AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 09, 2009, 12:13:57 AM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 08, 2009, 11:57:57 PM
I am not confident youse will be beaten I just think Tyronies shouldn't be complacent about Cork.  Look where complacency got them in the first half against Kildare.  I would love to see the Rebels turn youse over - that I freely admit

That you loatheTír Eoghain and everything about us is quite plain, but there's certainly no complacency here with us, we know exactly the magnitude of the task-at-hand. This team are proven winners at this level when the occasion demands it. That's where we get the confidence from, but it's far from over-confidence -- this is a seriously good Cork team, and unless we rise to the challenge we'll be beaten. I think we'll rise.
That's exactly what I am getting at about Cork.  They are the best I have seen them in quite a few years

Oh and I wouldn't have such a problem with Tyrone if Tyronies would show more humility in winning and do less of the pointless bating that some do on here
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Gaffer

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 09, 2009, 10:45:33 AM
Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 09, 2009, 12:13:57 AM
Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 08, 2009, 11:57:57 PM
I am not confident youse will be beaten I just think Tyronies shouldn't be complacent about Cork.  Look where complacency got them in the first half against Kildare.  I would love to see the Rebels turn youse over - that I freely admit

That you loatheTír Eoghain and everything about us is quite plain, but there's certainly no complacency here with us, we know exactly the magnitude of the task-at-hand. This team are proven winners at this level when the occasion demands it. That's where we get the confidence from, but it's far from over-confidence -- this is a seriously good Cork team, and unless we rise to the challenge we'll be beaten. I think we'll rise.
That's exactly what I am getting at about Cork.  They are the best I have seen them in quite a few years

Oh and I wouldn't have such a problem with Tyrone if Tyronies would show more humility in winning and do less of the pointless bating that some do on here

Don't know where you got the idea that we are complacent about the Cork game. I certainly am not. I agree with you that Cork will provide a stiff challenge , however I have faith in Mickey Harte and the experience of the team to overcome the Cork challenge. Its a pity you wont be supporting your neighbours on the 22nd.
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

ONeill

Since last year, Brian McGuigan has been a class second half option. He holds the ball up at crucial times and usually steers the ship home, operating around the half back line. Love watching that fetch that set up Justin's score.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Tyrone Dreamer

Quote from: sandwiches_in_the_boot on August 09, 2009, 12:47:14 AM
Quote from: ONeill on August 08, 2009, 08:31:11 PM
I also think it'll be Hub/Enda at centrefield and Sean, O'Neill and Mugsy a three-pronged attack. Tommy v Penrose for the bench. Looking forward to this more than the Kildare game.

If he goes with Big sean number 14 (as likely) with SON and Mugsy then Penrose will get the drop I imagine. His deployment all year has been fast ball played in to the full forward line (usually diagonal). I like Marty Penrose a lot, but I'll understand if he's dropped, as he hasn't the physique to be in the half forward line against this Cork half back line. Although Mugsy actually played out the field earlier in the championship with marty and SON up front, I think Mugsy has proven far more effective closer to goal.
I'd like to see:
Dooher Brian Mc Guigan Joe Mc Mahon
S O'Neill Sean Cavanagh Owen Mulligan
Its not that I'm a massive fan of Cavanagh at 14, its just I think we need a football genius like Brian Mc Guigan utilising the possession (Tommy gave away some bad ball against Kildare, and Dooher was a culprit too) in that area. As well as that, Hub is at the peak of his career and Mc Ginley is just an outstanding footballer, he works so hard and delivers.

If Brian McGuigan is fit enough to play the full game then I think thats our best forward line. However for this game I think Harte should consider using Joe McMahon in defence. His size and strength might be needed there. If thats the case I would leave Penrose in the full forward line and move Cavanagh to half forward.

This game is going to be a huge test for the Tyrone team. Cork have been building and now look like a team with real All Ireland winning potential. I would call it pretty much 50 50. Tyrone need to work harder than they have done all year for the 70 mins. It has the potential to be the match of the championship.

