OWC hooligan gets slap on the wrists

Started by red hander, August 07, 2009, 04:48:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saffron sam2

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 07, 2009, 05:17:34 PM
For some reason, the Stewards (not IFA employees, but from a company called Eventsec), didn't take his name and address, so the IFA had to investigate, in conjunction with the PSNI. Anyhow, they eventually managed to trace him via his seat and ticket number, as well as tracking down eyewitnesses who were prepared to testify in Court (hence the Guilty plea).

Because, I assume, the minimum wagers employed by Eventsec don't have the same powers as, for example, the police in compelling an individual to give his / her details.

Anyhow, on that basis, the IFA announced that he would be banned for life from attending NI games i.e. even before his case came to Court. 

Surely pre-empting the court case could have had repercussions had Mr Savage decided to plead not guilty?

As for the suspended sentence meted out by the Court, I've no doubt that the IFA (and all true NI fans) are dismayed at the leniency, but there's not really anything more we can do.

Assuming this is a first offence, a suspended sentence is quite harsh, IMO. Obviously an opinion that few others share though.

None of which, of course, makes this asshole's conduct in any way less unacceptable; but if it's true to say that "there's always one", at least we can be assured that now "there's one fewer".

So, if there always one and now there's one fewer, how many does that leave now? None or one?
the breathing of the vanished lies in acres round my feet

Evil Genius

Quote from: saffron sam2 on August 07, 2009, 10:07:33 PM
For some reason, the Stewards (not IFA employees, but from a company called Eventsec), didn't take his name and address, so the IFA had to investigate, in conjunction with the PSNI. Anyhow, they eventually managed to trace him via his seat and ticket number, as well as tracking down eyewitnesses who were prepared to testify in Court (hence the Guilty plea).
Because, I assume, the minimum wagers employed by Eventsec don't have the same powers as, for example, the police in compelling an individual to give his / her details.
No, but there's no law against asking, is there? Or summoning a policeman to evince the information?

Anyhow, on that basis, the IFA announced that he would be banned for life from attending NI games i.e. even before his case came to Court. 
Surely pre-empting the court case could have had repercussions had Mr Savage decided to plead not guilty?
Absolutely not. For one thing they didn't name the suspect, so cannot have prejudiced any trial. For another, technically speaking, the IFA announced their intention to ban the perpetrator i.e. after he was convicted. And in any case, banning someone from your ground is a civil matter, not a criminal one.

As for the suspended sentence meted out by the Court, I've no doubt that the IFA (and all true NI fans) are dismayed at the leniency, but there's not really anything more we can do.
Assuming this is a first offence, a suspended sentence is quite harsh, IMO. Obviously an opinion that few others share though.
Had the linesman turned his head at the wrong moment, he could have lost an eye; I doubt whether he thought it "harsh". I personally would have liked to see him spend a month in jail as an example to others, but as a fan, I guess I'm biased.

None of which, of course, makes this asshole's conduct in any way less unacceptable; but if it's true to say that "there's always one", at least we can be assured that now "there's one fewer".

So, if there always one and now there's one fewer, how many does that leave now? None or one?
Boyso, you got me there. Well done. ::)

P.S. Why do I get the impression that you'd just love to use this incident as a stick with which to beat the IFA/NI fans, but feel frustrated that it has ultimately been dealt with as best it could have been?
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

DennistheMenace

In club games in GAA I've seen spectators assault referees with head and fist, obviously just not as high profile as this.

Rav67

Thought threads like this about OWC had to have a thumbs up on them as a general rule?  :D

The punishment seems fair enough to me from both the court and the IFA.

The Watcher Pat

Fair enough punishment I think you don't see many people in England jailed for the same either...As long as the ban is carried through properly which i think it will be because this man is a embarrassment to the IFA.

What they should have done was make him watch a Irish League match every Saturday for the next 2 yrs...

He would never even think of lifting a coin in anger again and would get him out of the house     ;)
There is no I in team, but if you look close enough you can find ME

ardmhachaabu

Jaysus, if this is the sort of 'family man' who attends OWC matches, I wouldn't like to see the scumbags...
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

stew

It might be more accurate to have entitled this thread "Ex-OWC Hooligan gets slap on the wrist".

I was at the game in  question and a good friend of mine was sitting a couple of rows directly behind this asshole. When Savage chucked the coin, he was immediately identified by fans in the surrounding seats, and was ejected (with his son) by the Stewards a couple of minutes later.

Finally, it should be noted that the fine imposed by FIFA in respect of this incident (£8k?) was at the very lower end of the range of possible punishments, in recognition of NI's previously good record and despite the fact that a section of the away  support was agitating and trying to provoke trouble (eg chucking a bottle at one of the NI subs as he warmed up).

He was an OWC hooligan before he threw the coin and he was an owc hooligan until the sentence was passed down, how quickly the deflection tactics start. This is another blight on the Irish set up involving coins, when will their fans learn?
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Bud Wiser

" Laois ? You can't drink pints of Guinness and talk sh*te in a pub, and play football the next day"

Evil Genius

Quote from: stew on August 08, 2009, 09:26:55 PM
He was an OWC hooligan before he threw the coin and he was an owc hooligan until the sentence was passed down, how quickly the deflection tactics start. This is another blight on the Irish set up involving coins, when will their fans learn?

