Liam Sammon Steps Down/Joe Kernan to take over?

Started by Duine Eile, August 13, 2009, 01:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duine Eile

MaroonandWhite you're back! Where the feck have you been, I had to deal with the Nicky Joyce fallout all alone!

western exile

Quote from: Zulu on August 14, 2009, 01:37:46 PM
I would suggest managing has less to with football and more to do with problem solving and organizing. If Gilroy was going in on his own I'd appreciate people having reservations but he had Whelan and he had IC playing experience and a powerful intellect, that's a pretty impressive package IMO. All Walsh has (that we know for sure) is the IC playing experience and 1 year with Sligo, now he may be an outstanding manager but at this time I don't see why so many are touting him as the Galway senior manager. Frank Doherty or Alan Mulholland are surely more worthy candidates, I can't rememeber who lead them to their recent U21 AI but that guy (was it Forde?) and some experienced club managers are also more worthy of consideration IMO.

IMO Sligo didn't do anything that they weren't capable of doing with almost anyone at the helm, their performance against Kerry was impressive I'll grant you but that seems to be the whole foundation on which Walsh's credentials are based. I simply think it would be prudent of the GCB to look for a man with a more impressive track record, and those guys are there in Galway were they there in Dublin? I can't think of any off hand.
The Sligo posters are crediting Walsh for choosing quality people to support him.  So Gilroy and Walsh are both the same. Unless you are questioning the intellect of Walsh?

Zulu

I'm not, but you don't need to be particularily intelligent to pick good selectors, that's more a football knowledge thing and I'd imagine his selectors may have been proposed by others unless he was heavily involved in Sligo club football himself. By the way, to make it clear, I'm not attacking Walsh as a manager but I am questioning the logic of those championing his case for Galway based on his record to date, which is only decent at best.

thebackbar

Quote from: Zulu on August 15, 2009, 04:59:09 PM
I'm not, but you don't need to be particularily intelligent to pick good selectors, that's more a football knowledge thing and I'd imagine his selectors may have been proposed by others unless he was heavily involved in Sligo club football himself. By the way, to make it clear, I'm not attacking Walsh as a manager but I am questioning the logic of those championing his case for Galway based on his record to date, which is only decent at best.

I agree, Its hard to imagine that kevin would of had that much knowledge of the Sligo scene to able to pick his own selectors. Did the county board pick them ? As far as I remember the galway county board selected Joyce & warren for O'Mahoney in 1997.

moysider

Quote from: thebackbar on August 17, 2009, 11:31:59 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 15, 2009, 04:59:09 PM

I agree, Its hard to imagine that kevin would of had that much knowledge of the Sligo scene to able to pick his own selectors. Did the county board pick them ? As far as I remember the galway county board selected Joyce & warren for O'Mahoney in 1997.

That was sensible.

Duine Eile

It would appear Joe Kernan is the football board's favourite to get the Galway job, he's already been approached by John Joe about it and he hasn't said no yet, according to Jim Carney in the Tuam Herald anyway. Interesting development. Joe's mother is from Ballinasloe, didn't know that.

muppet

Quote from: Duine Eile on August 26, 2009, 09:25:16 PM
It would appear Joe Kernan is the football board's favourite to get the Galway job, he's already been approached by John Joe about it and he hasn't said no yet, according to Jim Carney in the Tuam Herald anyway. Interesting development. Joe's mother is from Ballinasloe, didn't know that.

His father is from SuperMacs.

Both Galway strongholds.
MWWSI 2017

INDIANA

Armagh fans would tell you he wouldn't manage any other county :D

GalwayBayBoy

According to the brains trust over on Hogan Stand (don't laugh) the favourite is John Maughan and his unfeasibly tight shorts. ;D

Duine Eile

Along with Larry Bane and Brendan Coffey. ::)

muppet

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on August 26, 2009, 10:28:28 PM

According to the brains trust over on Hogan Stand (don't laugh) the favourite is John Maughan and his unfeasibly tight shorts. ;D

That would be a great name for a band.
MWWSI 2017

DuffleKing

Quote from: INDIANA on August 26, 2009, 10:25:49 PM

Armagh fans would tell you he wouldn't manage any other county :D

no they wouldn't but he'd tell you that.

he unsuccessfully interviewed for both cavan and louth jobs in the past

Duine Eile

It'd be a fantastic appointment if it worked out. He might instill a bit of belief and backbone into this team, something they seem to have lacked the last while. We might see the likes of Padraic Joyce and Declan Meehan giving it one more year. The fact John Joe approached Joe personally without waiting for club nominations shows how determined the board are to get a high profile manager. Poor Bunty won't get a look in now. :P

MaroonAndWhite

Quote from: Duine Eile on August 27, 2009, 08:08:50 PM
It'd be a fantastic appointment if it worked out. He might instill a bit of belief and backbone into this team, something they seem to have lacked the last while. We might see the likes of Padraic Joyce and Declan Meehan giving it one more year. The fact John Joe approached Joe personally without waiting for club nominations shows how determined the board are to get a high profile manager. Poor Bunty won't get a look in now. :P

Poor aul Bunt.....the canvassing was probably well advanced at this stage too  :D

The alternatives within the county are poor so I suppose John Joe wouldnt exactly bear the brunt of the clubs if he delivered the likes of Kernan. Id love to see him...moreso than Micko as Id say he could put the mental steel into the lads that they need plus in my opinion, Armagh played a decent style of football too under him. Still at present it is what it is....pure speculation.

Kerry Mike

I heard from a close source in the Kingdom , that Micko was seen measuring the road to Galway for the "milage", and with the new Shannon Tunnel he'd make it up and back in no time. Watch this space....
2011: McGrath Cup
AI Junior Club
Hurling Christy Ring Cup
Munster Senior Football