Rois

ardmhachaabu, I had to ask a couple of pages ago whether we had any chance, as the Tyronies were pointing out all our deficiencies. Read back a few pages and you'll see how little confidence there is. 

Tyrone_redhand

Enough of this negativity. We are the AI champions, we beat Kerry 3 times and we will beat them again if they make it past Meath ......why should we fear Cork ?

Fear ón Srath Bán

Let's not underestimate the unaccustomed effect of 99% of Kerry folk support for Cork with this one -- that could really mess with their heads!
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

sandwiches_in_the_boot

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 09, 2009, 10:45:33 AM

I would not underestimate Cork, but they took 2 goes at beating (a then) under par Kerry side, went over 30 minutes without scoring against Limerick and had an exhibition game against Donegal. Can't see (other than a hatred of Tyrone) how you rate them as the best you've seen in quite a few years.

As for the confidence in Tyrone, I wouldn't mistake it for complacency. Despite the majority of the media tipping Kerry last September, there was a quiet confidence in Tyrone that has probably got a bit louder as AI Champions and the fact the team are unbeaten in the championship.

And anyway, is having confidence in your team not the definition of being a supporter!?!
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Frank Casey

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 09, 2009, 05:05:58 PM
Let's not underestimate the unaccustomed effect of 99% of Kerry folk support for Cork with this one -- that could really mess with their heads!

FSB - quit your mind games here and now. Could well root for the Red Hands here. Feck it doing Meath and yourselves on the trot................................... pass the smelling salts. :P

Although in fairness Meath'll hammer us.

And Gooch is back on the beer.

And Galvin's after wasps again.

And Jack O'Connor has another book coming out on the 29th August called Keys to Hell.
KERRY 3:7

ardmhachaabu

Quote from: Rois on August 09, 2009, 01:08:22 PM
ardmhachaabu, I had to ask a couple of pages ago whether we had any chance, as the Tyronies were pointing out all our deficiencies. Read back a few pages and you'll see how little confidence there is. 
I have been following the thread and to be fair I only replied to Gaffer as it was one of the silliest comments

Cork are beatable, so too are Tyrone as the Kildare match showed - arrogance annoys me though
Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something

Rocky Mc Guigan

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 09, 2009, 06:00:01 PM
I have been following the thread and to be fair I only replied to Gaffer as it was one of the silliest comments

Cork are beatable, so too are Tyrone as the Kildare match showed - arrogance annoys me though

I take it you're not from Crossmaglen then.

Gaffer

Quote from: ardmhachaabu on August 09, 2009, 06:00:01 PM

And what was silly about what I said ?
"Well ! Well ! Well !  If it ain't the Smoker !!!"

comethekingdom

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on August 09, 2009, 05:05:58 PM

Dont think any one from Kerry could ever root for Cork no matter who they play. You see, its an age old rivalry that no other county in Ireland can ever understand. Us Kerry people would far rather get beaten by any other county in Ireland other than Cork. (even Tyrone FOSB !!)

Tyrone_redhand

I think Tyrone will win this one with a bit to spare. We just have too much class with guys like Sean Cavanagh, Brian Dooher, Stevie and Mugsy. Also, I'd hope McCullagh starts this one. I think this is a game suited to him as he will get more space. Cork havent really beaten anyone except a poor Kerry side who IMO are a beaten docket. Dont be fooled by that Dublin result. I fancy Meath to beat them then it'll be revenge for '96 !!

020304 Tir Eoghain

Quote from: Tyrone_redhand on August 09, 2009, 10:24:17 PM
I think Tyrone will win this one with a bit to spare. We just have too much class with guys like Sean Cavanagh, Brian Dooher, Stevie and Mugsy. Also, I'd hope McCullagh starts this one. I think this is a game suited to him as he will get more space. Cork havent really beaten anyone except a poor Kerry side who IMO are a beaten docket. Dont be fooled by that Dublin result. I fancy Meath to beat them then it'll be revenge for '96 !!

Thats what some of the Mayo lads were saying earlier :-\ This is a serious Cork team and Tyrone will have to be at the very top of
their game to beat them.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.