AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONeill

Jaysus she's a wet one. Hopefully memories of Down '03, Down '05 and Dublin '08 rekindled.

And good luck to Armagh too.

I'm off.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Rois

This is what it's about. Up to the smell of a fry cooked by the mother who was up earlier than the rest of us and her not even going.
Setting off now, it'll be a very damp day in the uncovered Lower Hogan. I feel sick and it's not a hangover. Please please please God let us win.   

Diet Coke

All have a safe journey and here's hoping for an Ulster double.
Everybody knows there no sucha thing as Sanity Clause.

Hardy

Couldn't make up my mind about this one for weeks. Finally going for Cork more or less on the same basis as the fear factors O'Neill laid out. Tyrone can't go on forever and they have already been at the top for longer than the average top team. Cork look like the team to do it - they were hugely impressive to me in the semi-final two years ago - intensity (buzzword of the season, it seems) like I'd never seen before; though we were no real test for them then. This team has improved massively since then, in personnel, attitude and tactics and if they play to their best, could be unstoppable, especially with their big physical advantage.

Two major reservations:
- what Limerick were able to do to them raises doubts because what Limerick can do, Tyrone can do in their sleep. On the other hand, what Kildare almost did to Tyrone, Cork can do in spades.
- the game could be won on the sideline and Tyrone have the huge advantage here.

If this is the end for Tyrone it could happen in a big and painful way. On that basis I've had a small flutter on Cork by 6-10 points at 7.6.

A great one to look forward to anyway.

Main Street

Quote from: Hardy on August 23, 2009, 10:18:10 AM
Tyrone can't go on forever and they have already been at the top for longer than the average top team. -10 points at 7.6.

I wouldn't agree that Tyrone have been at the top for a long time, more up and down for a long time.
This is the first time they are seriously in the reckoning for 2 years in a row. Some major barrier has been overcome.

In my mind, Tyrone are the firm favourites with Cork (like Kildare) quite capable of beating them.
It won't surprise me to see the Tyrone tactical game gaining the upper hand over Cork's strengths.

Jinxy

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 22, 2009, 05:05:46 PM
Obviosuly Tyrone are extremely talented but in my view the thing that has set them apart from most teams is their fitness and willingness to work for each other and also their ability to stick to the plan no matter who is in the team.  I believe that Cork will match them for fitness and desire to work.  I believe they have the best central unit(5-12) in the country on ability alone.  I would have concernes about their fitness in the MF and also of those players in the middle I am not totally convicned about Alan O'Connor.  I played against him this year and he is Junior club player with size and strenght.  He could be a weak link so I reckon Fintan Gould should be ready to come in at a very early stage.  I know everyone talks about the strenght of the CHB, MF and CHF but I reckon the winning of the game will be on how the Miskella, O'Leary, Kerrigan and in particular Pa Kelly play.  Everyone knows what Miskella and O'Leary will do, Kerrigan is a speed merchant who can be devastating when he runs, Kelly in my view though is key.  he is the link man around the middle, he picks up loose ball, has a lovely eye and foot( I played with him in Ballincollig and he can find you with most passes) and he is under the radar somewhat.  I think he will have a big game and will bring a lot extra to the Cork attack.  Jordan has been as strong this year as previous years and if there s a weak link in the Tyrone HB line it will be him.

My opinion on Kerrigan so far in the championship is that he's a bit of a flat track bully.
The sort of player that looks great when the team is winning by 10 points but tends to disappear in tight games.
Maybe that's a bit unfair but I will be watching him very closely today.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

CĂșig huaire

Quote from: ONeill on August 23, 2009, 07:42:22 AM
Jaysus she's a wet one. Hopefully memories of Down '03, Down '05 and Dublin '08 rekindled.

And good luck to Armagh too.

I'm off.

Weather not as bad as expected, it looks like we got the worst of it overnight. Heres hoping for a good game. Think Tyrone will win handy enough.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: Jinxy on August 23, 2009, 12:27:56 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on August 22, 2009, 05:05:46 PM
Obviosuly Tyrone are extremely talented but in my view the thing that has set them apart from most teams is their fitness and willingness to work for each other and also their ability to stick to the plan no matter who is in the team.  I believe that Cork will match them for fitness and desire to work.  I believe they have the best central unit(5-12) in the country on ability alone.  I would have concernes about their fitness in the MF and also of those players in the middle I am not totally convicned about Alan O'Connor.  I played against him this year and he is Junior club player with size and strenght.  He could be a weak link so I reckon Fintan Gould should be ready to come in at a very early stage.  I know everyone talks about the strenght of the CHB, MF and CHF but I reckon the winning of the game will be on how the Miskella, O'Leary, Kerrigan and in particular Pa Kelly play.  Everyone knows what Miskella and O'Leary will do, Kerrigan is a speed merchant who can be devastating when he runs, Kelly in my view though is key.  he is the link man around the middle, he picks up loose ball, has a lovely eye and foot( I played with him in Ballincollig and he can find you with most passes) and he is under the radar somewhat.  I think he will have a big game and will bring a lot extra to the Cork attack.  Jordan has been as strong this year as previous years and if there s a weak link in the Tyrone HB line it will be him.

My opinion on Kerrigan so far in the championship is that he's a bit of a flat track bully.
The sort of player that looks great when the team is winning by 10 points but tends to disappear in tight games.
Maybe that's a bit unfair but I will be watching him very closely today.

I would have said that last year but he has more substance to himself this year, maybe the father had a word in his ear!

magickingdom

Quote from: INDIANA on August 22, 2009, 02:04:45 PM
Quote from: Zulu on August 22, 2009, 01:31:40 PM
Having flip flopped all week about the likely winner I've done so again and I'm leaning towards Cork now. Why? Well Tyrone, despite their ability have been beaten by some fairly average teams over the past few years, none moreso than Down last year. Cork aren't an average team and their pace and size will pose problems, can Tyrone deal with a team that has blown away Monaghan and Donegal in it's last two visits to CP? McGinley could find the pace tough going after the layoff and Cork have scorers all over the field can they all be contained? You could make a good argument for either team but I feel if Cork deliver, we know Tyrone will, they'll win. Now I'll be back in an hour to tell ye why I think Tyrone will win!

How many all-irelands have cork won?

How many big games in Croker have Cork won?

Match ups 1-15. Tyrone ahead in about 5 more positions than Cork

Tyrone for me- by 3-4points. Can't see all this optimism regarding Cork. They are playing the 3 time all-ireland champions tomorrow- not the boy scouts.

cork are always underestimated on the national stage, their a big physical team with a lot of speed and are well capable of beating tyrone today. i've looked forward to this game for weeks but weather like this always scares me as a kerry fan, anything can happen with a slippery surface and wet ball. if cork win today its far from the end of tyrone as we've seen before. take it handy on the roads.
ps 15/2 a draw

John Boy

Anyone any links to the games today?

Mickeys beard

Tyrone by six.  Mulligan two goals.
Boil the Drawers!

Highlander3

yea does anyone have any links to the game today?

wanderer

Does anyone know where we can get this on the internet (outside of Ireland)?
Cheers

Square Ball

Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

Highlander3

that link only seems to work for within the IOI