1 (0.9%)
Last 16
7 (6.1%)
Third in the group and Europa League
32 (27.8%)
Bottom of the group
39 (33.9%)

Total Members Voted: 115

Author Topic: The Offical Glasgow Celtic thread  (Read 805578 times)

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
Re: The Offical Glasgow Celtic thread
« Reply #12915 on: December 06, 2017, 09:02:24 PM »
I enjoyed Celtic's second half performance last night. They showed guts and no little skill on the ball considering the value of the team in footballing terms. They rode their luck in the first half and the goal was unlucky. Celtic fans need to be realistic as to their expectations. There are PL teams struggling in the EL with bigger budgets than Celtic. So well done to BR and the team they did what was required.

There's no room for calm and measured posts on this forum, what are you thinking?  ;D
Anderlecht have a bigger budget than us. If we better teams like that, I'm happy. We got a bollocks of a group for the second year in a row. I would have fancied us in the Liverpool or Man U groups to have made a play for second.

Bigger budget than Celtic? Belgium league?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

T Fearon

• View Profile
« Reply #12916 on: December 07, 2017, 05:35:27 AM »
Inter Milan had a massively bigger budget than Celtic in 1967.

Looks like a draw against a European giant awaits in the Europa League,which doesn't augur well for progress

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #12917 on: December 07, 2017, 11:07:03 AM »
Inter Milan had a massively bigger budget than Celtic in 1967.

Looks like a draw against a European giant awaits in the Europa League,which doesn't augur well for progress

what were the two budgets?

HiMucker

• View Profile
« Reply #12918 on: December 07, 2017, 11:12:51 AM »
I enjoyed Celtic's second half performance last night. They showed guts and no little skill on the ball considering the value of the team in footballing terms. They rode their luck in the first half and the goal was unlucky. Celtic fans need to be realistic as to their expectations. There are PL teams struggling in the EL with bigger budgets than Celtic. So well done to BR and the team they did what was required.

There's no room for calm and measured posts on this forum, what are you thinking?  ;D
Anderlecht have a bigger budget than us. If we better teams like that, I'm happy. We got a bollocks of a group for the second year in a row. I would have fancied us in the Liverpool or Man U groups to have made a play for second.

Bigger budget than Celtic? Belgium league?
Celtic are worth E57.8 mil,  Anderlecht are worth E100.85.

Milltown Row2

• It was the Ref that did it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12919 on: December 07, 2017, 12:55:25 PM »
Ground capacity of Anderlecht is 21,000, they must generate money from transfers, merchandise , tv?
Anything I post is not the view of the County Board!! Nobody died in the making of this post ;-)

illdecide

• Quit your Jibba Jabbing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #12920 on: December 07, 2017, 01:51:23 PM »
Celtic have always got a tough group in CL (seeding doesn't help).

Jasus Tony 67? I know Inter had and prob always will have a bigger budget than Celtic but Celtic were one of the top teams in the World then and for a decade after too.

Dunno where BR got his info from but i did hear him saying Anderlecht had a bigger budget than Celtic's...
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

StGallsGAA

• View Profile
« Reply #12921 on: December 10, 2017, 02:26:46 PM »
Good comeback by Hibs and fair play to Lennon.  Celtic did a Liverpool!

T Fearon

• View Profile
« Reply #12922 on: December 10, 2017, 02:27:51 PM »
Ambrose causes an opposition goal agsinst Celtic! How many times?😂😂

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #12923 on: December 10, 2017, 08:13:44 PM »
Celtic have always got a tough group in CL (seeding doesn't help).

Jasus Tony 67? I know Inter had and prob always will have a bigger budget than Celtic but Celtic were one of the top teams in the World then and for a decade after too.

Dunno where BR got his info from but i did hear him saying Anderlecht had a bigger budget than Celtic's...
Not that it should have been mentioned by Brendan but Anderlecht do have an annual player wage bill of about Eur40m, last season I thought they made Man U work hard for their EL victory. They were crap in their home game v Celtic but have improved a lot since then. I think Celtic will do alright in the EL even if they didn't handle that final CL game with great finesse.

T Fearon

• View Profile
« Reply #12924 on: December 10, 2017, 08:42:18 PM »
I think Brendan is facing his most challenging period now.The Champions League Campaign cannot be in any way regarded as successful,thank God we were fortunate to meet an Anderlecht side out of sorts in Belgium.Over the last few league games the invincible domestic record has been seriously threatened.Celtic a couple of months ago would not have surrendered a two goal lead at Hibs.

Brendan's stock will not be raised by winning trophies in Scotland,it will only be by doing things in Europe and that has been an abject failure,and I think he knows this.Another heavy defeat in the Europa League,where they are unseeded,could well see things unravel.It would be hard for the support to have much enthusiasm for the remainder of the domestic season,even if another treble is secured.

Celtic were well beaten by Anderlecht at home,even though the score was only one nil,and while there is an excuse for PSG and Bayern Munich doing this,there is none for being outclassed by Anderlecht at home.

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #12925 on: December 10, 2017, 09:19:33 PM »
Anderlecht impressed in Celtic Park until they scored, then they chose to protect their winning margin in what was a stunning lack of ambition, unless they had just blown their gasket fitness wise.

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #12926 on: December 10, 2017, 11:35:26 PM »
I think Brendan is facing his most challenging period now.The Champions League Campaign cannot be in any way regarded as successful,thank God we were fortunate to meet an Anderlecht side out of sorts in Belgium.Over the last few league games the invincible domestic record has been seriously threatened.Celtic a couple of months ago would not have surrendered a two goal lead at Hibs.

Brendan's stock will not be raised by winning trophies in Scotland,it will only be by doing things in Europe and that has been an abject failure,and I think he knows this.Another heavy defeat in the Europa League,where they are unseeded,could well see things unravel.It would be hard for the support to have much enthusiasm for the remainder of the domestic season,even if another treble is secured.

Celtic were well beaten by Anderlecht at home,even though the score was only one nil,and while there is an excuse for PSG and Bayern Munich doing this,there is none for being outclassed by Anderlecht at home.

You don't know the celtic support

tonto1888

• View Profile
« Reply #12927 on: December 11, 2017, 09:06:55 AM »

general_lee

• View Profile
« Reply #12928 on: December 11, 2017, 10:33:05 AM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42292297

interesting read
Champions league is shite to be honest. As is football in general. The most powerful clubs nowadays are clubs like City and PSG who have no tradition. Players just follow the money. The romance is long gone. Clubs like Celtic are an afterthought, even though they epitomise, or should epitomise, what European football is all about.

illdecide

• Quit your Jibba Jabbing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #12929 on: December 11, 2017, 10:44:55 AM »
Good shout General Lee...sad but true.

Celtic's defensive performance was really poor yesterday, i know the conditions were poor too but we really are a shambles and i'm waiting patiently to see what BR does either in January or summer for signings.
Why is BR not trying out K. Ajer more, anytime i've seen him play he's been decent and with him being so young it's the only way to develop him. Our central defense is so poor i can't believe we're unbeaten domestically for so long and Lustig is def getting caught out more and more these days too...big Boyata was poor yesterday again too...K Tierney is the only one we can rely on atm and even he's not playing the way he was earlier in the season.
Maybe the game are catching up on the legs now having played 32 competitive games already and if we can just make it to the winter break unbeaten and recharge the batteries...here's hoping.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch