Greatest Sportsmen of all Time/New Poll for top 5 to Agree on.

Started by Eastern_Pride, August 18, 2009, 10:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatest Sportsman of All Time.

Michael Jordan
Muhammed Ali
Usain Bolt
Lance Armstrong
Tiger Woods
Pele

stew

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 19, 2009, 10:35:18 PM
What's the criteria? Skill? Titles won? Athletic ability? How popular the sport is?

The horsey lads would tick all those boxes, but I reckon Michael Jordan is the greatest athlete I've seen, and he was undoubtedly a winner and had all the skills for basketball. The fact that he was good enough to be a professional minor league baseball player as well, albeit only for a short time, is another indication of his natural athletic ability.

Dieon Saunders was a two sport stud, football and baseball, he was an incredible athlete.

Another wan has to be carl Lewis, phenominal athlete and a born winner and class act.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

AZOffaly

Quote from: stew on August 19, 2009, 10:45:32 PM
What's the criteria? Skill? Titles won? Athletic ability? How popular the sport is?

The horsey lads would tick all those boxes, but I reckon Michael Jordan is the greatest athlete I've seen, and he was undoubtedly a winner and had all the skills for basketball. The fact that he was good enough to be a professional minor league baseball player as well, albeit only for a short time, is another indication of his natural athletic ability.

Dieon Saunders was a two sport stud, football and baseball, he was an incredible athlete.

Another wan has to be carl Lewis, phenominal athlete and a born winner and class act.

Aye, but 'Prime Time' didn't win as much as Jordan. Jordan basically won 6 NBA titles for the Bulls, and was MVP in all 6 finals, as well as league MVP 5 times. 14 times an All Star and 2 Gold Medals at the Olympics. Phenomenal in fairness.

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on August 19, 2009, 11:00:45 PM
Quote from: AZOffaly on August 19, 2009, 10:56:24 PM

Jordan was a freak but people are still under selling the influence Scottie Pippen had on those teams.

Aye, but 'Prime Time' didn't win as much as Jordan. Jordan basically won 6 NBA titles for the Bulls, and was MVP in all 6 finals, as well as league MVP 5 times. 14 times an All Star and 2 Gold Medals at the Olympics. Phenomonal in fairness.

Without a doubt Pippen was class, but when Jordan went playing baseball for 2 years the Bulls weren't half the team. He came back, and they won 3 in a row again.

You don't win anything in a team sport on your own, but for his contribution to two 'three peats' I think Jordan was the best I've seen.

Minder

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 19, 2009, 10:56:24 PM

The horsey lads would tick all those boxes, but I reckon Michael Jordan is the greatest athlete I've seen, and he was undoubtedly a winner and had all the skills for basketball. The fact that he was good enough to be a professional minor league baseball player as well, albeit only for a short time, is another indication of his natural athletic ability

Aye, but 'Prime Time' didn't win as much as Jordan. Jordan basically won 6 NBA titles for the Bulls, and was MVP in all 6 finals, as well as league MVP 5 times. 14 times an All Star and 2 Gold Medals at the Olympics. Phenomenal in fairness.
Not really a fair comparison as "Prime" could not influence what was happening on the offensive side of the ball. In fairness Jordan was the beat I have seen too, not just for talent but for doing it when it mattered.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

The Real Laoislad

You'll Never Walk Alone.

stiffler

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 19, 2009, 10:27:43 PM
I'm making a poll on this I need one person from 5 sports.......
This is the Provisional list: Top 5 we can agree on?

Pele
Michael Schumacher
Tiger Woods
Usain Bolt
Michael Jordan
Muhammed Ali
George Best

you need ali in there mate...
GAABoard Fantasy Cheltenham Competition- Most winners 2009

give her dixie

For me, Ayrton Senna was without doubt the best F1 driver I have seen. He was the fastest driver in an era of the finest drivers in the sport. Prost, Lauder, Mansell. His record of 63 poles is one that even Schumacher couldn't beat. (Although he beat every other record).

