Wedding presents

Started by tyrone girl, August 17, 2009, 09:53:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Congratulations, Dinny.

We didn't get flowers for the church (saved about 1500 euro)
Jesus!

The overall cost was just over 25K
:o :o :o

Estimator

Every wedding list i've seen seems to include a brabantia bin - priced between £60 - £80, what the fcuk is that about?
Ulster League Champions 2009

Hardy

Quote from: Estimator on August 18, 2009, 09:46:51 AM
Every wedding list i've seen seems to include a brabantia bin ... what the fcuk is that about?

Billys Boots

Quote from: Hardy on August 18, 2009, 09:45:40 AM
Congratulations, Dinny.

We didn't get flowers for the church (saved about 1500 euro)
Jesus!

The overall cost was just over 25K
:o :o :o

Congrats Dinny.

I got married in 1995; we hadn't a bean.  We got married in the Registry Office, we had a dinner for immediate family and close friends in a Greek restaurant (20 covers), and threw a big party for 200 in the Teachers' Club on Parnell Square that night.  Total cost was IR£700, of which IR£150 was for planning notices in the Evening Herald (which was obligatory for Registry Office weddings at the time).  I really enjoyed the day. 
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

bingobus

Quote from: Trevor Hill on August 18, 2009, 12:55:45 AM
I normally give cash if I think that is the best option, we`ll be buying a present this time round. I was at a wedding a few years ago and the bride was overheard complaining about some of the donations. Her idea was to invite as many as possible so they would get a bigger return. I think her idea backfired.

Thats the old classic. Knew a lad who invited over 500 a few years back, it was like a cattle mart and at end of night, you where still meeting people you hadn't seen all day. It was a pure money making venture and his old fella was boasting before the wedding about how many publicans they had coming!!

Well done Dinny. Your day seemed perfect and was sometime similar to our own day. It helps when parents let you have a free hand at it and aren't imposing people on you. Band very important and ours really helped made the day.

Also say, it was probably the dryest day I ever had considering the amount of drink flying round. I was getting handed bottles of bud all day and was taking a couple of swigs and leaving them at tables. Worked out great, plenty of mixing and dancing.

RMDrive

Every wedding list i've seen seems to include a brabantia bin - priced between £60 - £80, what the fcuk is that about?

It's an expensive bin that will break on you about 2 months after your wife makes you buy one. If you ever see a wedidng list with the "Homebase cheapo pedal bin" on it, then that's the one to go for if you want to give a present that will last a while.

Estimator

Hardy

Thanks. Bin wondering what it was.

full back

Quote from: Hardy on August 18, 2009, 10:17:02 AM

Fook sake hardy, dont start that rubbish..........

Dinny Breen

Billy,

Thanks, We had thought of that, well I did but I'm glad I went down the road we did as my parents have never had a wedding at home (USA and England) and the wife's family the same (Scotland and Cyprus)  but we've been living together 10 years and could afford it although if I hadn't been getting married there is no way we'd have 25K if you know what I mean.

Hardy,

Thanks as well, yea the price of flowers for the church shocked me as well but some people spend over 2k on that alone, or 600 euro on a cake, 500 on invitations etc but I married a chartered accountant and she was very conscious of cost so much she is now getting ready to sell her dress.

The cost broke down very roughly

Music, reception, alcohol 12K

Accommodation 2k (We were there for a week before hand)

Honeymoon and wedding rings 5k

Dresses, suits, priest, church, weeding fees, photographer 6K

Even the price of a photographer would break your heart, average 1500 to 2000 euro, ours was a lot less but you have to negotiate on everything, we reckon we cut the costs by 20% because we haggled on everything, if they wouldn't budge on price we just went somewhere else, in fact the bride located her dress 15% cheaper in Galway and got the local lady she was dealing with to reduce her price to that or else she'd just buy it in Galway.

It can be a rip-off but at 25K I think we did very well for the day we had but I would think that  :)
#newbridgeornowhere

pintsofguinness

Quote from: RMDrive on August 18, 2009, 10:10:56 AM

It's an expensive bin that will break on you about 2 months after your wife makes you buy one. If you ever see a wedidng list with the "Homebase cheapo pedal bin" on it, then that's the one to go for if you want to give a present that will last a while.

I assume, at the price, it goes around picking up the rubbish itself and puts the bag out for collection?
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Estimator

Quote from: full back on August 18, 2009, 10:20:44 AM

Waste of time talking to him...

Dinny Breen

QuoteWell done Dinny. Your day seemed perfect and was sometime similar to our own day. It helps when parents let you have a free hand at it and aren't imposing people on you. Band very important and ours really helped made the day.

Also say, it was probably the dryest day I ever had considering the amount of drink flying round. I was getting handed bottles of bud all day and was taking a couple of swigs and leaving them at tables. Worked out great, plenty of mixing and dancing.

Cheers BB,

The band were my project and they were brilliant, they had a free reign and finished up with a packed floor screaming 'one more tune'.

Agree with you about the drink, you're just riding the wave of goodwill that you just don't get a chance, wouldn't change a thing expect maybe the rain, it pissed rain all day...
#newbridgeornowhere

Rois

Quote from: pintsofguinness on August 18, 2009, 10:23:17 AM
Quote from: RMDrive on August 18, 2009, 10:10:56 AM

I assume, at the price, it goes around picking up the rubbish itself and puts the bag out for collection?

Oh I've a Brabantia bin in my kitchen, self-funded too, but it's very very good and much better than the cheapo one I had before.
Oh yes, and you need to buy the special bin bags too. 

Hardy

As long as all enjoyed it Dinny. I was just amazed that even the slimmed-down version cost so much. What must it cost if you're paying for horses and carriages and even pigeons?
Quote from: Estimator on August 18, 2009, 10:25:08 AM
Quote from: full back on August 18, 2009, 10:20:44 AM

Waste of time talking to him...

I refuse to comment.