A few posts back "Dennis the Menace" posted this:
"In club games in GAA I've seen spectators assault referees with head and fist, obviously just not as high profile as this"

Would you therefore agree that those spectators who have assaulted referees were 'GAA hooligans before they used their fists' and presumably still are, on the basis that many may not have been prosecuted? Can we describe them as 'another blight on the GAA set-up' and ask 'when will GAA fans learn?'. Or would you, as I do, be prepared to accept that such fans are unrepresentative of GAA fans generally, and not approved of by the authorities?

I have actually been heartened by this thread, since the majority of respondents have been reasonable in recognising that this was an isolated individual, who was dealt with appropriately by his fellow fans, the IFA and the PSNI/Courts etc.

The fact that you appear determined to draw an entirely different conclusion indicates to me that your approach to the NI team/IFA and its fans is so one-eyed as to qualify for the description "bigoted".  >:(

"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

oakleafgael

Not wanting to start a new thread so I will put this in here. The bus/train station in Coleraine had to be closed on Saturday afternoon as the Linfield supporters went on the rampage. A train load of returning marchers from Derrry where set upon as they got off the train and they fought for around 10 minutes before the police managed to restore order. Seemingly it was "tensions" between the UDA and UVF kicked off the trouble.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: oakleafgael on August 10, 2009, 11:20:11 AM
Not wanting to start a new thread so I will put this in here. The bus/train station in Coleraine had to be closed on Saturday afternoon as the Linfield supporters went on the rampage. A train load of returning marchers from Derrry where set upon as they got off the train and they fought for around 10 minutes before the police managed to restore order. Seemingly it was "tensions" between the UDA and UVF kicked off the trouble.
ahhh - but it was probably only 'one' that started the whole thing  ;)

....there must be something similar in the GAA circles....ok no,there isnt !

T Fearon

OWC Supergrasses? Good God this will have consequences, another loyalist fued

stew

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 10, 2009, 10:29:18 AM
Quote from: stew on August 08, 2009, 09:26:55 PM

A few posts back "Dennis the Menace" posted this:
"In club games in GAA I've seen spectators assault referees with head and fist, obviously just not as high profile as this"

Would you therefore agree that those spectators who have assaulted referees were 'GAA hooligans before they used their fists' and presumably still are, on the basis that many may not have been prosecuted? Can we describe them as 'another blight on the GAA set-up' and ask 'when will GAA fans learn?'. Or would you, as I do, be prepared to accept that such fans are unrepresentative of GAA fans generally, and not approved of by the authorities?

I have actually been heartened by this thread, since the majority of respondents have been reasonable in recognising that this was an isolated individual, who was dealt with appropriately by his fellow fans, the IFA and the PSNI/Courts etc.

The fact that you appear determined to draw an entirely different conclusion indicates to me that your approach to the NI team/IFA and its fans is so one-eyed as to qualify for the description "bigoted".  >:(

You cant post anything without referencing the GAA, tell you what, why dont you start a GAA thread were you air all of your issues with the association and I will respond to you in there instead of the whataboutery bullshite you fawn off. Wrong is wrong but sad little men like yourself resort to cheap whataboutery and throw the bigot label at people to deflect from the issue being discussed.

The GAA has issues but you will find we talk about them openly unlike some of you lot over at the norn iron set up.

BTW, I like to see every Irish team win every time they set foot in a sporting arena, that goes for the six as well. Shure didnt I cheer them on in Chicago a few years ago in person. ;D

Evil Genius

Quote from: stew on August 10, 2009, 05:14:15 PM
You cant post anything without referencing the GAA, tell you what, why dont you start a GAA thread were you air all of your issues with the association and I will respond to you in there instead of the whataboutery bullshite you fawn off. Wrong is wrong but sad little men like yourself resort to cheap whataboutery and throw the bigot label at people to deflect from the issue being discussed.

The GAA has issues but you will find we talk about them openly unlike some of you lot over at the norn iron set up.
Actually, I never even mentioned the GAA in any of my posts until "Dennis the Menace" mentioned that such attacks on officials are not unknown in GAA either. And even there I made it quite clear that I was not tarring all GAA fans with the same brush for the actions of one or two individuals.

Quite the contrary, I was complimentary about the reasonable (imo) reaction of GAA fans to the NI situation - in stark contrast to your incoherent and frankly bigoted rant!

P.S. You're clearly another one who does not understand the term "whataboutery". In this context, it would be my attempting to defend the NI fan by reference to GAA fans misbehaving. Nowhere have I sought to condone, never mind defend the NI "fan" in any of my posts. Rather, I have no hesitation in branding him a tosser whose action could only shame his fellow, genuine NI fans like myself.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

stew

Quote from: oakleafgael on August 10, 2009, 11:20:11 AM

Evil will find a way to twist this so that it is the GAA's fault. :o

Sawker fans in the north must be proud of the bluesmen and the brethren, funny you never see the rugger buggers get into trouble much do you?

The IFA might not be in a position to sanction these rioters, they did after all allow Tobermore to rent their facilities to well known loyalist killers a few years ago. Shame.

I wonder how many owc fans were among the rioters, plenty i am sure.