Author Topic: The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread  (Read 49210 times)

AZOffaly

• View Profile
Re: The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread
« Reply #600 on: April 16, 2018, 04:21:49 PM »
Mick McCarthy will sort you out, a good Yorkshire man...

That's not a bad shout. Would he put up with the madness there though? And would a Barnsley man want Leeds to do well?

ziggy90

• Waiting for manna coming from the west.
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: April 16, 2018, 07:33:51 PM »
Just wondering are there any Leeds' followers out there with the urge to give an opinion, as yet another season that had some early optimism slowly runs to a dispiriting standstill?

I was on a site that allows different variables to be put in to come up with a league table of current form, and from Boxing Day to the present - a period in which we have two wins - we are currently rock bottom of the Championship Table with a total of 12 points, three below both Burton and Sunderland, and four from safety. The great football played under Christiansen back in the Autumn is but a distant memory and on the basis of last Friday night, the players look distinctly uninterested, with Heckingbottom's already brief tenure already looking under threat.

Changing the manager - in my humble opinion - is not the answer to the underlying issues of some bad recruitment and under investment, but it is usually Leeds go to choice when things are not going well. I actually thought that the danger of a return to Division One was a thing of the past, but now I'm not so sure - very depressing to be honest.

I'm too sick to say anything, Rufus.  Leeds are, by some way, the worst team at present in the Championship.  Some fall, after having been top in October.

They better be up for it on Saturday.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #602 on: April 16, 2018, 07:54:37 PM »
This article from 2013 gives a flavour of Leeds' recent history

http://www.footytube.com/v5-read-report.php?id=21024
Jaysus would you shtop

Mourne Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #603 on: April 16, 2018, 10:27:17 PM »
The posters who said Leeds should go for a period of stability and avoiding sacking another manager  are probably right, but the problem is that Heckingbottom's CV was dubious in the first place and results since his arrival have been pretty dreadful. He has had 13 games in charge, which is almost one third of a season, and has presided over two wins, four draws and seven defeats - ten points out a possible 39 and a success rate of 15 per cent is relegation form by any standard.

In his defence, he took on a squad which was struggling, has since been hit by a serious list of injuries and had introduced some young players who are showing a fair degree of promise. However, there is little evidence of a particular style of play evolving, he has chopped and changed tactics and the fans are distinctly unimpressed.

On balance, he should be given the opportunity to recruit properly over the summer, organise an effective pre-season programme and start the next campaign on his own terms. His run to date means that his position will have to be kept under review, and as ever results will decide his fate.

However, the more immediate risk he faces is the local derby against his old club, Barnsley, this Saturday at Elland Road. Leeds won the away fixture 2-0 when they were going well under Christiansen. Barnsley are a very limited side and looking likely to be relegated. If Leeds slip up against them, Heckingbottom may not survive much longer.