Wedding presents

Started by tyrone girl, August 17, 2009, 09:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cavan4ever

Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 19, 2009, 11:54:34 AM
ahhh f*ck away aff, sure half the ones at the wedding dont really wanna be there, you dont really want the half of them there either and the whole thing is just a sham, materialistic loada shite!!..its only about money money money..ye wanna have a lavish affair and invite half the country thats your business but dont be expecting everyone else to be as excited or dying to fork out for it. To think of it as a money making exercise is just wrong wrong wrong.
some boyos on here could do with a reality check if ye ask me.

I dont understand why someone would go to a wedding they dont want to go to, or people invite people they dont want, unless they are relations that they cant avoid asking.

Its prob these people that dont want to go to weddings that do all the whinging.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: cavan4ever on August 19, 2009, 12:00:52 PM
Quote from: Brick Tamlin on August 19, 2009, 11:54:34 AM
ahhh f*ck away aff, sure half the ones at the wedding dont really wanna be there, you dont really want the half of them there either and the whole thing is just a sham, materialistic loada shite!!..its only about money money money..ye wanna have a lavish affair and invite half the country thats your business but dont be expecting everyone else to be as excited or dying to fork out for it. To think of it as a money making exercise is just wrong wrong wrong.
some boyos on here could do with a reality check if ye ask me.

I dont understand why someone would go to a wedding they dont want to go to, or people invite people they dont want, unless they are relations that they cant avoid asking.

Its prob these people that dont want to go to weddings that do all the whinging.
Get your head out of the sand man! Weddings are full of people who dont want to be there and who arent wanted. They're generally invited because the bride's mother and father was at their sons wedding or some shite.  Most people feel they have to go to a wedding their invited too. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

sammymaguire

we all have our own opinions and cut our cloth accordingly. £50 per person  :-\ sure why bother give anything at all? go to Argos and but an £8 toaster  :D and spend the rest of your £92 on you and your missus looking great on the day and getting pissed!! look there is a Cavan man here going on saying that £50 per person is a touch too little  :P

this thread is sooo Irish  ::)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

tyrone girl

So ur saying £50 per person ie £100 per couple is laughable and ridiculous. I think u need to get ur head out of ur ass cos that comment is the laughable part!!!!

SidelineKick

Quote from: sammymaguire on August 19, 2009, 11:42:03 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2009, 11:26:53 AM
Quote from: cavan4ever on August 19, 2009, 11:25:05 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2009, 11:23:16 AM
Quote from: sammymaguire on August 19, 2009, 11:21:06 AM
people know about weddings months in advance, weeks at the very least, if things are tight, then stick £10/£20 away each week for it and when it eventually arrives then you should have enough to cover it. If there are too many weddings in a short space of time, then just go to the ones most important to you...  ::)
Why the f**k should you be sticking away 10 or 20 quid for weeks because someone else wants a top of the range wedding?

God help anyone that would invite you to a wedding.
Why's that?

because you are coming across as a mean b*stard thats why. You, as a guest of the happy couple are not the one handing over a cheque to a hotel/photographer/band/travel agent/musicians/florists... etc for £/€??k look, my opinion is £/€150 per couple is bare minimum to cover yourself on the day, others believe something else, its just my opinion (I am speaking from experience). Its simple good manners not to go along for the freebie day out by giving any less and like it or lump it, the couple will notice who gives what, high and low  :-[

I DON'T expect to pay for the lavish affair, I sometimes don't know what to expect, some couples stick to the bare minimum required, others get carried away so £75 per head is a fair amount to me all taken into consideration. I did not think this was so controversial

as for buying shirts, shoes, dresses, make up, hair, hens/stags, these should be seen as part of the craic, if you spend the money begrudgingly then you really should not be going, it spoils the fun for everyone else

Sammy you are coming across as being very arrogant here.  Thats all well and good saying that if you're wallet is busting with £20 notes, but lets say you have 2 weddings in one year, you're talking a grand a pop. If £2000 is nothing to you (in one year, with nothing to show for it) then fair play to you.  But perhaps sammy you could raise your gold crown above your eyes so you can see us peasants  ;)
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Brick Tamlin

so is giving nothing at all the same as giving £50, am i missing something here.
its all about what the done thing is, keeping up with the joneses and all that shite.
ye give what ye feel is appropriate and whatever your comfortable with, end of.

one question, how is it sooooo irish, and whats wrong with being irish.

if ye were on the dole, strugglin to pay a mortgage and had a plethora of other worries i tell ye that fedelma & paudi's wedding present would be the east of yer feckin worries...they can either like it or lump it whatever gift ye give them.

cavan4ever

You lot have the same attuitde as the English.

Stick £20 in a card.

Doogie Browser

In fairness to Sammy he has loads of disposable income, just look at how much he fritters away to the bookies.

Treasurer

Quote from: sammymaguire on August 19, 2009, 12:06:22 PM
we all have our own opinions and cut our cloth accordingly. £50 per person  :-\ sure why bother give anything at all? go to Argos and but an £8 toaster  :D and spend the rest of your £92 on you and your missus looking great on the day and getting pissed!! look there is a Cavan man here going on saying that £50 per person is a touch too little  :P

What an arrogant thing to say.  Fine if you're pretty flush then 50 is on the tight side.  But believe it or not 50 quid is still a considerable sum to quite a number of people.  People live on things like widow's pensions and so on you know.

tyrone girl

How do we have the same attitude as the english????????

Just because we feel £100 per couple isnt miserable. Catch yourself on

pintsofguinness

If it was up to me I wouldnt be at the wedding at all as we could easily go on a weeks holiday on what you have to generally spend on them.  As I said, I think 100 stg is more than enough especially when you factor in what it costs to go.  If it was my wedding I'd just be delighted and grateful that people made the effort (as it does cost a lot to go) and where there and I'd be over the moon with 100 quid in a card but horrified if I thought someone felt there was a minimum they had to give or horrified to receive a 100 quid from someone I know can't afford it. 
But that's just me.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

bingobus

Just remembered a story about a lad that got married in Blayney in the year after the Euro game in. He was heard complaining that he was getting €100 in the cards rather than £100 punt and was losing out on it  ;D  ;D

It should also be noted that the ejit booked his wedding on 1st April cause it was cheaper as no one else wanted that date.  ;D

Brick Tamlin

im with pints on this one (probably the 2st time iv agreed with an applemuncher).
Some shocking views on here, and i think it speaks volumes for some peoples attitude toward money.
Dose of reality needed.

Rois

Quote from: cavan4ever on August 19, 2009, 12:00:52 PM

for the same reason that the couple getting married feel the need to have their wedding in a fancy hotel, have four bridesmaids and groomsmen, spend money on wedding albums and flowers etc etc.

I have an idea - why don't the bride and groom sell tickets and do away with presents altogether, if it's all about how much a guest contributes to the cost of the day and nothing about what it means to the guests to wish them well with a gift.

If some of the opinions on here are typically "irish", then it makes me quite sad.

Billys Boots

Quote from: Treasurer on August 19, 2009, 12:14:44 PM

What an arrogant thing to say.  Fine if you're pretty flush then 50 is on the tight side.  But believe it or not 50 quid is still a considerable sum to quite a number of people.  People live on things like widow's pensions and so on you know.

Treas, there's a generation there now that need the shock of their lives - and it looks like it's well on the way.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...