AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onion Bag

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 24, 2009, 06:40:24 PM
First off, well done Cork; they had a plan, and boy did they make it stick. Their greater pace, power and precision were too much for us on the day, a day on which we looked but a shadow of the team we often are. No greater testimony to the lethargy on the day were the vast swathes of an empty Croke with not a single Tír Eoghain jersey in sight, particularly when we had the numerical advantage, and space that we'd generally devour. Cork will take some beating in the final, and if they show the same levels of application and industry I don't see them being beaten, regardless of the victors on Sunday next.

What's with Spillane? A few weeks ago he couldn't speak highly enough of Mickey Harte and Tyrone, though in private in Louth, but once again goes and makes a complete ass of himself in public. He may be correct to a degree of course, Kerry have won the All-Ireland more than anyone else this decade, and what's more they put two titles back-to-back, something that we've found well-nigh impossible to do, despite having taken the less tortuous path via the Ulster Championship (the fact that we have to contend with Ulster and Kerry have to contend 'only' with Munster may be a factor, but that's another discussion). Nonetheless, the legs were not there, and the necessary energy levels could not be mined. And whilst Kerry may be indisputably and technically the team of the decade, I suspect that the team that will persist longest in the public consciousness as having captured the essence best, and been most emblematic of the decade will be Tyrone (followed by Armagh  :)). And is he seriously suggesting that Tyrone aren't great team based on a single performance yesterday, even though this team has beaten his own great Kerry team 100% of the games this decade, on no fewer than three occasions? If he is, he's on the wrong side of the asylum wall, and I know that all decent Kingdom agree with me on that one  ;)

It could be the end of the road for Brian Dooher, and what a servant to the county's cause he has been. Ni bheidh a leithid aris ann sa geansai Thír Eoghain.

And well done to the Armagh Minors, much the better team. 'Tis a pity though our cheering for them was not reciprocated with some of the Armagh folk  ???

A couple of words on the ref: bloody awful

We haven't gone away you know.

Oh Fear, i seen a brave few Tyrone flags flying when Kerry were scoring, you are always going to get a minority
Hats, Flags and Head Bands!

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Onion Bag on August 24, 2009, 06:59:12 PM
Oh Fear, i seen a brave few Tyrone flags flying when Kerry were scoring, you are always going to get a minority

No worries Onion bag, as you say, we both have our minorities. Shame on both.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

mckieran

QuoteTyrone got 3 scores from free's that weren't as it is.

There was one when Dooher went to ground. But I cant remember any other instance.

I was shocked at how many times the ref let players got away dragging their opponents around the neck (Is this tackling?!). We really needed to bring in the experimental rules from the league.

guevara

Firstly Congratulations to Cork they were superb yesterday & maerited their win.
Tyrone on the other hand seemed very heavy legged & the usual instigators of so much of their good work the Doohers, Harte's, Jordans & Gormleys simply never got going & couldnt inject any urgency into their play to start the fightback.
Stephen O'Neill is a fantastic talent every time he got good ball he tortured Anthony Lynch.
Cork are a massive side physically, but as was evident yesterday if you get in their faces they tend to lash out. Bannon wasnt man enough to send Miskella off after getting Alan O'Connors decision ridiculously wrong, but he seemed to side with Cork thereafter as if to try to make it up to them.

As a neutral it was afantastic game but I think if Kerry get past Meath they may cause Cork a lot more problems than they managed two months ago & if Cork try the same tactics with a better standard of Referee they may well loose the game through their own indiscipline.
Kerry have come on a lot & looked to finally have a togetherness that was missing for long periods of the Summer.
My tip Kerry to cause the upset.
"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen"

Michael Jordan

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 24, 2009, 03:55:48 PM
I don't understand why all of a sudden people are supposed to get behind a team simply because they are from the same province.  This would be the same team whose supporters you couldnt listen to from September last year until yesterday, giving bad manners about my county, other "lesser" counties, telling everyone how great they are and then being shocked when we don't get behind you? Also, I wonder would Tyrone folk be so sporting had that been Kerry that beat you yesterday?
You tell them  :D

Tyronies would have the world believe that everyone from Ulster has to support them.  I watched the 2002 final in a pub in the Moy and the locals were all shouting for Kerry, it's understandable when local rivalry is so intense.  I don't understand why they think it would be any different for Armagh supporters or Derry wans.  They have all taken great offense to people saying that they are glad that Tyrone lost and that.  I am glad they lost, it will hopefully shut some arrogant ones up for a while.  It is nice to see that most on here are gracious in defeat, the slabbers are still hiding though...
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ONeill on August 23, 2009, 11:17:55 PM
Also - Mickey had a bad day at the office. The Justin-Ricey swopping was just confusing and McMahon was badly exposed at CB. He also saw that the HF line were not competing with Cork's HBs. Tommy was not at the races whilst Joe and Brian laboured. The damage was done at 1-7 to 0-3. I thought Mickey would've attempted at least one change there.

