gaa rip off merchants

Started by royalcountystar, August 08, 2009, 03:30:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

royalcountystar

the price for this years all ireland quaterfinal tickets,for terrace, was 20euro,but because meath and mayo are fixed for the same day as a hurling semi final we have to pay 30,or 45 if going to the stand...
does anybody else think this is grossly unfair????i have no intrest in seeing the hurling,and that is my choice,why are we being punished fiancially because of the roscommon wexford draw?

DennistheMenace

They should pay you for watching the hurling.

comethekingdom

This regularly happens. Kerry V Monaghan Quarter final in 2007 was charged at higher rate too beacuse of the Hurling semifinal between Waterford and Limerick that followed the football !

brianboru00

€45 to have the opportunity to see an All Ireland quarter final and An All-Ireland semi final involving perhaps the greatest hurling  team of all time in one of the finest sporting stadiums in the world.......

The GAA is'nt perfect but €45 for two top level fixtures is good value.  The same level of comfort (seated) at Thomand Park for an Ireland Australia soccer fixture is €55. so if we're to compare then how can you call the GAA rip off merchants. Thats not to mention the fact that students and OAPs get in for €20 and that juveniles can get in for a fiver...

Fair enough you don't particularly want to see the hurling but there are thousands who would like to and are taking advantage of that fact.

armaghniac

Don't be so tight, there are plenty of people who would love to see their counties in the quarter finals, €10 extra or not. And in seeing the hurling you'll see at least one team with importance to the All Ireland.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Donnellys Hollow

Quote from: royalcountystar on August 08, 2009, 03:30:46 PM
the price for this years all ireland quaterfinal tickets,for terrace, was 20euro,but because meath and mayo are fixed for the same day as a hurling semi final we have to pay 30,or 45 if going to the stand...
does anybody else think this is grossly unfair????i have no intrest in seeing the hurling,and that is my choice,why are we being punished fiancially because of the roscommon wexford draw?

The terrace wasn't open for last Sunday's quarter finals so everyone paid €35 euro for the stands. At least they are providing the option to patrons this Sunday to purchase cheaper terrace tickets.

Also Kerry & Monaghan and Kildare & Cork have had their football 1/4 finals paired with a hurling 1/2 final over the past two years so Meath & Mayo are not the first counties that this has happened to.

It probably doesn't reflect too well on the GAA to pair the two matches (as did their decision not to open Hill 16 last Sunday) but to describe it as a rip-off is a bit harsh. €45 for two of the most important matches of the year is good value when you compare it to the €40 that some people paid to watch a Liverpool youth team have a training session down in West Cork last week.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

Carbery

Why not stay at home and watch it on television.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Look as it as though you're getting to see an All Ireland semi final for 10 euro and not having to travel at all.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Jinxy

Oh stop complaining.
You should be happy we have a game to go to at this time of year.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

INDIANA

stay at home then- would cost you 60 sterling to see a premiership game or 80 euro for a rugby ticket sometimes. 45 quid is reasonable in my view- if you don't like it stay at home.

the green man

Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2009, 09:30:27 PM
would cost you 60 sterling to see a premiership game or 80 euro for a rugby ticket sometimes. 45 quid is reasonable in my view- if you don't like it stay at home.

True, but the premiership and rugby are professional sports and therefore have to generate income, so i don't think your comparing like for like. In my opinion the GAA has lost its way a bit by taking on a business ethos. We are not a professional or profit driven organisation, so why shouild we pay professional sport prices into our games?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: the green man on August 08, 2009, 09:44:50 PM
True, but the premiership and rugby are professional sports and therefore have to generate income, so i don't think your comparing like for like.

But the prices are nothing like the same, that's the point: €45.00 = £39.00. The poster has little to complain about, never mind starting a whole bloody thread about. If he/she finds it a rip-off, stay at home.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

comethekingdom

Qualifier matches were 25 euros to get thru the gate - now that was very steep compared to 45 for an AI Football quarter AND a hurling semi. Plus croker is a superb venue compared to some of the county grounds around the country (no disrespect ).

ildanach

Quote from: armaghniac on August 08, 2009, 04:42:24 PM
And in seeing the hurling you'll see at least one team with importance to the All Ireland.

now now, just because ye are of no importance to this years championship and indeed to most championships apart from 2002.there is no need to knock mayo and meath (or a least wait until one of us gets a beating from kerry- sure why are we even bothering to play the game. lets have a rematch of the 1996 final using the teams that lined up that day- does anyone have pat mcennenys number to ref it?)
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

Rawhide

Quote from: brianboru00 on August 08, 2009, 04:34:19 PM
€45 to have the opportunity to see an All Ireland quarter final and An All-Ireland semi final involving perhaps the greatest hurling  team of all time in one of the finest sporting stadiums in the world.......

The GAA is'nt perfect but €45 for two top level fixtures is good value.  The same level of comfort (seated) at Thomand Park for an Ireland Australia soccer fixture is €55. so if we're to compare then how can you call the GAA rip off merchants. Thats not to mention the fact that students and OAPs get in for €20 and that juveniles can get in for a fiver...

Fair enough you don't particularly want to see the hurling but there are thousands who would like to and are taking advantage of that fact.

were not a professional game, so it is a rip off

Quote from: the green man on August 08, 2009, 09:44:50 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 08, 2009, 09:30:27 PM
would cost you 60 sterling to see a premiership game or 80 euro for a rugby ticket sometimes. 45 quid is reasonable in my view- if you don't like it stay at home.

True, but the premiership and rugby are professional sports and therefore have to generate income, so i don't think your comparing like for like. In my opinion the GAA has lost its way a bit by taking on a business ethos. We are not a professional or profit driven organisation, so why shouild we pay professional sport prices into our games?

spot on green man
cccc is a true supporter lol