Author Topic: The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread  (Read 70253 times)

lurganblue

• View Profile
Re: The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread
« Reply #780 on: July 13, 2019, 01:10:41 PM »
Looks like he's staying and villa have moved on to some lad Douglas Luiz instead. Fair play to Phillips. Sticks with his boyhood club for another push at promotion. Exactly the same as Grealish last year.

Rufus T Firefly

• Na Clairsigh, Ard Mhacha
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 29, 2019, 12:19:18 AM »
Things quite quiet around here. The big kick-off is only days away now and I'd be worried about the relative lack of transfer activity - in particular problems at each end of the pitch (centre-forward and goalkeeper) have not been addressed and potentially a new issue at centre-half has arisen with the selling of Jansson, with the hope now that Ben White will be able to fill the void - however that still leaves a relaince on Berardi and Cooper.

Costa looks to be a big addition and retaining Clarke for another season seems like good business but I'd love to see a few more additions, or otherwise we are going to be relying on Bielsa to work his magic again with very limited resoources. 

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 30, 2019, 09:23:26 AM »
To answer my own question, I note we are being linked with a move for Italian centre-forward Andrea Petagna from Serie A side SPAL. Leeds have reportedly offered 13.8 million but are being told he will cost closer to 23 million, which I'd guess is likely to put him outside our shopping range. At least it suggests that we are still active in the transfer market and that the need for goals is a concern.

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #783 on: July 31, 2019, 11:09:39 PM »
Bailey Peacock-Farrell away to Burnley for 3.5 million. Cannot see his prospects of first team football being better there than at Leeds. A replacement is expected before the transfer window closes.

Mourne Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #784 on: August 04, 2019, 09:29:09 PM »
A very encouraging start today from Leeds, who took a while to settle and then gave a footballling lesson to a home side which was regarded as an outside bet for promotion. Casilla had his scarey moments as usual but White looks a quality signing alongside Cooper, and Phillips, who surely must be kept if we are really to progress, was excellent. Hernandez was outstanding and Bielsa must make sure that, unlike last season, he gets regular rests. Bamford got the goal he needed and Costa is an exciting prospect. If a new striker, a back up keeper and possibly another defender arrive before the transfer deadline, we should give this division a good rattle.

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #785 on: August 05, 2019, 08:54:32 AM »
Thoroughly enjoyable match and performance yesterday and for me immediately rekindled memories of much of our play last year. However, underlining that was evidence of much of the issues that fatally undermined our promotion bid last year, i.e. dominating the opposition and not making that dominance be accurately reflected in terms of the score-line. That match could and should have been won 5-0 yesterday but we wasted a lorry load of chances, then got careless and ended up having a few uncomfortable moments late on. I think we managed 4 shots on target from 18 during the game. Such stats will be our undoing again.

That said, there was constant reference throughout the coverage yesterday to Leeds getting a striker and a goalkeeper in before the end of the transfer deadline and I still feel we need a centre half, despite the excellence of White on debut. Bamford was also excellent. Lovely, sharp finish but also held the ball up well, laid it off and put himself about a lot. However I can't see him getting the goals we need.

Mention also of Kiko who really makes me feel nervous. As Paul Robinson said yesterday, we need another goalkeeper who is on a par with Kiko and can step up to first team football and be comfortable in that role.

Pablo and Philips also excellent and I thought Harrison's performance suggested that he will be a better player for us this year than last year.

Great to be back playing and great to get a win.