Started by Maguire01, August 19, 2009, 06:34:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 26, 2009, 06:27:05 PM
For those who don't think Rule 7a has been breached, what about the following:

QuoteCONTROL OF ASSOCIATION PROPERTY
Uses of Property
44(a)
All property including grounds, Club Houses, Halls, Dressing Rooms and Handball Alleys owned or controlled by units of the Association shall be used only for the purpose of or in connection with the playing of the Games controlled by the Association, and for such other purposes not in conflict with the Aims and Objects of the Association, that may be sanctioned from time to time by the Central Council.

Therefore, as rule 7 refers to the GAA being 'Non-Party Political/Non-Sectarian' (surely an objective of the Association), was this use of the grounds not in breach of Rule 44?
scraping the bottom of the barrel now at attempting to say that this was now sectarian and in breach of any GAA rule or law let alone 7 , 44 or anything else you poorly attempt to drag into the equation.

if it was against GAA laws to not allow political parties to use the facilities - then they woul dsurely not be allowed.
you cut off the point of the rules to attempt to prove you rpoint - 'the GAA shall not be party political or sectarian'.

no marks out of 10 for you there.
no rule or law has been broken.

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 26, 2009, 06:59:51 PM

Uses of Property
44(a)
All property including grounds, Club Houses, Halls, Dressing Rooms and Handball Alleys owned or controlled by units of the Association shall be used only for the purpose of or in connection with the playing of the Games controlled by the Association, and for such other purposes not in conflict with the Aims and Objects of the Association, that may be sanctioned from time to time by the Central Council.

Therefore, as rule 7 refers to the GAA being 'Non-Party Political/Non-Sectarian' (surely an objective of the Association), was this use of the grounds not in breach of Rule 44?
scraping the bottom of the barrel now at attempting to say that this was now sectarian and in breach of any GAA rule or law let alone 7 , 44 or anything else you poorly attempt to drag into the equation.
Scraping the bottom of the barrel? How so? By having a read at the rules governing GAA grounds? Rule 7 is a bit vague, so I checked to see if there was a specific rule on the use of grounds to try and clarify the issue.

My logic is very simple:

1 - Rule 44 states that grounds shall be used only for the purpose of or in connection with the playing of the Games controlled by the Association, and for such other purposes not in conflict with the Aims and Objects of the Association.
2 - It's a clear objective of the Association to be non party-political.
3 - The event in Galbally was organised by a political party (you admitted yourself that it "probably was" a SF event), therefore the grounds were used for party-political purposes.

if it was against GAA laws to not allow political parties to use the facilities - then they woul dsurely not be allowed.
Yes, you'd think.

you cut off the point of the rules to attempt to prove you rpoint - 'the GAA shall not be party political or sectarian'.
Can you explain - i can't understand what you're saying here - what did I cut off?

no marks out of 10 for you there.
no rule or law has been broken.
Good job i'm not looking for marks.

stew

Quote from: zoyler on August 26, 2009, 10:52:34 AM
Please no more of this nonsense about it being a 'community event' - it was a Sinn Fein event full stop.  If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck its a duck!
Produce your evidence Donald.

:D :D :D

Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Maguire01

Quote from: stew on August 26, 2009, 08:52:08 PM

Please no more of this nonsense about it being a 'community event' - it was a Sinn Fein event full stop.  If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck its a duck!

QuoteCalling for a large mobilisation on Sunday were the three Sinn Féin MPs representing County Tyrone; Martin McGuinness, Michelle Gildernew and Pat Doherty.
In a joint statement the three MPs said:

"We are calling for people not only from County Tyrone but from across Ireland to make an effort to commemorate the sacrifices made and to celebrate the lives of the hunger strikers.

"We appeal to all those who recognise the contribution of the hunger strikers to the cause of Irish freedom to come to Galbally this Sunday. We would especially encourage ex-POWs to attend as a good opportunity to meet up with former comrades and show solidarity with the comrades who are no longer with us.

"We also encourage the republican and indeed the wider community to take part in many of the other events being organised throughout County Tyrone, these include processions, panel discussions, exhibitions and events coinciding with Na Fianna Éireann's centenary celebrations."

http://www.anphoblacht.com/news/detail/38693

Zapatista

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 26, 2009, 10:34:27 PM

QuoteCalling for a large mobilisation on Sunday were the three Sinn Féin MPs representing County Tyrone; Martin McGuinness, Michelle Gildernew and Pat Doherty.

"We are calling for people not only from County Tyrone but from across Ireland to make an effort to commemorate the sacrifices made and to celebrate the lives of the hunger strikers.

"We appeal to all those who recognise the contribution of the hunger strikers to the cause of Irish freedom to come to Galbally this Sunday. We would especially encourage ex-POWs to attend as a good opportunity to meet up with former comrades and show solidarity with the comrades who are no longer with us.

"We also encourage the republican and indeed the wider community to take part in many of the other events being organised throughout County Tyrone, these include processions, panel discussions, exhibitions and events coinciding with Na Fianna Éireann's centenary celebrations."

Can't argue with that. Fair play to them.

Donagh

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 26, 2009, 06:12:13 PM
Many posters on this thread (including some that wouldn't be the most moderate of sorts) have agreed that there would be fear in standing up and opposing something like this. You probably wouldn't see it from your position, but that doesn't mean it isn't the case.

