Liam Sammon Steps Down/Joe Kernan to take over?

Started by Duine Eile, August 13, 2009, 01:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: rosnarun on August 13, 2009, 11:24:07 PM
you can have o mahoney back if you ask nicely

Jasus the greatest thing since sliced bread not that long since ??? Anyways have a soft spot for Galway ( wifes from Tuam). who would the Galway lads
like to see getting the job & who do they actually see getting it?

Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Duine Eile

Well this Galway lady would love to see Kevin Walsh get it but really don't think he's going to leave Sligo for another year at least, we'll probably see one of the likely lads mentioned above getting it. Won't be anyone high profile anyway I'd say, the funds and to be honest the talent isn't there. This has really caught the co board by surprise though, from what I'd heard they were going to hold onto Liam for another year, let him see out his contract and then approach Kevin Walsh. They're rightly landed on their backsides now though.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Duine Eile on August 14, 2009, 12:30:45 AM
Well this Galway lady would love to see Kevin Walsh get it but really don't think he's going to leave Sligo for another year at least, we'll probably see one of the likely lads mentioned above getting it. Won't be anyone high profile anyway I'd say, the funds and to be honest the talent isn't there. This has really caught the co board by surprise though, from what I'd heard they were going to hold onto Liam for another year, let him see out his contract and then approach Kevin Walsh. They're rightly landed on their backsides now though.

Lady beGod :) Yeah, would like to see KW get the job too, he's maroon through & through, so ya never know ;)

stevecw

Actually don't be too shocked if Micko is on for this job.
The rumours around here are that Micko is finished with Wicklow as his..or sorry i should say Wicklows sponsors Ballymore Properties are not so going well, so will end their deal with Wicklow as they can't afford it anymore.  ;)
Thomas Walsh who was bought or even brought by Ballymore and Wicklow, is suddenly transferring back to his native Carlow.

So as the whole Wicklow thing is falling apart, Micko will on the look out for a new job.
And Galway would be ideal for him i'd say. So would not be suprised at all if he is next Galway boss.

ross4life

i'll say it again John Maughan is Available (i can see it now on the Galway touchline showing off his sunburned legs in those awful shorts, as he jumps for joy when Galway bate Mayo in Castlebar)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: stevecw on August 14, 2009, 12:54:00 AM
Actually don't be too shocked if Micko is on for this job.
The rumours around here are that Micko is finished with Wicklow as his..or sorry i should say Wicklows sponsors Ballymore Properties are not so going well, so will end their deal with Wicklow as they can't afford it anymore.  ;)
Thomas Walsh who was bought or even brought by Ballymore and Wicklow, is suddenly transferring back to his native Carlow.

So as the whole Wicklow thing is falling apart, Micko will on the look out for a new job.
And Galway would be ideal for him i'd say. So would not be suprised at all if he is next Galway boss.

Dont think they could afford him at the minute, if rumours are to be believed ;)

Zulu

What's with the Kevin Walsh love-in, what exactly has he achieved that makes him a good candidate for the Galway job? Last year Jason Ryan was being lauded as the best young manager in Ireland and Liam Sammon was hailed for the way he had Galway playing, 12 months on neither is flavour of the month. Walsh got Sligo out of division 4 but that should have been a given and his team were beaten in both of their championship games against division 1 teams so while Sligo did ok under his stewardship he hasn't proven anything yet and it would be a risk and ultimately a mistake to try and give him the Galway job now.

GaillimhIarthair

Quote from: ross4life on August 14, 2009, 12:58:00 AM
i'll say it again John Maughan is Available (i can see it now on the Galway touchline showing off his sunburned legs in those awful shorts, as he jumps for joy when Galway bate Mayo in Castlebar)
Ross, you will be hunted down and bate around Hyde Park if you keep suggesting the tanned one  >:( ;) :D

stephenite

Any chance of some of the clas of '98 stepping up? Always thought the likes of De Paor would end up managing Galway at some stage, mightn't have the experience but as McGeeney has shown it's not always necessary if you have a good backroom.

stephenite

Quote from: GaillimhIarthair on August 14, 2009, 08:16:19 AM
Ross, you will be hunted down and bate around Hyde Park if you keep suggesting the tanned one  >:( ;) :D

