Best teacher

Started by irunthev, August 18, 2009, 01:34:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

Was reminiscing the other night with a mate about school and we came across the topic of best teacher we had, looking back with adult eyes, rather than the somewhat jaundiced eyes of youth. Mine would be Teresa McGlone at Omagh CBS in the mid-1980s.
Also came across subject of worst teacher, which would be a totally unfair thread to start, so we'll stick with best teacher.

Over the Bar

No good thread unless you post a picture of her!  ;)

irunthev

Quote from: Over the Bar on August 18, 2009, 01:37:28 PM
No good thread unless you post a picture of her!  ;)

She must be nearly 60 now...... best not

5 Sams

"Snooley" Murphy....Christian Brother in the Abbey who taught me Irish at A level....absolutely inspirational when it came to the language and culture.....he was from Wexford though so he knew fcuk all about football (then)  ;)

As for his namesake from Lislea....the less said the better.
The Aristocrat Years

illdecide

I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

ziggysego

Dad. Who better to teach you about life, than your own father.
Testing Accessibility

irunthev

Quote from: ziggysego on August 18, 2009, 02:25:11 PM

I'm just off to get some hankies ;D

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: ziggysego on August 18, 2009, 02:25:11 PM
Well isn't that just lovely..................
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

stpauls

Quote from: 5 Sams on August 18, 2009, 02:14:30 PM

that's who i thought you were talking about until you mentioned he was from Wexford!!
I was actually lucky never to have had to enjure Hughie 'Fag' Murphy thank god!!

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: stpauls on August 18, 2009, 04:43:12 PM

that's who i thought you were talking about until you mentioned he was from Wexford!!
I was actually lucky never to have had to enjure Hughie 'Fag' Murphy thank god!!

Nevermind Hughie for Irish, who the hell was your English teacher, Brother Nannery!!!!  Hughie was actually one of my favourite teachers but that may be because we had a very similar approach to things.  I heard a  story about Hughie but it may be urban legend.  He was coming to the end of his playing career and was full back for Mullaghbawn.  I had 3 uncles on the team and the youngest was probably the most talented.  They were playing against Big Sam's team, Madden I think, and he cleaved my uncle with a false one.  Hughie ran the lenght of the field and smacked Sam so hard he finished his career.  It also finished Hughie's as he never played again.

Anyway, I also had great time for the west Belfast Yank Dr A.D McDonnell and Muiris Mac Cabhaid, two big influences in my academic life!

Orior

I used to like the Rate My Teacher site, but it became a bit abused as some posters here kept voting for themselves

http://www.ratemyteacher.com
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

irunthev

Quote from: Orior on August 18, 2009, 07:11:21 PM
I used to like the Rate My Teacher site, but it became a bit abused as some posters here kept voting for themselves

http://www.ratemyteacher.com

I friend of mine is a teacher and one student posted that he must be the most boring man in the world. My friend was quite pleased wth himself for that and felt he had achieved something in his career..

Puckoon

We had a couple great teachers at the Omagh CBS.

Marc clements - English

Paul donnelly- history teacher wasn't the worst either.

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 18, 2009, 07:03:21 PM
Quote from: stpauls on August 18, 2009, 04:43:12 PM

Nevermind Hughie for Irish, who the hell was your English teacher, Brother Nannery!!!!  Hughie was actually one of my favourite teachers but that may be because we had a very similar approach to things.  I heard a  story about Hughie but it may be urban legend.  He was coming to the end of his playing career and was full back for Mullaghbawn.  I had 3 uncles on the team and the youngest was probably the most talented.  They were playing against Big Sam's team, Madden I think, and he cleaved my uncle with a false one.  Hughie ran the lenght of the field and smacked Sam so hard he finished his career.  It also finished Hughie's as he never played again.

Anyway, I also had great time for the west Belfast Yank Dr A.D McDonnell and Muiris Mac Cabhaid, two big influences in my academic life!
Did Mac Cabhaid teach in Greenpark?
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Eastern_Pride

Anyone at all on this board who went to private school at all?

This could be interesting........SidelineKick no doubt.............
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?