AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

popinpoput

Firstly, well done Cork...fantastic commitment, hunger, drive and passion...qualities that are needed to win AI's and also beat great teams. I fervently hope that they go on and beat Kerry/Meath in the final.
Secondly, some of the anti-Tyrone begrudgery from certain posters is unbelievable...I can understand it to some degree as success does tend to cause the green eyed monster to rear its ugly head. We all want to see our own particular county be successful...that's what being a fan is all about...what I can't get my head around is the fact that many of our neighbouring counties can't lend their support to a fellow Ulster county in the AI context. I was rooting for Armagh minors today...I'll be shouting for Down next week. If it was Armagh or Derry playing Cork today I'd be roaring for them, regardless of how many AI's they have won or haven't won or how many times they have beaten Tyrone. That eejit pontificating about a pure Irish final should put in a grant for more brain cells...go and read up on your Irish history and maybe you will realise what being Irish is really about.
Thirdly, John Bannon was embarassingly bad...but then he always is. Surely the powers that be can see and read about his past performances...if there aren't more consistent referees about (other than McEnaney) then I fear for the game. He got so many things wrong and bottled the big decisions. Cork going to 13 men definitely would have changed the game in Tyrone's favour regardless of how badly they were playing...Canty and Miskella should have gone...not O'Connor.
Fourthly...Tyrone's performance....Mickey Harte as usual says the right things after the match...congratulating Cork on their win and attributing the win to their hunger, desire and stopping Tyrone from playing. However, he must be gutted that so many of his starting 15 played so poorly....wayward passes fom usually reliable men was the norm today...very few of which had anything to do with the Cork intensity. Tyrone's normal attributes were missing....there's no denying it, and that wasn't anything to do with Cork and Mickey I'm sure knows that. Privately he must be seething. Maybe when you have a few Celtic Crosses in your underwear drawer you aren't so keen to put your body in where it hurts, who knows?
Fifthly, some posters are saying that this is the end of the Tyrone team. I personally don't think so. Maybe Brian Dooher might hang up the boots. He has nothing to prove and maybe nothing to gain in the forseeable future. Looking down the line into the future, which Mickey will be doing, I think it could be 3 or 4 years before some of the upcoming talent break into the senior setup and allow Tyrone to once again challenge for Sam...but I can't see wholesale retirements.
Lastly....Kerry may win more AI's this decade....but they still couldn't beat Tyrone when it really counted...accept it Mike!

Mike Sheehy

Quote from: popinpoput on August 24, 2009, 01:54:48 AM
Firstly, well done Cork...fantastic commitment, hunger, drive and passion...qualities that are needed to win AI's and also beat great teams. I fervently hope that they go on and beat Kerry/Meath in the final.
Secondly, some of the anti-Tyrone begrudgery from certain posters is unbelievable...I can understand it to some degree as success does tend to cause the green eyed monster to rear its ugly head. We all want to see our own particular county be successful...that's what being a fan is all about...what I can't get my head around is the fact that many of our neighbouring counties can't lend their support to a fellow Ulster county in the AI context. I was rooting for Armagh minors today...I'll be shouting for Down next week. If it was Armagh or Derry playing Cork today I'd be roaring for them, regardless of how many AI's they have won or haven't won or how many times they have beaten Tyrone. That eejit pontificating about a pure Irish final should put in a grant for more brain cells...go and read up on your Irish history and maybe you will realise what being Irish is really about.
Thirdly, John Bannon was embarassingly bad...but then he always is. Surely the powers that be can see and read about his past performances...if there aren't more consistent referees about (other than McEnaney) then I fear for the game. He got so many things wrong and bottled the big decisions. Cork going to 13 men definitely would have changed the game in Tyrone's favour regardless of how badly they were playing...Canty and Miskella should have gone...not O'Connor.
Fourthly...Tyrone's performance....Mickey Harte as usual says the right things after the match...congratulating Cork on their win and attributing the win to their hunger, desire and stopping Tyrone from playing. However, he must be gutted that so many of his starting 15 played so poorly....wayward passes fom usually reliable men was the norm today...very few of which had anything to do with the Cork intensity. Tyrone's normal attributes were missing....there's no denying it, and that wasn't anything to do with Cork and Mickey I'm sure knows that. Privately he must be seething. Maybe when you have a few Celtic Crosses in your underwear drawer you aren't so keen to put your body in where it hurts, who knows?
Fifthly, some posters are saying that this is the end of the Tyrone team. I personally don't think so. Maybe Brian Dooher might hang up the boots. He has nothing to prove and maybe nothing to gain in the forseeable future. Looking down the line into the future, which Mickey will be doing, I think it could be 3 or 4 years before some of the upcoming talent break into the senior setup and allow Tyrone to once again challenge for Sam...but I can't see wholesale retirements.
Lastly....Kerry may win more AI's this decade....but they still couldn't beat Tyrone when it really counted...accept it Mike!

