logic. The peace process was only possible because the comrades of the hunger strikers finally realised that their 'armed struggle' was not going to achieve its objectives and opened up channels of communication to the British government in order to bring the thing to an end. The peace that we enjoy today could have been enjoyed decades earlier had it not been for the stupidity and short sightedness of people like Sands and his comrades. Great men? Absolutely not. Men with great hatred and fanatic hearts, as Yeats said.

Zapatista

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 29, 2009, 07:57:29 AM
Arse about face logic. The peace process was only possible because the comrades of the hunger strikers finally realised that their 'armed struggle' was not going to achieve its objectives and opened up channels of communication to the British government in order to bring the thing to an end. The peace that we enjoy today could have been enjoyed decades earlier had it not been for the stupidity and short sightedness of people like Sands and his comrades. Great men? Absolutely not. Men with great hatred and fanatic hearts, as Yeats said.

Either way the Hungershrike led to that.

I don't know were your getting your 'decades' from as the civil rights movement was only one decade before and during one demonstration the British Army shot 27 people killing 13. It's your definition of peace I suppose - "Peace is not the absence of war but the presence of justice."

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Zapatista on August 29, 2009, 08:06:59 AM

Either way the Hungershrike led to that.

I don't know were your getting your 'decades' from as the civil rights movement was only one decade before and during one demonstration the British Army shot 27 people killing 13. It's your definition of peace I suppose - "Peace is not the absence of war but the presence of justice."
The ceasefires of the 1990's were a couple of decades after the civil rights marches (I said people like Sands and his comrades - I was referring to the republican movement in general). Most of the demands of the civil rights people had been met by the early 1970's - one man, one vote, an end to discrimination in housing and employment practices, etc. By this stage, however, Irish republicans had moved the goalposts. Equal treatment was no longer enough - the British presence in Ireland had to go.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 28, 2009, 06:20:28 PM
Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 28, 2009, 11:33:29 AM
But I expect with whingers like you continuing the non-case, they will be harrassed into making some kind of move that will end up alienating small rural communities in the south/west regions of Ireland where the GAA club/pitch is the only place to hold events.
And having political rallies in GAA grounds doesn't alienate anyone?

if you reference the anti-sectarian aspect - what the hell are you talking about if you are not trying to imply that it has something to do with that.
youve been caught out and are digging deeper to try to justify your opinion.
I quoted the full rule. I didn't edit it. The rule mentioned that the GAA is 'Non-Sectarian'. I didn't delete that bit. Big deal.
As for being caught out, I have no problem in standing over what I have posted. The fact that you misunderstood is your problem.

To put the matter to bed, show us where the GAA are also in agreement with you over the rules being broken. you must have some statement issude by them stating such.
Where did I say that the GAA was in agreement with me? Are you making stuff up?
All I have done is put forward my argument as to why I think it is against the rules.

You'll note that the GAA have not actually issued a proper statement on this as yet - they have not unequivocally stated that this wasn't in breach of the rules. If it was as clear cut as you think, surely they'd just issue a statement and have it done with. So far, it has been pretty much 'no comment'.

And when pretty much the same thing happened in Casement a few years ago, the GAA denied SF All Ireland tickets. Maybe not a credible sanction, but surely an acknowledgement that their actions were inappropriate and not acceptable to the organisation(?)
at last - yes, this is your opinion.
thats all.

looks like its your opinion on the demands of the prisoners. but I am sure you can tell them or those that knew them what they actually meant !  ::)

JUMBODEMPSEY

[/quote]

It took the bomb and the bullet to get the Brits to listen. John Hume wasn't a violent man and i recall a peaceful protest in which he got smacked in the head with a batton.

The Hunger Strikers gained the support for Irish Nationalism to press on and force the Brits to talk and solve the problem.

Whatever way you want to look at it things wouldn't be the way they are today without the help of men like the Hunger Strikers and the IRA. What happened when the Irish government said they were going to send troops up to protect  the people? They stopped short of the border and stood idly by. 

