Wedding presents

Started by tyrone girl, August 17, 2009, 09:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sammymaguire

people know about weddings months in advance, weeks at the very least, if things are tight, then stick £10/£20 away each week for it and when it eventually arrives then you should have enough to cover it. If there are too many weddings in a short space of time, then just go to the ones most important to you...  ::)
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: sammymaguire on August 19, 2009, 11:21:06 AM
people know about weddings months in advance, weeks at the very least, if things are tight, then stick £10/£20 away each week for it and when it eventually arrives then you should have enough to cover it. If there are too many weddings in a short space of time, then just go to the ones most important to you...  ::)
Why the f**k should you be sticking away 10 or 20 quid for weeks because someone else wants a top of the range wedding?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

cavan4ever

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2009, 11:23:16 AM
Why the f**k should you be sticking away 10 or 20 quid for weeks because someone else wants a top of the range wedding?

God help anyone that would invite you to a wedding.

SidelineKick

Why should you? You are already making the effort of (probably) getting a day off work, buying a new suit and / or shirt and tie, maybe new shoes, the woman spending on a new outfit, possibly having to book into a hotel if its far enough away, then giving a cash present as well, not to mention the stag / hen do you probably have been on.  Tell me why anyone should feel guilty at not giving "£150 as the minimum"? I think enough of an effort has already been made simply going to the wedding. £100 is more than enough. I stand by that.

As for picking and choosing the weddings you go to, silly comment, you're bound to know its not as black and white as that.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: cavan4ever on August 19, 2009, 11:25:05 AM

Why's that?

tyrone girl

I think the comment that £100 is miserable as heck for wedding present is just ridiculous. I think £100 is an ample present, always did until i was informed of otherwise this week. As stated before im far from miserable but gona cost me the guts of £500 for this wedding and spent in round £400 on the hen party! All well and good if its one wedding once in 2 years or whatever but pissing me off when i have 3 or 4 in close proximity!!!

Im giving £120 but thats more cos i just go with the flow and wat everyone else is doing but personally my own feelings are that £100 is more than enough  :-\

cavan4ever

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2009, 11:26:53 AM

Why's that?

You seem like a miserable person.

ludermor

I always thought that when (if) i get married i would like my mates around me, i wouldnt be doing a bank check on each one and i sure a f**k wouldnt expect them to to fork out 100's for the prividledge of going to MY wedding. If someone have lost th erun of themselves and paid 1000's for flowers/band/honeymoon then that is there own choice they should not be expecting their guests to stump the bill.
As for this shite of paying for the food and the drink and enterainment,  the fact is you are generally getting substandard food, no choice ( except whether or not to eat it) , you have to listen to a shite wedding band and/or a shite DJ.
The day should be about you, your partner and your friends and family, not about balancing the books at the ends of the night

pintsofguinness

Quote from: cavan4ever on August 19, 2009, 11:31:36 AM

Why's that?

Becuase I dont think you should pay for someone else's wedding? and weddings is all about what you get from your guests?

Id give 100 stg as a wedding present, I dont think there's anything miserable about that.

Good post ludermor

bingobus

I don't think Sammy is supporting everyone else paying for a persons over the top wedding. He is merely saying that foir 150 you are getting value for money and if you compare it to an evening out with a meal and a dance you'd end up paying roughly the same. Plus the fact that normally it is a really good day with friends and family.

I'd agree with him to a certain extent, I normally throw 150 into the card. Not because I feel that I'm paying for the day for the couple or hoping that they'll have white doves flying up the aisle with the rings but because it is a gift to them from us. Some weddings I've been at the bride/groom have put on really lavish affairs, not because they want bigger gifts but they want people to enjoy the day and give them something in return for thei gifts. This has included the basic champagne/hot whiskey/mulled wine receptions to music before and during the meal to free bars.

If the couple want to go down that line more power to them but I'll not be spending them on another cheque to make up the difference. I've rarely not enjoyed a wedding from big 500 affairs to small ones with only 40 people.

I don;t like this anti-wedding buzz. Some people seem to not want to give any gift and are pissed off getting invits. Very easy solution, stay away.

cavan4ever

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 19, 2009, 11:34:57 AM
Quote from: cavan4ever on August 19, 2009, 11:31:36 AM

Why's that?

Becuase I dont think you should pay for someone else's wedding? and weddings is all about what you get from your guests?

Id give 100 stg as a wedding present, I dont think there's anything miserable about that.

Good post ludermor

Nothing wrong with 100 stg. 

sammymaguire

Why's that?

because you are coming across as a mean b*stard thats why. You, as a guest of the happy couple are not the one handing over a cheque to a hotel/photographer/band/travel agent/musicians/florists... etc for £/€??k look, my opinion is £/€150 per couple is bare minimum to cover yourself on the day, others believe something else, its just my opinion (I am speaking from experience). Its simple good manners not to go along for the freebie day out by giving any less and like it or lump it, the couple will notice who gives what, high and low  :-[

I DON'T expect to pay for the lavish affair, I sometimes don't know what to expect, some couples stick to the bare minimum required, others get carried away so £75 per head is a fair amount to me all taken into consideration. I did not think this was so controversial

as for buying shirts, shoes, dresses, make up, hair, hens/stags, these should be seen as part of the craic, if you spend the money begrudgingly then you really should not be going, it spoils the fun for everyone else
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: sammymaguire on August 19, 2009, 11:42:03 AM

Why's that?

because you are coming across as a mean b*stard thats why. You, as a guest of the happy couple are not the one handing over a cheque to a hotel/photographer/band/travel agent/musicians/florists... etc for £/€??k look, my opinion is £/€150 per couple is bare minimum to cover yourself on the day, others believe something else, its just my opinion (I am speaking from experience). Its simple good manners not to go along for the freebie day out by giving any less and like it or lump it, the couple will notice who gives what, high and low  :-[

I DON'T expect to pay for the lavish affair, I sometimes don't know what to expect, some couples stick to the bare minimum required, others get carried away so £75 per head is a fair amount to me all taken into consideration. I did not think this was so controversial

as for buying shirts, shoes, dresses, make up, hair, hens/stags, these should be seen as part of the craic, if you spend the money begrudgingly then you really should not be going, it spoils the fun for everyone else
:o
I'm a mean bastard because I dont want to pay for someone else's wedding and would only give 100 stg (thats for 2 of us)? Close friends or family would get more, but I think it's more than enough when you consider the other expenses. 

If couples want to go done that road....lets see...
one of the last weddings me and herself were at was on a monday - two days off work for both of us
I bought a shirt and tie
Herself had to get an outfit, the hair done, shoes etc
Present was £150 stg (it was a close friend)
Then there was the drinks at the wedding, the stag/hen parties.

We got a meal and some music (poor music)

Considering everything I think they owe us money. 

Brick Tamlin

ahhh f*ck away aff, sure half the ones at the wedding dont really wanna be there, you dont really want the half of them there either and the whole thing is just a sham, materialistic loada shite!!..its only about money money money..ye wanna have a lavish affair and invite half the country thats your business but dont be expecting everyone else to be as excited or dying to fork out for it. To think of it as a money making exercise is just wrong wrong wrong.
some boyos on here could do with a reality check if ye ask me.

Treasurer

I'm with Pints on this one.  £100stg is far from miserable.  If you can afford 500stg, well that's great, off with you.  If you can only afford 20 quid, will that's fine too.  Again, the point is the bride and groom are supposed to be honoured by YOUR attendance, not the other way around.

As I said before, what should matter is how close you are to the couple and what you can afford.  It's not about "getting value" for your gift compared to what a night out would cost etc.