Author Topic: The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread  (Read 73424 times)

Rufus T Firefly

• Na Clairsigh, Ard Mhacha
    • View Profile
Re: The Super(ish) Leeds United Thread
« Reply #765 on: May 29, 2019, 07:51:09 AM »
As I said in my last post I don't trust the player mentality to get us up.

Great the that Bielsa has been retained.

Cooper is a good guy but always buckles under pressure, for me he was more at fault for the first goal and he gave away the penalty. Berardi is alway a liability in getting sent off. And Bamford is a complete waste of space, he gets banned for 2 games for diving and in the 1st half he was falling all over the place. It was embarrasing.  Pablos legs had gone by the play offs, he wasnt himself which was a pity but its a long season for him.

Fair play to Dallas showing up when it mattered most and even Harrison turns up in the big games, both can be terrible against weaker teams.

Leeds need another striker badly, roofe and bamford are injury prone too but roofe is far more ruthless. We create a huge amount of chances and terrible conversion rate. I would sell bamford and buy 2 strikers, maybe loans, Gayle from Newcastle linked.

I wouldnt be against selling Clarke if offered 20m. I know he has a great future but he hasnt played well since the collapse from virus which tells me its still lingering. Hopefully he will be fully healthy soon.

The way Derby celebrated the semi final I was glad they lost yday.

I was devastated but im immune to pain where Leeds are concerned in many ways. They remind me of Sligo from the mental perspective and collapse.

Good post and the two parts I have highlighted in bold are absolutely on the money for me. The common thinking for that goal was that it was Kiko's fault. It wasn't - although he didn't particularly help the situation. Liam Cooper had an unhindered attempt to play the ball and succeeded only in setting up an open goal for the striker.

Our conversion rate is nothing short of shocking. Even an average return of goals compared to shots would surely have seen us promoted automatically.

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #766 on: May 29, 2019, 04:37:02 PM »
Brilliant news that Bielsa is staying - I seriously doubted he would. 

Cooper is very error prone, and has been for some time - a bit like Richard Dunne early in his career.  Not sure if Cooper can grow with experience in the way that Dunny did.  In fact, I'd be inclined to think that he has reached his peak and is on the way down, form-wise. 

I agree that Bamford is not the answer to the goalscoring issues.  Roofe is a decent player, if he can stay fit.  Gayle would be a good buy, but I think they need another scoring option also. 

"Devastated, but immune to pain" - would have to agree with that, it should be the club motto. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #767 on: May 29, 2019, 06:16:00 PM »
I seen a stat we score from 1 of 12 chances created. Most teams score from 1 in 3. Think Gayle is out of reach financially, think we will look at loan market. Roofe only has a year left on his Contract and i paid alot less than bamford so that could be tricky deal to get done.

Have to keep Phillips, he was outstanding and Roberts was huge loss in the last few games. Both had great seasons and are young. Left back position I am not so sure on Douglas, Alioski looked better in there and Dallas did well when it mattered.

Theres a great podcast done by the Square ball lads, they just did a season review with Phil Hay.

https://www.thesquareball.net/podcasts/

Scroll down the page to the bottom

Did any of ye see that Ross McCormack who spent the season on loan in OZ had a clause in his contract if Villa get promoted within 3 years his wages go up to 70k sterling a week. :o
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Insane Bolt

• View Profile
« Reply #768 on: May 29, 2019, 07:36:55 PM »
I told my good friend in January that you should have signed Peter Crouch.....you would be back in the big time now 😎

Ambrose

• View Profile
« Reply #769 on: May 30, 2019, 01:50:52 PM »
Leeds United are in talks with a billionaire Sheikh from the Middle East. They are discussing a multi million pound takeover deal to get the club back to the premier league.

Sheikh Anvack has promised to put the freshness back!!
You can't live off history and tradition forever

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #770 on: July 01, 2019, 10:29:24 PM »
Kalvin Phillips lads, how would you rate him? Not that I buy into most transfer rumours but this one just doesn't seem to be going away.

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #771 on: July 02, 2019, 09:26:28 AM »
Kalvin Phillips lads, how would you rate him? Not that I buy into most transfer rumours but this one just doesn't seem to be going away.

I like him - good passing range, technically adept, good attitude, did well as the link man in the 4-1-4-1 Bielsa format which looked to suit him better than the 4-2-3-1s he would have played in before. 

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #772 on: July 02, 2019, 10:27:46 AM »
Agree with Billy - very important player and not one we would like to let go. The money received (heard 14 million mentioned) would not likely be enough to find a replacement of his calibre.

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #773 on: July 02, 2019, 11:18:48 AM »
The fee seems to be closer to 22m now plus add-ons. When i first heard this rumour I didnt think much of it. It is certainly an area that villa will be looking to strengthen and he does appear to fit the Dean Smith mould (young, energetic, comfortable on the ball). As i say i dont know much about the lad at all.  The 22-25m does draw attention though.

Clarke loaned back i see. That was nice of Spurs.

Billys Boots

• View Profile
« Reply #774 on: July 02, 2019, 02:37:02 PM »
If Leeds sell him, then they can forget about promotion.   ::)

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #775 on: July 08, 2019, 10:14:12 PM »
Shocked by the Jansson sale.

Rufus T Firefly

• View Profile
« Reply #776 on: July 08, 2019, 10:31:36 PM »
Shocked by the Jansson sale.

There's been a lot of talk about him being a disruptive influence in the Club and it seems Bielsa wanted rid. In such circumstances, there is only one winner.

Brentford have got themselves a bargain (5.5 million). He is by far the most dependable of the three centre backs at the Club. With Halme also getting sold, the hope would be that we'll be in the market for a new centre half. Adequately replacing Jansson will be a challenge though, given the current financial constraints.

Mourne Rover

• View Profile
« Reply #777 on: July 08, 2019, 10:58:31 PM »
Jannson is probably the best centre half in the championship but he has always been headstrong and the signs were bad when he disobeyed clear instructions from Bielsa to allow Villa an unchallenged equaliser. When he sat on the pitch and ignored his teammates after he was an unused sub in the Derby disaster, in retrospect it looked like the last straw. Leeds could really do with bringing in another centre back and striker swiftly,  but Bielsa inevitably does things his own way.

SLIGONIAN

• View Profile
« Reply #778 on: July 10, 2019, 09:03:07 PM »
I don't know lads, I am starting to doubt Bielsa and the club owners not that I ever had much trust, selling Jansson is a disgrace, I know he is headstrong but hes put his body on the line for us, and was mentally strong and made our defensive look better than it actually is, 5.5m is terrible business. Cooper crumbles under pressure and will again when the going gets tough. I don't really know Ben White from Brighton. Have to buy another CB.

Selling Kalvin Phillips will cause a major reaction from the fanbase. I rate him very highly, hes a great reader of where the danger is and more often than not snuffs it out.

There is rumours around Roofe aswell. I dont rate Bamford at all, dives too easy, doesnt hold the ball up at all, misses alot of chances, we had to create 12 chances for 1 goal last season compared to our rivals of 1 in 4.

We are in big trouble if any of this materializes.

Bielsa has habit of been stubborn, its a weakness, it could cost us and he also underplays what he needs. Regardless of phillips or roofe we need another CB and Striker.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

lurganblue

• View Profile
« Reply #779 on: July 11, 2019, 09:42:20 AM »
If Leeds sold Phillips for say 25m, would the club then allow Bielsa to invest that money in a few players that he has his eye on? Will the Jansson 5.5m be reinvested or will it be gobbled up by the owners such as happens at a load of other clubs?