1 (0.7%)
Last 16
10 (6.8%)
Third in the group and Europa League
38 (26%)
Bottom of the group
52 (35.6%)

Total Members Voted: 146

Author Topic: The Offical Glasgow Celtic thread  (Read 1163864 times)

Main Street

• View Profile
Re: The Offical Glasgow Celtic thread
« Reply #14670 on: November 28, 2019, 08:14:40 PM »
Looks like just 50% of the Green Brigade section has been left empty. 
I take it that UEFA are not bothered by renditions of old classics such as BOTOB?

under the bar

• View Profile
« Reply #14671 on: November 28, 2019, 09:30:20 PM »
I take it that UEFA are not bothered by renditions of old classics such as BOTOB?

No, but why would they be?

illdecide

• Quit your Jibba Jabbing Fool
    • View Profile
« Reply #14672 on: November 28, 2019, 10:17:18 PM »

It was Celtic that closed the section..no UEFA. We love the atmosphere the GB bring to the matches but they have to stop the flares and silly banners before someone is seriously hurt or killed
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

under the bar

• View Profile
« Reply #14673 on: November 28, 2019, 10:18:17 PM »
Celtic playing very well but possibly Lennon saying "the players are giving me everything I ask for and more..." and waxing lyrical about them is not the best public message to young players.  Maybe "another good performance but still a number of areas we need to inprove on" would  keep them on their toes?

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #14674 on: November 28, 2019, 10:26:57 PM »

It was Celtic that closed the section..no UEFA. We love the atmosphere the GB bring to the matches but they have to stop the flares and silly banners before someone is seriously hurt or killed
The flares for sure, they're acts of lunacy but Mussolini was worth it.

marty34

• View Profile
« Reply #14675 on: November 28, 2019, 10:29:46 PM »
Celtic playing very well but possibly Lennon saying "the players are giving me everything I ask for and more..." and waxing lyrical about them is not the best public message to young players.  Maybe "another good performance but still a number of areas we need to inprove on" would  keep them on their toes?

Confidence must be high after that run of games but a bad result will puncture the balloon.  But it's a real good run at Euro level - topping the group with a game to spare and doing a double over Lazio.  Could afford to rest Edouard this evening also.  Lads must be in good form in training these days.

Be interesting to see what Lennon does in final game: keep same team or make wholesale changes? December has a lot of games so key players need rested.

Important to going as the bluemen are tight behind in both competitions.  Cup final will be a big boost, to whoever wins it.

illdecide

• View Profile
« Reply #14676 on: November 28, 2019, 10:46:04 PM »
Yeah things are good at the min but it only takes 2 bad results to change everything...I would send over a fairly strong team to Romania but making sure the players in need of a game get one, I wouldn't do what OGS done today with Man U.

When will these guys be back needing games?
Jozo Simunovic
Boli Bolingoli
Hatem Abd Elhamed
Scott Sinclair (not injured)
Jonny Hayes
Marian Shved
Tom Rogic (needs games)
Mikey Johnston (needs games)
Mohamed Elyounoussi
Leigh Griffiths (needs games)
Vakoun Issouf Bayo
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 10:51:31 PM by illdecide »

under the bar

• View Profile
« Reply #14677 on: November 29, 2019, 12:43:14 AM »

Confidence must be high after that run of games but a bad result will puncture the balloon.  But it's a real good run at Euro level - topping the group with a game to spare and doing a double over Lazio.  Could afford to rest Edouard this evening also.  Lads must be in good form in training these days.

Be interesting to see what Lennon does in final game: keep same team or make wholesale changes? December has a lot of games so key players need rested.

