Helicoptor crash in New Jersey

Started by Carmen Stateside, August 08, 2009, 05:34:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carmen Stateside

Rescue efforts are underway in the Hudson river were a tour helicoptor has crashed into a small plane/ helicoptor between New York and New jersey.  6 people reported to be aboard the tour Helicoptor!  tourists no doubt!

The Watcher Pat

Sad to hear...Hopefully not anyone's relations or friends from the board.

I feel really selfish after typing that because they are someone relations/friends I hope they are all safe.
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

Carmen Stateside

Terrible tragedy, but I am surprised this has not occurered more regularly as the air traffic around Manhattan is crazy especially with those tour helicoptor.
Eye witnesses saying it collided with small plane.  The body of coptor has gone into river and other parts have landed in Hoboken NJ.

Carmen Stateside

Must be something in the water in the Hudson, Coast Guards are reporting that one person has been rescued from the river!!

J70

I do a bit of kayaking in the Hudson, and the number of tourist helicopters about is unbelievable. Apparently it was a small Piper out of Teterboro that collided with hit. Don't know anything about who was flying it, but I would say, in general, that the amateur fliers must drive the commercial pilots in the NY area mad. You had yer man who got lost and flew into the approach of a large jet going into JFK last week, the Yankees pitcher who flew his plane into a building on the Upper East Side last year and there's many other incidents you hear about.

The survivor story has been  changed to one body recovered now - I don't see how anyone could survive the collision, the impact with the river after the drop, and then the conditions of the Hudson itself.

muppet

Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 08, 2009, 05:57:35 PM
Terrible tragedy, but I am surprised this has not occurered more regularly as the air traffic around Manhattan is crazy especially with those tour helicoptor.
Eye witnesses saying it collided with small plane.  The body of coptor has gone into river and other parts have landed in Hoboken NJ.

RIP to the victims.

I would guess those aircraft were not under Air Traffic Control, control being the key word. Anything under 1500' is probably outside controlled airspace.

General Aviation (private pilots) demand the right to be able to fly almost anywhere in the States.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2009, 06:49:28 PM
Quote from: Carmen Stateside on August 08, 2009, 05:57:35 PM

RIP to the victims.

I would guess those aircraft were not under Air Traffic Control, control being the key word. Anything under 1500' is probably outside controlled airspace.

General Aviation (private pilots) demand the right to be able to fly almost anywhere in the States.

Not when encroaching on commercial flight paths entering and leaving major airports!
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Carmen Stateside

Bloomberg just spoke has confirmed the people on board the the helicoptor were Italian tourists and the pilot. Three people aboard the plane that it was in collision with.  Says it is no longer a rescue mission but a recovery mission.  2 bodies recovered no miracle this time very sad.  Only one of the wreckages have been located and there are bodies still inside.

muppet

TO no airports in Manhatten but you are right about approach paths. However Lax has a visual corridor for GA right over the middle of the airfield. Any PPL muppet can fly without being controlled over landing and departing traffic. Recipe for disaster.
MWWSI 2017

Archie Mitchell

Shocking story but not suprised. Went on one of the tours when I was over last year and there is a serious amount of aircraft in the sky around that area.

Tyrones own

Quote from: muppet on August 08, 2009, 10:25:30 PM
TO no airports in Manhatten but you are right about approach paths. However Lax has a visual corridor for GA right over the middle of the airfield. Any PPL muppet can fly without being controlled over landing and departing traffic. Recipe for disaster.

So I believe, i watched a documentary on the anti collision technology and one of the pilots being interviewed mentioned
paying more attention particularly when flying in and out of LAX as he had witnessed a few instances of near misses from the cockpit.

I do know the helicopter and light aircraft pilots are in constant contact with ATC in and around SFO at all times.
  - Walter Lippmann

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 09, 2009, 01:04:45 AM

So I believe, i watched a documentary on the anti collision technology and one of the pilots being interviewed mentioned
paying more attention particularly when flying in and out of LAX as he had witnessed a few instances of near misses from the cockpit.

I do know the helicopter and light aircraft pilots are in constant contact with ATC in and around SFO at all times.

Yes, but that sounds to me like our Government telling us (as they do) that they are in constant contact with our banking industry.
MWWSI 2017

Tyrones own

Perhaps but like yourself, I'm wired and can verify it...
  - Walter Lippmann

J70

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 09, 2009, 01:04:45 AM

Not only a near-miss - a commercial passenger airline on final approach to LAX (AeroMexico DC-9 I think) was brought down in the eighties after a collision with a small civilian craft. Could have happened last week at JFK with that pilot who got lost on the way to Suffolk county.

orangeman