I understand why you chose the handle "popinpoput"...just like your team..popin one year then popout the next.

popinpoput

Quote from: popinpoput on August 24, 2009, 01:54:48 AM

Bit like yerselves, Mike!

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: DUBSFORSAM1 on August 24, 2009, 01:45:41 AM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on August 24, 2009, 01:25:38 AM
Congratulations to Cork. Better team won on the day. They showed far more hunger to win today than Tyrone. Was very disappointed in Tyrone's performance today. Most disappointed I have been in a while. Sean was a big miss and too many of their players played well below average. If i had to pick one Tyrone player who played well, it would have been Ricey, though he wasn't spectacular.

The less said about Bannon the better. Gave some bad decisions for both teams, though thought he was more sore on Tyrone IMO. Penalised Tyrone for crowind around Cork men while they had possesion, then let Cork away with it a few times for the same thing. No wonder Mickey Harte wanted a word with Bannon. It's not often you hear Harte on about the ref, though Bannon is quite a special ref! After viewing the O'Connor yellow cards, thought both were justified. The first was a clumsy late tackle and deserved a yellow card, no matter if he slipped or not. The second, he bodychecked Mugsy after he laid the ball off. Players have been booked before for this and will be booked again. Thought he could have gave him a warning as wasn't worthy of a 2nd booking, but still a booking. The Mugsy diving accusations of this incident are laughable. Miskella definitely should have got a straight red and should miss the final. Was a strike and merits a straight red card. McGuigan might have made a bit of a meal of it, but what are you going to do if someone slaps you in the face, close to the eye which you have had serious damage to in the past? Didn't see the Canty incident but the sunday game clowns seem to thing he pushed the line a bit. What minute did this happen in so I can get a look at it?

Hope Meath put it up to Kerry next week and if they can't finish the job, hope Cork do in the final. Too many slabbers down there and a few on this board, who have quite a hatred for Tyrone and Ulster football in general. They may have more All-Irelands and final appearances this decade, fair play for doing so and it's not their fault Tyrone werent there in them years to put it up to them, but they still failed to beat their main rival when it mattered most and you can tell that it annoys them quite a bit.

This won't be the end for this Tyrone team. Dooher and Holmes may call it quits but I think the core of the team will remain and a few years left in them yet. Also time to give up and coming players more game time, the likes of Sean O'Neill, McCaul, Cassidy and having the more experienced men on the bench to steady the ship. Not sure if any of last years minors are ready for the step up, but would do no harm to have Kyle Coney, Peter Harte, Niall, McKenna, Ronan McNabb and Gavin Teague in or around the squad.

Please tell me you are joking when you say O'Connor body checked Mulligan...he jumped to blcok the ball, didn't move out into Mulligans way at all and barely touched him at all and Mulligan still did a triiple salko...

McGuigan elbowed Miskella in the stomach and got a clip on the back of the bead...it wasn't in the face or anything and he made a massive meal of it...

Bodychecked is probably the wrong word, but after Mugsy played the ball O'Connor went into him. How you can say he barely touched him is laughable. If someone took your legs from under you would you remain on you feet? Hardly think it, but sure you Dublin boys are made of stronger stuff.

Regarding the Miskella incident, he still hit McGuigan. I said McGuigan made a bit of a meal of it, but he still hit him in the face/head or where ever it was at and deserved to be sent off for it.

Zapatista

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on August 24, 2009, 07:10:52 AM
Regarding the Miskella incident, he still hit McGuigan. I said McGuigan made a bit of a meal of it, but he still hit him in the face/head or where ever it was at and deserved to be sent off for it.

I'm glad he wasn't lined for it. It would be hard to face getting a lesson like that had Cork only 13 men.

While I'm gutted to be at the recieveing end of that, fair play to Cork, they have set a new standard.

Archie Mitchell

Quote from: Zapatista on August 24, 2009, 07:19:34 AM
Quote from: Archie Mitchell on August 24, 2009, 07:10:52 AM

I'm glad he wasn't lined for it. It would be hard to face getting a lesson like that had Cork only 13 men.

While I'm gutted to be at the recieveing end of that, fair play to Cork, they have set a new standard.

The result wouldn't have changed if he was sent off or not, though get your point about the 13 men. Derry still hear plenty of it about Tyrone beating them with 13 men in '95.