I was jumped on by numerous posters for having the audacity to question the appropriateness of this event - and that's as anonymous poster on an internet message board. Do you really think that any normal club member with objections would stand up and publically oppose an event like this?
Yes any active member who had a problem with it would, as would I if I thought it broke any rules.

It's your opinion that no rules were breached. Many people consider this to have been a party political event - i.e. a Sinn Fein event. As such, would it not be a breach of the rules?

And it's your opinion that a rule was breached - so what?

Donagh

Where does it say there that it's a SF event? I thought you had already conceded that the political allegiances of the participants are not relevant.

Donagh

Uses of Property
44(a)

No, it wasn't party political. It was a community based commeration. Why don't you take a run up to Galbally and check the book to see who hired it out?

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Donagh on August 27, 2009, 09:36:40 AM

Uses of Property
44(a)

No, it wasn't party political. It was a community based commeration. Why don't you take a run up to Galbally and check the book to see who hired it out?
a clear case of his sticking his head in the sand so dont waste your time on him.
multiple pages later an he still hasnt got that the rules were not broken only in his own mind.

the rally and what it did , in no way 'conflicted' with the 'aims' of the GAA.
I see he tried to play the 'sectarian' card now FFS  ::) - but failed miserably.
The rally was not a GAA rally and therefore did not cross into bringing the GAA into the party political realm.

but I am sure he will continue to try to find fault where there is none.

its quite obv that the GAA will have to ban all events (gambling - poker/race nights) , F/FG and other money making room/grounds hiring out to fund their clubs - if this is not going tohappen again.

talktothehand

Quote from: Myles Na G. on August 25, 2009, 05:37:13 PM
in our estate we had a man kicked to death in front of his wife and another nearly so. if you think i'm going to listen to you spouting shite and let it go unchallenged you are very much mistaken. you may be ashamed of what you are pal but i'm not. you sound like an alliance candidate who has never lived in ireland. this is a GAA discussion board so i fail to see the point you were making. it was certainly off topic at the very least. no one said sectarianism was a one way street but my point was in relation to northern irish catholics having a gaelic/irish/republican viewpoint that is dangerous to your own safety. when the IRA walk into the fountain with 100 people(like the UDA did here) then i will agree with the arguement you were trying to make.
And when you've finished with the therapy, try an anger management course.  :)

TOOL

Maguire01

Quote from: Donagh on August 27, 2009, 09:25:22 AM
Many posters on this thread (including some that wouldn't be the most moderate of sorts) have agreed that there would be fear in standing up and opposing something like this. You probably wouldn't see it from your position, but that doesn't mean it isn't the case.

I was jumped on by numerous posters for having the audacity to question the appropriateness of this event - and that's as anonymous poster on an internet message board. Do you really think that any normal club member with objections would stand up and publically oppose an event like this?
Yes any active member who had a problem with it would, as would I if I thought it broke any rules.
I don't think they would. Many on here have agreed with me.
Just because you wouldn't have an issue with standing up and objecting to something doesn't mean others wouldn't.

Maguire01

Quote from: Donagh on August 27, 2009, 09:27:23 AM

Where does it say there that it's a SF event? I thought you had already conceded that the political allegiances of the participants are not relevant.
Well SF were clearly promoting it - does that make them 'the promoters'?

Uses of Property
44(a)

What would that prove? You could write anything in the book.

Maguire01

Quote from: lynchbhoy on August 27, 2009, 10:01:59 AM

Uses of Property
44(a)

a clear case of his sticking his head in the sand so dont waste your time on him.
multiple pages later an he still hasnt got that the rules were not broken only in his own mind.
If I was 'sticking my head in the sand', i'd be ignoring the whole issue, just brushing it under the carpet.

the rally and what it did , in no way 'conflicted' with the 'aims' of the GAA.
I see he tried to play the 'sectarian' card now FFS  ::) - but failed miserably.
I didn't try and play the 'sectarian card' at all, I just quoted the full rule, which happened to mention the GAA being non-sectarian. I believe this event broke the rules on the basis of being party-political, not on the basis of the non-sectarian rule.

The rally was not a GAA rally and therefore did not cross into bringing the GAA into the party political realm.
That's the whole point! It wasn't a GAA rally. It was a political one. But it was on a GAA ground.
Seriously.

Donagh

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 27, 2009, 06:04:18 PM
Well SF were clearly promoting it - does that make them 'the promoters'?

Ye wha? Is there a rule that says events in GAA grounds shall not be promoted by political parties? I passed pleasantries with Gerry Adams at the Ulster Final - where SF promoting that as well?

What would that prove? You could write anything in the book.

Anytime I've booked a GAA facility, I've put my name in the book or that of the organisation I represent. Normally there will be someone in the club to vouch for my identity - are you saying this didn't happen on this occasion? Why have you so little faith in Galbally - because you think they're all rabid Shinners or the Shinners have infiltrated and taken over the club?  As I said before tinfoil hat stuff.

Donagh

Quote from: Maguire01 on August 27, 2009, 05:59:44 PM
I don't think they would. Many on here have agreed with me.
Just because you wouldn't have an issue with standing up and objecting to something doesn't mean others wouldn't.

Well I would suggest that those who would agree you haven't thought it through because I yet to come across a club AGM where anyone given half a chance isn't more than happy to sound off ad nauseum about anything and everyone regardless of political or personal feelings.