Shane, (I think) you have mentioned this more than once since the match. Mickey mentioned in a radio interview after the game that he would be around next year as was agreed (contracted?) that he would.

Just curious, but do any of the Tyrone posters see the possibility that Mickey's right to stay might get called into question by elements of the support / clubs? I get the impression that despite his achievements to date, there are still elements who would not be too keen - the same people who were expressing disquiet last year before the All Ireland was won.

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: stew on August 24, 2009, 04:29:00 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 24, 2009, 01:53:19 AM
QuoteYou havent a clue sheehy, your level of hatred for tyrone and to a lesser extent Armagh is incredible, you were slabberin a while ago about the pony being disrespected and that the minors would keep that in mind? what the feck was that all about? it didnt do them much good though did it.

Tyrone are worthy champions, they owned kerry for years and you havent the class to admit that. Tyrone are a tremendous team, were a tremendous time any way you cut it and you have been the most negative gobshite on this board on the run up to this game.

I hope Meath bate youse, failing that Cork will hammer ye by 8 or 9 points and i think that would be even funnier. I would have been aneutral in the AI but if you somehow make it I will be hoping that Cork bate ye up and down the field.

be quiet you nutter. You're always liable to go off on your little rants. You,  with your head stuck up Tyrones arses. I suppose you have no choice given the epic failure of your own county..what is it again 1 AI out of 7 Ulsters ? pathetic

What kind of drugs are you on these days Sheehy, you are a bitter wee man and hate to see any Ulster team do well. i cant abide Tyrone but they are a tremendous team and i can take the rose tinted glasses off long enough to admit that.

You are shitting bricks, you know your team is shite and the mere thought of having to play Cork and get the shite kicked out of you is more than you can bear, hence the miserable bastid that you are these days. You hopefully wont have to worry about it because in all likelyhood you wont meet tham. C'mon the rebels. ;)

As for armagh, we have one AI and i was there Mike,it was the best day of my life and I have you and the rest of kerry to thank for it, you played your small part just like your crappy minor team did yesterday.  ;D

ahh its stewie "cant make his mind up" ....he loves Tyrone, he hates Tyrone, he loves Tyrone he hates Tyrone....and on, and on. You really are a nutjob.

And its a pity you have to insult young lads like that calling them "crappy" . Your a classy fella alright.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 24, 2009, 07:44:32 PM
Tyronies would have the world believe that everyone from Ulster has to support them.

Well, in fairness, I think it's fair that the Minors should have their neighbours' support, being the young lads that they are. The Seniors are well able to take the neighbours shouting for their opponents, and probably take it as an honour and would be positively spooked if they weren't ;)
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 24, 2009, 07:51:53 PM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 24, 2009, 07:44:32 PM
Tyronies would have the world believe that everyone from Ulster has to support them.

Well, in fairness, I think it's fair that the Minors should have their neighbours' support, being the young lads that they are. The Seniors are well able to take the neighbours shouting for their opponents, and probably take it as an honour and would be positively spooked if they weren't ;)
I'd tend to agree - also, when it counts the rivalry disappears in a heartbeat, like when Cormac died, the guard of honour from Armagh men on the border between the counties said it all.

Don't get me wrong, I have respect for Tyrone for what they have achieved but never wanted to see them win a thing  :D
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

ONeill

Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on August 24, 2009, 07:47:02 PM
Also - Mickey had a bad day at the office. The Justin-Ricey swopping was just confusing and McMahon was badly exposed at CB. He also saw that the HF line were not competing with Cork's HBs. Tommy was not at the races whilst Joe and Brian laboured. The damage was done at 1-7 to 0-3. I thought Mickey would've attempted at least one change there.

Shane, (I think) you have mentioned this more than once since the match. Mickey mentioned in a radio interview after the game that he would be around next year as was agreed (contracted?) that he would.

I don't see the connection between my quote and your post.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ONeill on August 24, 2009, 08:01:24 PM
Quote from: Rufus T Firefly on August 24, 2009, 07:47:02 PM

I don't see the connection between my quote and your post.