Cork did a Tyrone on Tyrone. Very similar to Tyrone in 2003, doing everyhing possible to finally get over the line to win the AI. Seems to be paying off anyway and best of luck in the final.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: magickingdom on August 23, 2009, 08:42:07 PM
Quote from: WeAreBlueWeAreWhite on August 23, 2009, 06:05:50 PM
no harm the nordies were beat at least there will be a pure irish final now

guys like you make me puke

Seconded, why does someone say this shite every now and again. North Ireland Gaels are more Irish than most and equal with everyone.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

Final Whistle

Cork were good and controlled every sector. Worthy winners and I hope they go on and win.

Note to Tyrone gaels, its not nice to applaud the sending off of anyone especially to be sent off by the incompetence of John Bannon.

Note to Cork Gaels, beat Kerry, for the sake of football.

Note to Armagh gaels, when a county lends their support to your minor team, it would be the honourable thing to do to support your neighbour back.

Note to Croke Park-get your head out the clouds and review your pricing structure. Plus, if Im paying £45 id like to be provided the water to wash my hands after I go to the toilet.

Note to clampers-go and die!!!

JMohan

Quote from: hardstation on August 23, 2009, 10:17:19 PM
Am I the only one who doesn't think McGuigan play acted? That was a decent aul dig.
No
I think it was a closed fist too.

Miskella should miss the final - guys like Tommy Freeman missed more this year for less

Then again if the GAA and CCCCCCCCC are biased towards the bigger counties and southern ones should anyone be surprised?

JMohan

Quote from: cadhlancian on August 24, 2009, 01:34:56 AM
watch it closer..........I think it was Daniel Goulding stuck his elbow in him as he went by him :-\
Might have a broken rib

JMohan

Mike - you've been spouting some sh!te this past while

full back

O Connor's sending off was ridiculous - 1st yellow card was deserved, 2nd one wasnt. As for those who said Mugsy dives, catch a grip. What do people want him to do when he is tripped?

Miskella deserved to walk. Regardless of how hard it was, he struck & should have walked. Would love to know what he got booked for? Doesnt matter if it is a final, the CCCCCCCCCC will have to investigate it.

Gormley was found out yesterday. Two scores came directly from his mistakes (touching the ball on ground & losing the ball in the tackle). Was good to see the referee not falling for his diving every time there is any contact with him.

Canty walked a very very fine line & probably deserved to walk for persistant fouling. In saying that all successful teams have these type of players

Harte had a very bad day at the office. Kept faith with a lot of his older/experienced players for far too long in the match.

Dooher has ran out of steam. Has been a tremendous servant to Tyrone but his time has come. Won a free in the first half by simply falling. Done the same in the 2nd half but the referee didnt fall for it a second time.

Davy Harte should NOT be allowed to shoot again!

Cavanagh was a massive loss to Tyrone. When things were going tough they had no-one to take the game by the scruff of the neck & take the game to Cork.

As has been said on many occasions, O Neill is a superb player. Looked like scoring everytime he got the ball.

Cork are a massive strong running team. If they perform it will be very very difficult to get a result against them

Lazer

I think it was a very good game and the right team won!

The ref was a bit of a disaster but it was all round, not just bad calls against Tyrone. After all Tyrone did have an extra man for a lot of the game. Yes, Miskella should prob have been sent off but that was well into the second half.

Cork played brilliantly and really deserved their win
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

timmykelleher

Did Tyrone's short kickout stategy work against them in the second half?
Fair enough they had guaranteed posession (so long as their backs didn't come inside the 21 to receive the ball :-) ) but by the time they worked the ball out the Cork half forwards and midfield had come back with the ball. Meaning inside the Cork 45 was hugely congested.
I say this because Stephen O'Neill looked unplayable in the first half but we didn't see any of him in the second.

Did they have any choice in their kickout strategy, given Cork seemed to have an edge on the kickouts in the first half?
Once Alan O'Connor was off and Cavanagh on would it have been worth a try to launch a few long in his direction?

Corcaigh - McGrath cup champions - 2009

amongthebushes

The better team won on the day, Tyrone were totally outplayed. The Ref didnt do either team any favours

The Tyrone weaknesses from the Kildare game came back again, mainly our two wing half backs being exposed for pace and defensive duties & likewise for PJ Quinn.

Both Jordan & Harte were a mile of the pace, dont know why Sean O Neill wasnt introduced earlier, showed his pace when he came on and was up for the challenge. I can see him claiming the Nr 5 or 7 Jersey next year.