Wedding presents

Started by tyrone girl, August 17, 2009, 09:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Baloney

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 18, 2009, 10:46:15 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 18, 2009, 10:36:31 AM
Gerry,

800 Euro and we get every photo (he was there from 9am to 1am the next morning) no album though, we are just going to do our own but those wedding albums are a complete and utter rip-off.

He will not hand over any of the photos. I have no documentation either or I would sue the f**ker. Its one of those subjects that we hate to discuss as it heads towards a row very quickly. At some point in a calmer moment I will ring him offer him something for the photos and do an album myself.

Gerry, the sister-in-law ended up in a similar predicament. They got a fella on the cheap who was just starting out in the area - he had been a photographer elsewhere and had seen his portfolio before commiting. However he was bloody useless and his photos were no better than you could take yourself. I knew on the wedding day he was useless as he never took control of things.

Anyway they told him they weren't paying for the photos and were going to set a solicitor on him - when he heard this he gave them the photos for nothing and they picked the best out and got some photoshop work done to make them presentable.

RMDrive

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 18, 2009, 01:16:26 PM
Quote from: RMDrive on August 18, 2009, 01:12:18 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 18, 2009, 12:54:24 PM
Quote from: Rois on August 18, 2009, 10:44:41 AM
The bin is stronger (other one cracked), doesn't smell and the push-up lid hasn't broken after a good few months.
The lady is right. They're a great bin - we've had ours about 3 years now. Holds loads, doesn't smell and looks good. Their bin-liners are slightly more expensive but worth it as they're much stronger than cheapo liners which is important in a ~60 litre bin.

Other bins are "only cheap on the day" as the mother-in-law would say!

The lid broke on our one after a few weeks so it's now in the corner of the garage being used to hold the rubbish there. In fairness they are supposed to be a good bin but the cheapo one has worked fine for the last 2 years and even when it does break (the pedal is starting to be a bit dodgy) I'll buy another one and still not have spent as much as the brabantia.
You should give less in your wedding present and spend the savings on a decent bin  ;D

LOL Very true. My next gift to a B&G will be a picture of my new Brabantia bin!

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 18, 2009, 10:30:05 AM
[
Even the price of a photographer would break your heart, average 1500 to 2000 euro, ours was a lot less but you have to negotiate on everything,]

I let the wife book our photographer and she came back and said its €1100, i said f**k thats expensive but we had saved and it was in the Budget. I didnt realise that that was just for him to come and take the pictures he wants another €2000 for the album, i told him to f**k off. Still havent got any wedding photos developed 16 months later. Its the only thing about the day that pisses me off, I paid some **** €1100 just to shout smile and say cheese at me for the day.

Feck off with your 1500-2000 for a photographer.
We are getting this lad here for €800 and then a further €400 for the album,you are being ripped off with €2000 for a album
www.visionary.ie
You'll Never Walk Alone.

pintsofguinness

My bin is nice, holds plenty, lid is working on it, hasnt broke, doesnt smell and it cost about a tenner.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Subbie

getting away from bins and back to presents ;) few years ago 2 mates were getting married and after a few beers meself and 5 others decided that for thier present we would do up the garden of thier recently purchased house whilst they were on a 6 week honeymoon.

The garden was in a state but after 4 weekends of middling tough labour, a loch a loads of muck away, mixer going flat out for a weekend and a chop saw going flat out for another they had the garden of thier dreams and we( the 6 lads & the wimmen) got away with €110 each towards the pressie, a wee bit of labour for the fellas and lots of cooking for the hard working men by the weemin ;D ;D

The evening they came home we hid up the back of the garden and thier reaction was worth the time and money

To make matters evenn better the bride was heard saying at the wedding that she was going to enjoy the honeymoon but when she got back the groom was gonna get serious grief re the garden, so three birds with one stone, present sorted, for handy money and a fellow man virtually grief free for a short while anyway ;D

Tony Baloney

Quote from: The Subbie on August 18, 2009, 06:32:24 PM
getting away from bins and back to presents ;) few years ago 2 mates were getting married and after a few beers meself and 5 others decided that for thier present we would do up the garden of thier recently purchased house whilst they were on a 6 week honeymoon.

