AISF Aug 23rd Tyrone v Cork

Started by cadhlancian, August 02, 2009, 07:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Yesterday was the best possible preparation for Tyrone, and the worst possible preparation for Cork. Whether that will have any real bearing on this game only the 23rd will tell, but this little sequence of games comes to mind, involving another big strong team that destroyed the fancied opposition in the previous round:

2001 Semi-Final: Meath 2-14  Kerry 0-5

2001 Final: Galway 0-17 Meath 0-8
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

tyssam5

I wish this was the second semi instead of the first. Kerry waiting in the final would give Cork something to think about!

talktothehand

i think the only reason that tyrone struggled in the first half yesterday was lack of preparation time for tactics etc. they only had a week and few training sessions. mickey got the measure of kildare after the first half and the changes made settled the match. those who said kildare should have pushed on forget that there is a military maxim refering to the independent will of the enemy. tyrone adapted and therefore prospered. harte will have plenty of time to get to grips with cork because like all tyrone people this is the game we've been expecting all year!

tyssam5

Any statistians out there with access to the programs from the weekend care to calculate the average height and weight of Tyrone vs. Cork starting 15?

I worked it out for the AI final last year that Kerry were an inch taller and a stone heavier on average, we will have an even bigger size deficit to overcome in this next game I would think?

Fuzzman

Its gas the amount of newbies on here whinging about Tyrone's cynical tactics and how Cork will put manners on them. Sad ye have to hide behind a new name to speak your mind.

It sure has the makings of a great game and if both play to their potential we're on for some battle. Harte will no doubt have some plan up his sleeve but I'm worried that we've sent out the signal that you can afford to give away frees against Tyrone now cos we miss more than we score.

I think for the first time in years we could have the 3 or 4 best teams in the country who are all capable of beating each other.

Yes I Would

Should be a right ding dong battle. Cork have serious options up front, and barring stagefright should match Tyrones mobility workrate and most importantly scoring threat.
Heart would tell me The Rebels, Head Tyrone.
Noel O Leary straight red could be worth a punt if selected. Ricey, Gormley Jordan will goad the f**k out of him as per norm, and the fella just hasnt the gumption!!

johnpower

This will be a fascinating contest .As posted elsewhere some Cork fans don't seem to  rate Tyrone . How good were Kildare ?

While I think Tyrone will win due to having the better players I see a number of thrilling contests

Mid Field ? How hungry will the Cork half forwards be for breaking ball ?
How will the Cork full back line cope with an inform Mulligan  and O Neill ? I thought they copped up easy scores to kerry in both games .
Will Tyrone play Brian McGuigan for 70 minutes . Cork tend to have Canty as the main marker (a job he is not best suited to)
Corks running game seems to be their best game as is the one that Conor Counihan will go with but what happens when the Cork half backs run into the wall of defenders . ?

The size and weight difference will not be a factor it will be down to the best players and mgt on the day .

comethekingdom

Quote from: longrunsthefox on August 02, 2009, 11:25:13 PM
Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on August 02, 2009, 07:38:23 PM
Breaking a habit of a lifetime here.
Can't believe I am writing this - come on da rebels!!
I hope and believe Cork can and will win.
Can't see Tyrone getting eneough ball off them.
I would expect whoever wins this will win it out.
Never thought I would see the dau when Cork have so many scoring options.
Hopefully for Cork's sake Mr. Kennevy will be watching from home.

Jees! class! ... has Tyrone rattled the Kerry cage or wot  :P... now they're shouting for Cork. On the game itself... will be very tough for Tyrone... very. Oh! good luck to the Dubs tomorrow in puting the shower of begrudgers out of their misery

Looks like us 'begrudgers' will be about for another few weeks at least Fox! ;)

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: johnpower on August 03, 2009, 09:53:25 PM
This will be a fascinating contest .As posted elsewhere some Cork fans don't seem to  rate Tyrone . How good were Kildare ?

While I think Tyrone will win due to having the better players I see a number of thrilling contests

How will the Cork full back line cope with an inform Mulligan  and O Neill ? I thought they copped up easy scores to kerry in both games .
Will Tyrone play Brian McGuigan for 70 minutes . Cork tend to have Canty as the main marker (a job he is not best suited to)
Corks running game seems to be their best game as is the one that Conor Counihan will go with but what happens when the Cork half backs run into the wall of defenders . ?

The size and weight difference will not be a factor it will be down to the best players and mgt on the day .

That's a fair assessment John, we'll have our work well cut out, but so will the Corkonians. Fascinating is the word.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Jinxy

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 03, 2009, 08:51:02 PM
Any statistians out there with access to the programs from the weekend care to calculate the average height and weight of Tyrone vs. Cork starting 15?

I worked it out for the AI final last year that Kerry were an inch taller and a stone heavier on average, we will have an even bigger size deficit to overcome in this next game I would think?

At a guess I'd say Cork are a foot taller and 3 stone heavier on average.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

kickingmule

very good analysis:  i believe limerick/kildare both done their homework on these two sides...

cork/limerick

tyrone/kildare

TYRONE V CORK =

tyssam5

That will interesting to find out. Would think Cork might have an ability to break tackles given they have some big, fast lads. That's why I think size could indeed be a factor.

johnpower

Quote from: tyssam5 on August 03, 2009, 10:31:02 PM

That will interesting to find out. Would think Cork might have an ability to break tackles given they have some big, fast lads. That's why I think size could indeed be a factor.

Might be in terms of winning primary possessions but the best footballers on the day usually win through

Tyrone Dreamer

Cant wait for this. Looks like a huge challenge for the team and one of the best teams Tyrone will have come up against over the last 6 years. This is a Cork team that have been developing for a few years and now look ready to make the break through. Tyrone showed the hunger is still there and they will be well up for this. Would like to see a team something like this:
McConnell
Ricey
Justy McMahon
Gormley
Sean O'Neil (could take 45's and longer free's)
Joe McMahon
Jordan
McGinley
Hughes
Cavanagh
Brian McGuigan
Dooher
Penrose
O'Neill
Mugsy
The team could switch about as usual with positions meaning little. In reality Joe will probably stay in the forwards and its unlikely to see Harte dropped. Jordan had a worse game than Harte yesterday and got a roasting but still feel he's a better defender than Harte who spends most of his time up the pitch and at times picks no one up. Cork's running game will destroy us if the men arent picked up. Sean O'Neill is very athletic and full off running.

longrunsthefox

Quote from: comethekingdom on August 03, 2009, 10:04:32 PM
Quote from: longrunsthefox on August 02, 2009, 11:25:13 PM
Quote from: SuperDooperCooper on August 02, 2009, 07:38:23 PM
Breaking a habit of a lifetime here.
Can't believe I am writing this - come on da rebels!!
I hope and believe Cork can and will win.
Can't see Tyrone getting eneough ball off them.
I would expect whoever wins this will win it out.
Never thought I would see the dau when Cork have so many scoring options.
Hopefully for Cork's sake Mr. Kennevy will be watching from home.

Jees! class! ... has Tyrone rattled the Kerry cage or wot  :P... now they're shouting for Cork. On the game itself... will be very tough for Tyrone... very. Oh! good luck to the Dubs tomorrow in puting the shower of begrudgers out of their misery

Looks like us 'begrudgers' will be about for another few weeks at least Fox! ;)

Jees! sort it out down there or Tyrone wil have to do the begrudgers over again  8)