Author Topic: The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread  (Read 98430 times)

seafoid

• View Profile
Re: The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread
« Reply #915 on: July 18, 2020, 01:30:58 PM »
Great to see Leeds overcome their heebie jeebies and make it back to the top division. Bielsa did a superb job.
Lookit

Denn Forever

• Any means neccessary
    • View Profile
    • Malcolm x
« Reply #916 on: July 18, 2020, 02:34:07 PM »
Time to believe. 
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Mourne Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #917 on: July 18, 2020, 06:11:15 PM »
Leeds have not exactly had a brilliant record when the pressure has really be on over recent years so to have firstly promotion and then the championship confirmed on consecutive days when we did not actually play was a wonderful experience. Derby will probably have to give us a guard of honour tomorrow as another little bonus.

The figures provided by The Bunker earlier may be slightly outdated as 13 seasons in the championship at 46 games each works out at 598, three in league one is 138 and we have had another ten play-off fixtures for a total of 746 matches since we were last in the premiership. It has been a journey and a half but Bielsa has taken us home.

trailer

• View Profile
« Reply #918 on: July 19, 2020, 08:18:57 AM »
Are all Leeds fans 50+?

shark

• View Profile
« Reply #919 on: July 19, 2020, 10:06:28 AM »
Are all Leeds fans 50+?

I was in school with a handful, who would be late 30ís now. But they all had older brothers who had indoctrinated them. Most Leeds fans in Ireland would be children of the late 60ís I guess. I used to work with a lot of guys of that vintage from inner city Dublin who were/are obsessive Leeds fans. There is a pub in the Liberties (Bakerís I think) that has a whole corner of the pub dedicated to Leeds.

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #920 on: July 19, 2020, 01:02:11 PM »
Are all Leeds fans 50+?

There would be a few in their 30's+ from a successful ears Wilkinson circa 1992 and the O'Leary years 1998-2002

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #921 on: July 19, 2020, 01:37:15 PM »
Leeds have been very volatile over the last 40 years compared to say Tottenham who didn't win the League but stayed in the top division. Leeds came out of the second division to win in 92. They went down again and spent a long time down.
Lookit

From the Bunker

• View Profile
« Reply #922 on: July 19, 2020, 02:41:07 PM »
One word for the madness of Leeds the last 2 decades - Ridsdale!

ziggy90

• Waiting for manna coming from the west.
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: July 19, 2020, 05:06:11 PM »
Congratulations to Leeds and their fans.
You'll be missed in the lower leagues.
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #924 on: July 19, 2020, 08:44:05 PM »
Lriverpool Uni academic Kieran Maguire estimates that Leeds' total budget over the 16 year exile from the PL was £458 million. This equatea to.less than a year's income for one of the big PL teams in 2018/19
Lookit

Rufus T Firefly

• Na Clairsigh, Ard Mhacha
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: July 20, 2020, 09:38:24 AM »
Thanks to the non Leeds contributors here for the congratulations and a group e-hug for the regular Leeds' supporters!! There have been half a dozen or so regulars here over the years and a few more besides willing us on.

What a weekend that was!! The Barnsley game reflected the worries I had that the team might bottle a wonderful opportunity, but looking back at that game now, and indeed more besides, I think it showed that this season we have had one valuable commodity that has been missing in other seasons - luck!

When we moved on to Friday and Huddersfield produced a win against the odds - getting a winner despite coming under severe pressure - and then Brentford getting chinned by Stoke on Saturday to win us the league. Up to Saturday, Brentford were playing like an irresistible force - was it pressure that undone them, as they suddenly had their own destiny in their own hands? 

We then moved to Pride Park yesterday, where I have to say the team looked totally hungover and without a worry in the world, went down one nil and then cantered to a 3-1 victory with a team showing seven changes.

Sixteen years, and many of those years were dark in the extreme. The light is now shining brightly and my nephew - a 15 year old Chelsea fanatic - will hopefully soon see why anyone would support Leeds.

Leeds are back! MOT.   8)

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #926 on: July 20, 2020, 09:41:00 AM »
Congrats to the Leeds men.  Long suffering.  Will be a great addition to the PL. 

seafoid

• View Profile
« Reply #927 on: July 20, 2020, 10:30:02 AM »
Daily Telegraph

"Marcelo Bielsa, whose humility and fierce work ethic have healed Leeds United. Typically, he spent the early part of the lockdown studying every goal scored from a set-piece in Europeís top five leagues this season and instructed his coaches to devise ways of exploiting their findings."
Lookit

Main Street

• View Profile
« Reply #928 on: July 20, 2020, 06:32:53 PM »
I am more pleased for Marcelo Bielsa who is one of a kind and who has suffered the slings and arrows.
Maybe the covid pause also benefited  Leeds more, avoiding the 'Bielsa burnout' phase in the last third of the season.

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #929 on: July 21, 2020, 02:03:24 AM »
The last 16 years were tough, I have been to more games in league 1 than premiership.
Relegation x 2
Administration
10-point deduction
15-point deduction
Brink of liquidation
League one  x 3 seasons
Lost playoff final x 2
Lost play off semi x 2
Defeat to Histon
14th, 13th, 15th, 15th, 13th
Owners x 5
Managers x 19

And the only reason ever that crowds ever went down was to oust corrupt owners taking money out of the club. So drink every moment of the this last few days in Lads. We are Leeds United and we are back.

Premiership starts on Sept 12/13th happy f**king days MOT
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"