Important to going as the bluemen are tight behind in both competitions.  Cup final will be a big boost, to whoever wins it.
Given that the mini-Liverpool filth is breathing down their necks domestically, I expect Lennon will rest Celtic players v Cluj. The cup final means very little in league terms but my wish would be for a Celtic 6-3 win with Morelos scoring a hat-trick to put himself in the January shop window
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 07:29:28 AM by under the bar »

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #14678 on: November 30, 2019, 04:23:06 AM »
The news report on the Celtic AGM was depressing. Without the Green Brigade  the  Celtic Park experience is popcorn and soda. Lennon who like other managers is partial to going over to that corner to receive the acclaim and pose for pictures while doing so, was strangely silent at the agm, but was loud in his praise for Lawell who is apparently worth every penny of his 3.5m salary.. The board are getting peed off with the riff raff who poke  the biting political element into the banners/flags.

bannside

• View Profile
« Reply #14679 on: November 30, 2019, 08:29:17 AM »
Lowell gets bad press at times but commercially he is one of the most astute around. There's over 200m in assets with players like Big Kris, Julien, Christie, Eduarde, Mikel, Mc Gregor etc, and currently we have the strongest panel ever. Players like Tom Rogic can't get a game atm! I reckon he knew all about Rodgers leaving too, but the 10m Leicester had to pay for breaking his contract was attractive to Lawell, who makes his own bonuses on achieving bottom line annual profitability. Meanwhile the club is set to obtain another 10m for our achievement to date in this years Europa League and that still has some way to go, hopefully.

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #14680 on: November 30, 2019, 12:48:21 PM »
Yes the overall squad standard has improved and competition to start in the first 11 has intensified muich to the benefit of the standard of play. Though  I'd say Rogic's tissue of injuries are his main negative factor, a fully fit Rogic would be there or thereabouts in the first 11.
But it's still a football club with an ethos much bigger than what the board think the commercial corporate image could or should be.
Without the green brigade at the heart the atmosphere is dysfunctional, could not even sing YNWA properly. It was the fantastic Rennes support who brought all the colour and the atmosphere.
Has Celtic Park ever been so empty and soulless just before the final whistle of arguably one of the most important european results?

illdecide

• View Profile
« Reply #14681 on: November 30, 2019, 08:22:11 PM »
Yip, that's true and no one is disputing that the GB bring the atmosphere and give a great buzz around the stadium but that doesn't mean they can take the law into their own hands and do what they like consistently getting the club fined match after match. Flares are illegal and so is some of the songs they sing not to mention a small % of their banners, by all means sing and jump up and down and bring colourful banners (jasus even wing the away team up to no end) but do it within the laws of the game and stop getting the club into trouble...all it does is paint us as bad as that other sectarian filth across the city.

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #14682 on: November 30, 2019, 09:37:09 PM »
Yes those are all fair points  and afaics they have all been discussed to the nth degree and what that boils down to is we'll take this bit of the GB but drop that bit. this bit is okay but that bit is not kosher. But the Green Brigade come as a group, not a pick out the best bits and dump the rest.
The songs have changed the overt support for the IRA has been lowered a few notches and who is to say that other aspects like flares wont undergo a rethink , but the boards ultimatum of sorts to the GB is a pile of corporate dung and Lenny is in there bown nosing the financial cost argument.

According to the Examiner, Celtic have been fined 150k over a 6 year period, about a third of that for flares, 42k alone for the Bobby Sands banner,  about 50k of that  in fines for  general supporter stupidity not GB related.

So all in all, 17k GB related fines per annum  in a club which earns about 80m p/a. Even in Uefa circles, Celtic fans matter little in the scheme of things of concern

illdecide

• View Profile
« Reply #14683 on: November 30, 2019, 10:27:06 PM »
The GB (main guys) are in the bottom section (the one they closed), the upper tier of the safe standing section are just normal supporters or guys wanting to join the GB. I think we can all agree that there is no place in the ground for some of these songs and they shouldn't be heard these days but here's the thing...take 5-6 pints and stand in the middle of these guys and you'll be chanting Sean South like the rest of them (Human nature).
As for NL...can you imagine the position he's in? He says one bad thing about PL and your days are numbered, say the wrong thing about the supporters and your days are numbered...as for the fines and figures I wouldn't have a clue if it's correct or not and i wouldn't doubt you, all i know is the GB are class and we need them there but if they can leave the Pyrotechnics away we'll be half way there...

HH

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #14684 on: December 04, 2019, 09:33:50 PM »
Ah well shite!