I took it from your post that Mickey made decisions that you feel did not work out. The impression I got from that was that you felt that some of his decisions were questionable. The match was of course lost.

Is there a chance that these issues that you referred to in the context of 'Mickey had a bad day at the office' and Tyrone losing, might turn into a more damning verdict on Mickey, that could lead to some questioning Mickey's tenure continuing into next year?   

ONeill

I don't know if you want that to be the case but no. Mickey has infinitely more knowledge than I do about how to win a game and he has proved time and time again that he gets it a hell of a lot more right than wrong. Three times he outfoxed Kerry on the greatest stage. However, yesterday his decisions, or lack of them, went against him. It was hence a bad day for him.

Anyone who thinks Mickey's tenure should be called in to question on the basis of one poor performance needs to be assessed by the head doctor.

Away back to Reservoir Dubs with you ye turncoat.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

stew

Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 24, 2009, 07:47:11 PM
Quote from: stew on August 24, 2009, 04:29:00 PM
Quote from: Mike Sheehy on August 24, 2009, 01:53:19 AM
QuoteYou havent a clue sheehy, your level of hatred for tyrone and to a lesser extent Armagh is incredible, you were slabberin a while ago about the pony being disrespected and that the minors would keep that in mind? what the feck was that all about? it didnt do them much good though did it.

Tyrone are worthy champions, they owned kerry for years and you havent the class to admit that. Tyrone are a tremendous team, were a tremendous time any way you cut it and you have been the most negative gobshite on this board on the run up to this game.

I hope Meath bate youse, failing that Cork will hammer ye by 8 or 9 points and i think that would be even funnier. I would have been aneutral in the AI but if you somehow make it I will be hoping that Cork bate ye up and down the field.

be quiet you nutter. You're always liable to go off on your little rants. You,  with your head stuck up Tyrones arses. I suppose you have no choice given the epic failure of your own county..what is it again 1 AI out of 7 Ulsters ? pathetic

What kind of drugs are you on these days Sheehy, you are a bitter wee man and hate to see any Ulster team do well. i cant abide Tyrone but they are a tremendous team and i can take the rose tinted glasses off long enough to admit that.

You are shitting bricks, you know your team is shite and the mere thought of having to play Cork and get the shite kicked out of you is more than you can bear, hence the miserable bastid that you are these days. You hopefully wont have to worry about it because in all likelyhood you wont meet tham. C'mon the rebels. ;)

As for armagh, we have one AI and i was there Mike,it was the best day of my life and I have you and the rest of kerry to thank for it, you played your small part just like your crappy minor team did yesterday.  ;D

ahh its stewie "cant make his mind up" ....he loves Tyrone, he hates Tyrone, he loves Tyrone he hates Tyrone....and on, and on. You really are a nutjob.

And its a pity you have to insult young lads like that calling them "crappy" . Your a classy fella alright.

I have never liked tyrone, never, I can however appreciate them for winning three All Irelands and the fact that they lit Croker up like a Christmas tree when they on song, that does not mean I liked it. Sometimes you have to give credit where it is due but for a fella like yerself  michael credit begings and ends inside Kerry's borders.

As for my comment about your minors being crappy, that was wrong, I didnt mean it and I was just digging at you. I never claimed to have class and I know that you have none you nordie hating tube.
Armagh, the one true love of a mans life.

Rufus T Firefly

Quote from: ONeill on August 24, 2009, 08:15:10 PM
I don't know if you want that to be the case but no.

Only Boylan challenges Mickey for the best manager that I have seen. There was some discussion about this last year, and I remember expressing amazement that so many in Tyrone could call for his head, right up to the Dublin game.

Fast forward to October last year - I met a fella I know who is a Club official up in West Tyrone. Congratulated him on the double and stated that Mickey Harte is an all time great! His response, and I kid you not,

'I don't know - he's a lucky manager!'   :o 

If you don't want him, we'll take him.

Anyone who thinks Mickey's tenure should be called in to question on the basis of one poor performance needs to be assessed by the head doctor.

Agreed - although I wasn't asking you whether you might be one of those making these calls, but rather whether you thought others might do so!

Away back to Reservoir Dubs with you ye turncoat.

Ah now come on! There's no call for that!

mckieran

QuoteMy tip Kerry to cause the upset.

This would not be an upset! Cork beating Kerry in the AI would be an upset!