Do Kilkenny get away with more?

Started by lilpaulie85, August 12, 2009, 01:48:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lilpaulie85

Over the last number of years i have noticed alot of matches where kilkenny have got away with more than their opposing teams. In almost identical instances against waterford kilkenny where awarded frees while waterford were waved away. The same could be said for thw galway game. this is called "playing on the edge" when the cats do it. It's already hard enough to beat them without having to play to different rules.. Any Opinions??????
Chase the dream not the competition.

deiseach

I didn't get any sense on Sunday that the ref let Kilkenny away with things. We could cherry-pick examples endlessly, but I fail to see WHY refs would let Kilkenny off. Are referees part of some manner of Masonic conspiracy to favour them?

maxpower

I think it happens right across the board in terms of sport, the best players and the best teams tend to get the benefit of the doubt more often than less illustrious oponents.  I think KK would probaly shade more tight calls, referee's are human and the instinct would of course be to think that Tommy Walsh, JJ etc 'know' how to play on the edge.

Look at the big four in the premiership, New Zealand in Rugby
What happens next????

maxpower

By the by i don't think this is of any major significance in their recent dominance
What happens next????

mckieran

No, Its a complete myth that Kilkenny get away with more.

lilpaulie85

i'm not for one minute saying that they are dominent primarily on these calls, that is far from the case. This is the best team ive ever seen and rightly deserve all the praise they get. i just think that some of these descisions take the wind out of opponents sails some times at crucial points.

The Wedger

The most dominant team in any sport seem to get away with more.
Though part of that could be down to everybody watching them more closely?

slow corner back

In last Sundays game waterford got 20 frees and kk 11 so not much help from the ref there.

Royalranter

Kk get away with nothing when you compare them to Ciaran Whealan. I know he's a footballer but it's a bit of a joke. Never gets more than a yellow for assaulting people
Let em know your there

mckieran

QuoteIn last Sundays game waterford got 20 frees and kk 11 so not much help from the ref there.

This argument drives me insane. So many times, people say to me a ref favored a certain team as quote the number of frees given.

But if one team fouls more than the other, surely there would be an difference in the amount of frees awarded!

And generally, better teams tend to foul less.

lilpaulie85

Quote from: mckieran on August 14, 2009, 03:34:39 PM
QuoteIn last Sundays game waterford got 20 frees and kk 11 so not much help from the ref there.

This argument drives me insane. So many times, people say to me a ref favored a certain team as quote the number of frees given.

But if one team fouls more than the other, surely there would be an difference in the amount of frees awarded!

And generally, better teams tend to foul less.

Exactly its nothing to do with the number of frees it's how and what they were awrded for.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Do Kilkenny get away with more?

No.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Zapatista

Quote from: The Wedger on August 13, 2009, 07:30:52 PM
The most dominant team in any sport seem to get away with more.
Though part of that could be down to everybody watching them more closely?

True. I would know KK well but would struggle with identifying the Clare, Tipp, Lim etc players. It leaves me in a poor position to make comparisons.