Started by Bud Wiser, August 10, 2009, 04:25:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

020304 Tir Eoghain

Tis a good job they weren't both around at the same time :o
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: 020304 Tir Eoghain on August 10, 2009, 11:45:07 PM
Tis a good job they weren't both around at the same time :o

Ehhhh, they were for six years. Shefflin was on the Kilkenny team in 1999 and DJ hurled up until 2005.

DJ would definitely have the edge in terms of pace and he was a greater goal threat than Shefflin. I would also give him an ever so slight advantage with regard to skill and touch. Henry is a more physichal player and has a better work ethic. He is also more versatile and he is a better free-taker. It's a tight call between them but I'd probably go with DJ by a short head!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Galwaybhoy

There was no one like DJ to get goals however Henry is THE complete player.  At the weekend against Waterford with a score of 1-14 he became the top scorer in the history of the Championship overtaking Eddie Keher.  I loved DJ Carey but it has to be Shefflin for me.

johnneycool

Henry is able to win his own ball, something DJ struggled to do, but DJ had devastating pace and eye for the ball. Both have impeccible touches and vision to find team mates.

Splitting hairs but I'd go for Henry as he'd be harder for the opposition to bottle up.

mckieran

Always thought Shefflin was better

Kevin

Sorry BudWiser, just back to this now.

Elaboration ... as Henry is still playing I'd like his career to be complete prior to comparing him to DJ.

Nothing more.

hurlingspeed

Two of the greatest forwards ever seen and two of the greatest role models for any youngster!!  Henry is a major driving force behind the success of this of this current crop...I have been fortunate enough to see some of their trainings and every time he was the first man out usually banging balls of the far wall at Kierans.  While DJ's style got the crowds going, it's Henry who gets these current Cats motoring.  No one has mentioned his long road back from the cruciate injury...to see him struggling through his runs during that rehab was hard to watch but must have been an inspiration to those around him...to see him back hurling to the standard that he was last Sunday after going through that is unreal...this is what makes Henry the greatest hurler that there ever was in my opinion.

lilpaulie85

Shefflin is the more complete player, but djs eye for goal was unreal still henry for me
Chase the dream not the competition.

Highlander3

DJ's teams were mostly not as good as the teams that Henry has played on, which may be the most complete team ever. DJ i think got more attention, it was if you stop DJ you stop LL, you cant say the same for HS teams, both all time greats but for me its DJ was slightly better

Eoghan Mag

Neither I always thought Joacaim Kelly of Offaly was the greatest hurler of all time!

ross4life

here's the stats.....

Henry Shefflin  21-361 (424pts) 47 games 1999-present 9.02

D.J. Carey 34-195 (297pts) 57 games 1989-2005 5.2
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Dinny Breen

I always remember the buzz of antcipation when DJ got the ball, just don't have that with HS. Bit like comparing Seve and Tiger two different generations but for excitement alone not to mention his goals DJ gets the nod from me.
#newbridgeornowhere

AZOffaly

Both great forwards, but I think DJ got away with murder by referees. Jaysus he must have the highest steps per goal scored average in history :D.

I think DJ was the better predator type, but Henry is the more graceful. That point by DJ against Clare was one of the greatest I've seen though.

It's like saying do you prefer Jessica Alba or Jessica Simpson. It's all good.

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Dinny Breen on August 18, 2009, 02:31:43 PM
I always remember the buzz of antcipation when DJ got the ball, just don't have that with HS. Bit like comparing Seve and Tiger two different generations but for excitement alone not to mention his goals DJ gets the nod from me.
Henry would be Tiger Woods. Consistent, a great all rounder, wins more than anyone else.
DJ would be Seve. Not the complete player. A bit erratic from distance, but capable of chipping in from the bunker or behind the gallery to snatch the win.

Bud Wiser

QuoteThat point by DJ against Clare was one of the greatest I've seen though.

I think back then I said the same thing.  I was seated right above hime that day ion the 21yd line of the Hogan but on reflection now I think it was one of the easiest points ever scored in Croke Park, the Clare man (Lynch?) was on his arse on the ground and DJ had nobody near him so he had all the time in the world to do it.  Was still a good score though !!

Edit:  A shag it, I am after watching it again and it wasn't as easy as I thought ! 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ318L-5Uy0&NR=1
" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"