Author Topic: The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread  (Read 69258 times)

Rufus T Firefly

• Na Clairsigh, Ard Mhacha
    • View Profile
Re: The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread
« Reply #435 on: October 26, 2014, 12:56:24 AM »
Sorry I meant Paddy Kenny. Don't know where I got Kelly. I have a neighbour called Paddy Kelly, maybe that's it.

Does the Paddy you know play? Is he doing anything most Saturdays?

I don't think this is going to be the normal season of despair - this one could be spent flirting with relegation!!  :(

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #436 on: October 26, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »
Despair doesn't normally set in until after Xmas - it's here before Halloween this year.  Looked better than Rotherham last week and folded; looked better than Wolves this week and folded.  Pattern for definite despair.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #437 on: May 12, 2015, 08:21:29 AM »
When Leeds got relegated in May 1982, it would be eight long seasons outside the top flight before they returned in August 1990. Those eight years seemed like a lifetime. However, when Leeds take the field next season in the Championship, it will be the twelfth season outside the top flight and yet for me personally somehow it doesn't seem as long. I don't know if that's because I'm considerably older and time moves more quickly, or these twelve seasons have been more of a rollercoaster ride than 82 - 90 with a further relegation, promotion and a number of play-offs covering the intervening years. Either way though, there doesn't seem to be any basis for optimism that the twelve years will not become thirteen and fourteen and fifteen and.......

As usual last season there were the ups and downs to fill any supporter with both unreasonable optimism and absolute despair. Early season form (pre Hallowe'en) suggested that a promotion push was well within their grasp but a long and indifferent run of form from November to about February resurrected the relegation fears. Another good run in the Spring raised again the flicker of hope that we might sneak a play-off spot but that was crushed under foot by an abysmal end of season run that somehow found a fitting end with a dull and uninspired 0-0 draw at home to Rotherham.

There were an awful lot of sub plots within the season just gone - a number of Italian players were brought in - Silvestri and Antenucci were both positives and although he could be a liability with his disciplinary record, I liked Giuseppe Bellusci as he played with a bit of passion - a rare commodity. However the issue with the Italian contingent was clouded by the non appearance away to Charlton which was itself shrouded in controversy. Another Italian who went missing of course was the boss himself, Massimo Cellino, although he made a late season return after serving his ban. However he is now again the subject of an FA investigation around transfer activity.

What the future holds is unclear. Leeds appear to want to get our promising young players tied down to contracts and there are talks of a change in our kit provider (Macron to Kappa) which might prompt a visit to the courts. However the big question going forward will be ownership and what the intentions of the owners are regarding investment. As always with Leeds, the future is as clear as mud.

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #438 on: May 14, 2015, 12:04:07 PM »
I see the BBC are reporting that Rudy Austin is being let go along with Alex Cairns, Stuart Taylor, Zac Thompson, Michael Tonge and Aidy White. 

It is rumoured that there are players on that list that Redfearn wanted to keep, which if true would suggest further change in the manager's seat in the not too distant future. 

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #439 on: May 15, 2015, 11:12:37 AM »
Leeds are now the 'watch through your fingers' club - anything is likely to happen, or not, or maybe. 

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #440 on: May 15, 2015, 01:09:56 PM »
Leeds are now the 'watch through your fingers' club - anything is likely to happen, or not, or maybe.

Correct Billy - and yesterday's press conference by Massimo 'hold on, I need a fag' Cellino will only have added to that feeling.  :(

Mourne Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #441 on: May 15, 2015, 01:49:43 PM »
The frustrating aspect is that Redfearn is a capable coach with some hugely promising young players in his squad. A period of stability and an average amount of investment by championship standards could take the club very close to the play-offs next year. If yesterday's press conference is anything to go by, we will get a prolonged soap opera instead.

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #442 on: May 15, 2015, 02:01:03 PM »
The frustrating aspect is that Redfearn is a capable coach with some hugely promising young players in his squad. A period of stability and an average amount of investment by championship standards could take the club very close to the play-offs next year. If yesterday's press conference is anything to go by, we will get a prolonged soap opera instead.

You'd have to look at Bournemouth as the model for what can be achieved through relatively modest investment and more importantly stability. I'm not sure though that we can match what Bournemouth invested and Cellino doesn't do stability.

I see there is also talk of a change in the kit provider. Macron were due to finish a 6 year contract next season but the talk is that the Club are ditching it a year early and going with Kappa. Macron are threatening legal action.

Everything thus as it should be!!  ::)

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #443 on: May 20, 2015, 08:00:42 AM »
I see that various sources are reporting that Uwe Rosler is likely to be the next manager of the Club. Ordinarily this might seem a crazy situation given that there is a manager already in place, but Cellino's tirade against Redfearn in which he branded him a baby will have let on-one in any doubt that Redfearn's days are numbered. 

The rollercoaster ride goes on.  :(

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #445 on: October 19, 2015, 03:59:20 PM »
The less said the better. 

Mourne Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #446 on: October 30, 2015, 09:09:53 PM »
From the BBC tonight - 'Leeds chairman Massimo Cellino has agreed in principle to sell his share in the club to supporters' group Leeds Fans United.'

Another amazing twist in the Elland Road soap opera. The big question is where is the money to fund any sale going to come from ? If the new owners get this right, the club could at long last be heading back to the top. If the sums don't add up, the risks are also huge.

However, Cellino had reached the end of the line and at least there is now a fighting chance of a Leeds revival.

stew

• View Profile
« Reply #447 on: October 30, 2015, 09:38:33 PM »
From the BBC tonight - 'Leeds chairman Massimo Cellino has agreed in principle to sell his share in the club to supporters' group Leeds Fans United.'

Another amazing twist in the Elland Road soap opera. The big question is where is the money to fund any sale going to come from ? If the new owners get this right, the club could at long last be heading back to the top. If the sums don't add up, the risks are also huge.

However, Cellino had reached the end of the line and at least there is now a fighting chance of a Leeds revival.

What a mess, Leeds used to be a top class outfit and it is a shame they are going to the dogs.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

ONeill

• Shoving Connie Around The Room
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: October 30, 2015, 11:25:32 PM »
What is O'Leary's legacy amongst Leeds fans now?
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

T Fearon

• View Profile
« Reply #449 on: October 31, 2015, 07:16:44 AM »
Shit.Just the same as it is with Villa.O'Leary will go down in history as ruining two great clubs