Fear ón Srath Bán

So you resurface again, eventually, how about answering the question I put to you a week ago?

Bullshit with it, as usual, the British realised that they were in a no-win situation (the British army moreso than their political masters), and stalemate didn't appeal to their imperial sensitivities. There would be no 'peace' today, and there still isn't for a whole lot of people that you can't see from your Ivory Tower, i.e., The Heights in Coleraine, except the 'peace' of discrimination and subjugation, were it not for the resolve of those 10 men and more.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Myles Na G.

The peace process produced nothing that wasn't on offer at Sunningdale in the 70's. The only difference this time around was that the penny finally dropped with both republicans and the DUP that this was as good as it gets. Republicans had to drop their opposition to the 'unionist veto' and accept unity by consent instead (no, I don't understand the difference either). They had to drop their demand for British withdrawal and instead take up their places at Stormont, helping administer British rule. The DUP, meanwhile, had to accept that majority rule was never coming back and that they were going to have share power with fenians. All this was evident to anyone with a bit of wit in the mid 70's. The hunger strikers needn't have died. They needn't even have been in prison, if only their leaders had displayed a bit more vision.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 29, 2009, 08:20:51 PM
The peace process produced nothing that wasn't on offer at Sunningdale in the 70's.

Bravo, slow learner. Now, tell us who brought that particular institution down?

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 29, 2009, 08:27:40 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 29, 2009, 08:20:51 PM
The peace process produced nothing that wasn't on offer at Sunningdale in the 70's.

Bravo, slow learner. Now, tell us who brought that particular institution down?
It was brought down by loyalists, but republicans weren't supporting it either.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 29, 2009, 08:46:49 PM

D'oh! Therefore the Brits caved in to the loyalists, ergo... plus ça change, oui? Carry on Paddy, sure we'll just cave in here and you just continue to tug the forelock there as usual, there's a good lapdog!

Myles Na G.

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 29, 2009, 09:37:59 PM
Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 29, 2009, 08:46:49 PM

D'oh! Therefore the Brits caved in to the loyalists, ergo... plus ça change, oui? Carry on Paddy, sure we'll just cave in here and you just continue to tug the forelock there as usual, there's a good lapdog!
Haven't a clue what that means. Do you?

Fear ón Srath Bán

orangeman

We're going well now :

GAA school names 'not released' 

Eight controlled schools have worked with the GAA
The NI education minister will not release the names of eight controlled schools which offer GAA coaching because she fears it might endanger their security.
The DUP's Michelle McIlveen had requested the information.

Instead the minister, Catriona Ruane, has listed all the schools which receive coaching from either the GAA or the Irish Football Association (IFA).

She said he did not want to place any school in "an invidious position."

Controlled schools are attended mainly by Protestant children while the GAA is an organisation which draws it members almost exclusively from the Catholic community.

The eight schools in question are among 600 schools participating in the Primary Sports Programme.

It has been running since 2007 and involves coaches from the GAA and IFA working with children between the ages of four and eight.

Sixty two coaches work in 600 schools with over 32,000 children

armaghniac

Does controlled schools include so called integrated schools, or are these a separate category?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Main Street

It's official

Hunger strike commemoration NOT linked to GAA'

"The main centre for the event, as publicly advertised, was Galbally community centre which is not a GAA property."

The report to the minister from the director of Ulster GAA Danny Murphy said the Tyrone county committee, the Ulster council, and the central council of the GAA were not involved in any way with the events.

The report added there was no evidence that Galbally Pearse's GAA club organised the event in contravention to GAA rules prohibiting use of premises for party political purposes.

The GAA plans to produce a clear policy document on the use of association property in the coming weeks and sent out a recent reminder of the rules to members.

Mr McCausland said he would be reviewing the GAA correspondence to ensure it adequately addressed all issues raised.

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/breaking-news/uk-ireland/hunger-strike-not-linked-to-gaa-14803948.html#ixzz0nd42h0yD