If the players were unhappy with their physical shape under Sammon they'd be cursing themselves for opening their mouths if Maughan had a go at them ;D

venter

John Maughan is not available..He is busy devising a scheme to get Andy Merrigan back to deel side.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: venter on August 14, 2009, 09:27:36 AM

John Maughan is not available..He is busy devising a scheme to get Andy Merrigan back to deel side.

if we got the auld moclair cup back to deel side i'd be happy venter
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Zulu on August 14, 2009, 01:04:58 AM
What's with the Kevin Walsh love-in, what exactly has he achieved that makes him a good candidate for the Galway job? Last year Jason Ryan was being lauded as the best young manager in Ireland and Liam Sammon was hailed for the way he had Galway playing, 12 months on neither is flavour of the month. Walsh got Sligo out of division 4 but that should have been a given and his team were beaten in both of their championship games against division 1 teams so while Sligo did ok under his stewardship he hasn't proven anything yet and it would be a risk and ultimately a mistake to try and give him the Galway job now.

You know Galway people all yr, were crediting Walsh with everything under the sun regarding Sligo. Reality is we were never a Div4 team, we just had one yr hangover where alot of effort or fitness wasnt there. We have some excellent players, Walsh deserves credit for the effort the players put in, like what walsh brought to table was a presence into the dressing room where some of our egos had to give it everything and couldnt call the shots. Also his choice of selectors was spot on and in fact they deserve credit too, I will say he didnt maximise our potential against Galway or tipp, but against Kerry for the first time in yrs I thought he got team selection and tactics 100% spot on. He would of learned an awful lot this yr so Im hoping he builds on it. From day 1 i will say he had his preparation, atitude and effort from the players where it needed to be and by the end he came good on team selection and tactics. The point on Jason Ryan was Wexford were never a AI semi final team, overachieved so they were never going to hit those heights again this yr, especially without Forde so it was inevitable to head downhill, I dont think we overachieved this yr so Im expecting alot better yr next yr where the management team and player hit the ground running. Walsh I dont think is a man to go back on his word.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

galwayman

I'm not surprised Sammon is gone. Some of his team selections and tactical decisions beggared belief.
For example - he played Niall Coyne corner back every time even though he struggled there all year. This was when he had a class corner back like Kieran Fitzgerald sitting on the bench.Fitzy has got a raw deal over the last few seasons as he is our best corner back by a mile but has struggled to get game time. This is not Niall Coyne's fault as he has never been a corner back and was obviously very uncomfortable playing there. He played a lot of underage football in the forwards and afterwards always in the half back line.
Then you have Sammon's obsession with either starting or bringing on Fiachra Breathnach in every game when it is plain to see that he is not an inter county standard forward.I don't remember him kicking a point all year!
Other lads like Darren Mullaghy and especially Alan Burke also seemed to get a raw deal from the management.
Tactically, the sight of Michael Meehan or Sean Armstrong in their own half back line was a common occurrence. This was plainly ridiculous. Meehan especially should never be more than 30 yards from the opposition goal.
Armstrong had kicked 3 points from play early on against Sligo from corner forward and was roasting his man and was then promptly moved way out the field. Crazy stuff.

It seemed as if Galway's training was not geared with championship in mind as they were flying in the league (Galway hammered Donegal in Pearse Stadium) and then looked very flat come championship time.

As for a new manager - I don't see too many candidates within our own county. It would be nice to see a "big name" manager come in now as I think this team needs that to push on.
Our major problem over the next few years will be the lack of talent coming through. We have performed dreadfully in the u-21 championship since we won the AI in 2005.We haven't even come close to winning Connacht since.At minor level also apart from the AI winning team of 2007 we have struggled. Looking back on that 2007 team also it is hard to see too many more of that team cming through.Paul Conroy is the only current starter on the county team with Joe Joe Greaney and Tomas Fahy I think the only other panellists at the moment.
I reckon Fahy, maybe Colin Forde and maybe Conor Doherty along with Conroy are the only ones from that team who have a chance of being regulars with Galway in the future.
There aren't many obvious candidates from the last 4 or 5 Galway minor teams either which is worrying

Farrandeelin

Quote from: venter on August 14, 2009, 09:27:36 AM

He must be a very busy man then. :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.