The garden was in a state but after 4 weekends of middling tough labour, a loch a loads of muck away, mixer going flat out for a weekend and a chop saw going flat out for another they had the garden of thier dreams and we( the 6 lads & the wimmen) got away with €110 each towards the pressie, a wee bit of labour for the fellas and lots of cooking for the hard working men by the weemin ;D ;D

The evening they came home we hid up the back of the garden and thier reaction was worth the time and money

To make matters evenn better the bride was heard saying at the wedding that she was going to enjoy the honeymoon but when she got back the groom was gonna get serious grief re the garden, so three birds with one stone, present sorted, for handy money and a fellow man virtually grief free for a short while anyway ;D
That's a brilliant present. I've a half acre here that looks like the Somme if you ever find yourself free when I'm away!

vav

ok not a wedding present as such.. but how much would ye give yer parents for their 39th Wedding Anniversary.. don't wanna be too scabby but am broke!!  :-\

comethekingdom

Going to a wedding on my own (missus CTK can't go - she's working.) What would be a reasonable present ? €150?

Puckoon

Emmigrating is a great way to avoid the wedding rat race.

We'd 170 at my Irish wedding, and that was only my side of the deal.

Next time around will be a quieter affair!

Niall Quinn

anyone rate the band the Wedding Present?
Brassneck.
Back to the howling old owl in the woods, hunting the horny back toad

The Subbie

Quote from: Tony Baloney on August 18, 2009, 09:33:04 PM
Quote from: The Subbie on August 18, 2009, 06:32:24 PM

That's a brilliant present. I've a half acre here that looks like the Somme if you ever find yourself free when I'm away!

Well give me and 11 other " expert gardeners" an invite to your wedding and we'll see what we can do !!!!!!!!!!!

Bogball XV

Quote from: comethekingdom on August 18, 2009, 10:13:15 PM
Going to a wedding on my own (missus CTK can't go - she's working.) What would be a reasonable present ? €150?
you could get away with €100, depends how well you know them etc.

sammymaguire

how many of you have been married in the last 3/4 years?? £100 for a wedding present  :o  is miserable as heck. £50 per head does not cover a decent feed, wine, entertainment, etc. Its 2009, recession and all, £100 gets you f~*k all in this day and age. £150 should be bare minimum for any self-respecting couple, anything less is pants. I realise you need to make extra effort, buy shirt + tie, new dress/shoes/make-up etc but life is such and most weddings are a great days craic. I know you will end up spending more at the bar (or running up to the room/boot of the car to fill up) but the money going in to organising and having the day itself (never mind reception) is plentiful for the couple concerned.

If you go out on a Saturday night with £100 in your pocket, you won't get a 4/5 course meal, a few drinks at reception, a lump of cake, a band and disco, some cocktail sausages and some lovely bridesmaids to look at!!

you'll not get much change out of 5/6 rounds in the local with a few lads/lasses... or if you bring your missus out for a nice meal and a few drinks thats the £100/€115 gone in 3 hours a good wedding is all day - reality check folks 
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

pintsofguinness

Quote from: sammymaguire on August 19, 2009, 10:55:12 AM
how many of you have been married in the last 3/4 years?? £100 for a wedding present  :o  is miserable as heck. £50 per head does not cover a decent feed, wine, entertainment, etc. Its 2009, recession and all, £100 gets you f~*k all in this day and age. £150 should be bare minimum for any self-respecting couple, anything less is pants. I realise you need to make extra effort, buy shirt + tie, new dress/shoes/make-up etc but life is such and most weddings are a great days craic. I know you will end up spending more at the bar (or running up to the room/boot of the car to fill up) but the money going in to organising and having the day itself (never mind reception) is plentiful for the couple concerned.

If you go out on a Saturday night with £100 in your pocket, you won't get a 4/5 course meal, a few drinks at reception, a lump of cake, a band and disco, some cocktail sausages and some lovely bridesmaids to look at!!

you'll not get much change out of 5/6 rounds in the local with a few lads/lasses... or if you bring your missus out for a nice meal and a few drinks thats the £100/€115 gone in 3 hours a good wedding is all day - reality check folks
Again, you're invited to the wedding, everything is chosen for you. Why are you paying for someone else's choice? What next? Bills in the invitations?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

SidelineKick

Quote from: sammymaguire on August 19, 2009, 10:55:12 AM

That's a load of balls sammy.  I fully agree with Pints on this issue.
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.