Cure for Cancer?

Started by DownFanatic, August 15, 2009, 06:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DownFanatic

With the millions and millions of pounds being pumped in to cancer research, are we actually any closer to finding a cure?

The Gs Man

Keep 'er lit

Gnevin

A cure for cancer is like asking  x+y =z what is z without knowing x and y. There are many forms and causes of cancer and I doubt there will ever be a single cure .
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: Gnevin on August 15, 2009, 06:12:19 PM
A cure for cancer is like asking  x+y =z what is z without knowing x and y. There are many forms and causes of cancer and I doubt there will ever be a single cure .

Exactly right. There will be no cure for cancer as a whole. I think stem cell research is the best hope for it though.

The Watcher Pat

Quote from: Gnevin on August 15, 2009, 06:12:19 PM

X+y = 21 gnevin....do you know nothing.... ;)
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Capt Pat

Causing cancer is what the doctors have down to a fine art.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 15, 2009, 11:18:04 PM

Thats a big statement if ever there was. Care to elaborate ???
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Bogball XV

Quote from: Capt Pat on August 15, 2009, 11:18:04 PM
aye, for about 5 years and then they realise that the supposed cure/alternative was doing more harm than the original.

Bud Wiser

When there is a cure for cancer it is unlikely that any of us who would be unfortunate enough to need it would get it.  For example, there are many forms of treatment for cancer but the HSE are not going to stock their stores with the most expensive form of that treatment at all times. By this I mean that an ordinary Joe Soap is not going to get for example the best form of Chemo (which can be in tablet form, drip form or radiated,) like lets say he would get in the Mayo Clinic and all the patient is told is that you are "going on six months of chemo" but very seldom is the patient told exactly what would be the best chemo as opposed to what they are getting, mainly because they wouldn't know anyway.  A few years ago I had two ops for the dreaded C and the chemo doctor 'told me' he was 'running a trial drug alongside the standard chemo' for a six month period.  I told him he wasn't. He told me to go away and come back in a week and decide. I went back a week later and said I was taking neither the standard or the trial and two years later I got the all clear - touch wood.  The point is that if I had taken the trial drug it would have become an overnight success in terms of treatment for C if similar statistics were relied upon, just like the little mouse who has now made the news.  Most every year there is an announcement that a cure has been found but for my tuppence worth it will be a while longer but cancer research must be supported.
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Gnevin

Quote from: Bud Wiser on August 16, 2009, 12:03:29 PM
The point is that if I had taken the trial drug it would have become an overnight success in terms of treatment for C if similar statistics were relied upon, just like the little mouse who has now made the news
Hardly the whole reason for having drug trials is to weed out the statical anomaly such as the above
Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

pintsofguinness

I think they're plan is to get us to stop eating everything...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8202188.stm

::)
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

gerrykeegan

Come on pints, processed meat is bad for you, kids getting a taste for it is not good for them. No harm in trying to get parents to encourage the kids to eat well
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 17, 2009, 04:01:23 PM
Come on pints, processed meat is bad for you, kids getting a taste for it is not good for them. No harm in trying to get parents to encourage the kids to eat well
I agree but nearly every week we've got something in the news that you're not suppose to eat because it gives you cancer.

It never seems to cross anyone's minds btw that people buy processed meat because it's cheaper, who'd buy processed meat if they could afford better quality stuff? 

gerrykeegan

Who says its cheaper, its certianly a less hassle but not cheaper. Cooking a ham at home would be tons cheaper than buying the processed stuff
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

pintsofguinness

Quote from: gerrykeegan on August 17, 2009, 04:23:59 PM
Who says its cheaper, its certianly a less hassle but not cheaper. Cooking a ham at home would be tons cheaper than buying the processed stuff
You can buy packs of ham, with maybe 20 slices, for a couple of pound.  2 quid wouldnt go far if you were buying unprocessed ham and cooking it yourself.