Magic Johnson gets the nod in front of Jordan. He was the complete player, and won 5 championships. His career was cut short due to HIV, and during the 80's, his duel with Larry Bird and the Celtics was just amazing. Majic winning 5 titles with the Lakers, and Bird 3 with the Celtics in the 80's. Magic's trademark "no look pass" was a sight to behold. Check out a few of his moments below:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5ftx7_magic-johnson-top-10-plays-career_sport

In golf, I would go for Jack Nickalus, however, Tiger is someting special.

Ali in boxing is a no brainer for me. Awesome.

Although drug cheating has tarnished cycling, I still regard Lance Armstrong as an incredible sportsman.

Colin McRae was something special, and to witness his driving on the stages was just mind blowing.
He was some driver, who only knew to go flat out, all the time!!!! May he rest in peace. Check him out in this video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zwb-RNbdx5U

For his goal against England in '86, Maradonna gets my vote for soccer.

In GAA, as aTyrone man, Peter Canavan gets the nod all day long...................... Legend................

next stop, September 10, for number 4......

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 19, 2009, 10:27:43 PM
I'm making a poll on this I need one person from 5 sports.......
This is the Provisional list: Top 5 we can agree on?

Pele
Michael Schumacher
Tiger Woods
Usain Bolt
Michael Jordan
Muhammed Ali
George Best

Why's Phil Taylor not on this list?? If Schumacher can get in for simply driving a car and Woods for hitting a small ball around a well maintained lawn then why not the Power!!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

give her dixie

Why's Phil Taylor not on this list?? If Schumacher can get in for simply driving a car and Woods for hitting a small ball around a well maintained lawn then why not the Power!!

If you include Phil, what about Jockey Wilson?

To update my previous list, I have to include Alex Higgins. Genius on the green baize!
next stop, September 10, for number 4......

muppet

Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 19, 2009, 08:30:36 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2009, 08:28:15 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 19, 2009, 08:27:19 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on August 19, 2009, 06:48:18 PM
Quote from: Sandino on August 19, 2009, 06:45:03 PM
Personal opinion I know but George Best should be nowhere near this list.

Why, 'cos he was a Prod?
probably more to do with him being a wife beater.

Should someones private make a difference to them being regarded as a top Sportsman or not?

Would someone rue out an author for the Booker prize because they were crap at golf?

Ali should be in without question. Best should miss out simply because there were a couple better, Pele and Diego IMHO.
MWWSI 2017

Eastern_Pride

Two definites then.

Boxing : Muhammed Ali
Basketball: Michael Jordan

One more for Athletics and two other major sports I,m thinking long distance runner or all round hero.

Sports Suggestions: Rugby, Soccer, GAA, Swimming, Ice Hockey, NFL, Baseball, Cricket, Cycling, Tennis, Golf, F1/Colin McCrae, Rowing
One from athletics and two from the list above, other sports  will not be considered unless overwhelmingly good examples
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

bcarrier

onepoll.com have already decided.

The top five Greatest Sportsman Ever are:

1 Muhammad Ali
2 Steve Redgrave
3 David Beckham
4 Pele
5 Michael Schumacher(ANI)

Democracy doesnt work.

SidelineKick

Quote from: muppet on August 20, 2009, 12:00:33 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 19, 2009, 08:30:36 PM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2009, 08:28:15 PM
Quote from: gallsman on August 19, 2009, 08:27:19 PM
Quote from: SidelineKick on August 19, 2009, 06:48:18 PM
Quote from: Sandino on August 19, 2009, 06:45:03 PM
Personal opinion I know but George Best should be nowhere near this list.

Why, 'cos he was a Prod?
probably more to do with him being a wife beater.

Should someones private make a difference to them being regarded as a top Sportsman or not?

Would someone rue out an author for the Booker prize because they were crap at golf?

Ali should be in without question. Best should miss out simply because there were a couple better, Pele and Diego IMHO.

I dont think you can be jailed, or looked down upon by almost all of society for being crap at golf.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.