The Hop Ball

Started by Louth Exile, August 13, 2009, 04:39:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louth Exile

Throwing this out there for the rules experts....

They brought it up on the evening show of the Sunday Game about the Peadar Gardener free, where he hopped the ball three times trying to get control of it and was blown for a free out. My understanding of this was that if you hadn't taken full control of the ball that you could essentially hop it as many times as you like, once you only used the same hand.

Am I wrong, what are the practicalities of the rule, have there been changes in recent times??
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com

AbbeySider

Quote from: Louth Exile on August 13, 2009, 04:39:33 PM
Throwing this out there for the rules experts....

They brought it up on the evening show of the Sunday Game about the Peadar Gardener free, where he hopped the ball three times trying to get control of it and was blown for a free out. My understanding of this was that if you hadn't taken full control of the ball that you could essentially hop it as many times as you like, once you only used the same hand.

Am I wrong, what are the practicalities of the rule, have there been changes in recent times??

The point they were making was that Gardener lost control of the ball.

The ball did seem to skid in front of him so to regain control he had to bounce it a few more times.
It was another harsh decision by the ref.

David McKeown

My understanding is that you were correct until last year or the year before when they changed the interpretation on the rule so that even if your attempting to control the ball referees are supposed to now award a free against
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

cornafean

Quote from: David McKeown on August 13, 2009, 04:54:25 PM
My understanding is that you were correct until last year or the year before when they changed the interpretation on the rule so that even if your attempting to control the ball referees are supposed to now award a free against

If that is the case, then the rule is silly. I don't really see any point in it.
Boycott Hadron. Support your local particle collider.

Smokin Joe

Does that mean then that under the "old rules" that you could bounce the ball basketball style the whole length of the pitch?

longrunsthefox

aye looked like three bounces to me...

Gold

that decision was a disgrace--he never had control of the ball
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

tyroneman

My understanding is that you can hop the ball as many times as you want to gain control of it initially. Up to ref then to decide when you deemed to have control

Donnellys Hollow

Wasn't there controversy about this before in the nineties. Ironically enough I think it was Liam McHale in a Connacht match against Galway in either '96 or '97. He hopped the ball several times before gaining control of it - Mayo ended up getting a crucial score further on in the play if I remember correctly.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Jinxy

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 13, 2009, 06:09:42 PM
Wasn't there controversy about this before in the nineties. Ironically enough I think it was Liam McHale in a Connacht match against Galway in either '96 or '97. He hopped the ball several times before gaining control of it - Mayo ended up getting a crucial score further on in the play if I remember correctly.

I remember that.
Then he threw it over the bar and shouted "Swish!" ;D
If you were any use you'd be playing.

mayo51

Quote from: Donnellys Hollow on August 13, 2009, 06:09:42 PM
yes this was the 1996 connacht final and it led to the go ahead goal by ray dempsey.

rosnarun

so how then does david bray's goal fit into this argument
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GxfCV7_JLEo
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: tyroneman on August 13, 2009, 06:03:00 PM
My understanding is that you can hop the ball as many times as you want to gain control of it initially. Up to ref then to decide when you deemed to have control

'Possession' is the key here: once you're deemed to be in 'possession' of the ball then the hop-ball rule applies, but not until.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

screenexile

Didn't see the Gardner incident but Bray's goal wasn't a bounce first it was more a drop. He then got possession and bounced the ball and finished.

Tricky rule but I would agree if you've bounced a ball and it's slid away on you you should be allowed a bounce to get control without being penalised.

Louth Exile

Quote from: David McKeown on August 13, 2009, 04:54:25 PM

Do you know, was it a foul "under the old rule" if you changed the bouncing hand?

Quote from: Smokin Joe on August 13, 2009, 05:43:25 PM
Does that mean then that under the "old rules" that you could bounce the ball basketball style the whole length of the pitch?

Technically yes, but you try doing that against 15 Meathmen!!
St. Josephs GFC - SFC Champions 1996 & 2006, IFC Champions 1983, 1990 & 2016 www.thejoesgfc.com