The Top GAA clubs in Ireland?

Started by GaelicGames.In, August 01, 2009, 09:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaelicGames.In

I asked a bunch of people on here to help with getting the clubs of all county players together a few weeks back.

Using that I've put together the top clubs in Ireland - ordered by the number of matches players played for their county in football:
N      Club                         No of matches by players from that club
1   Crossmaglen Rangers   446
2   Ballinderry Shamrocks  408
3   Gaeltacht  403
4   Rhode   397
5   Moy, Tír na nÓg   389
6   Portlaoise   358
7   Enniskillen Gaels   346
8   Corofin   343
9   Éire Óg   337
10   St. Gall's   333

Its mostly a bit of craic but its interesting to see how some clubs dominate their county's teams. Theres more on here:
http://www.gaainfo.com/articles/topclubs/index.php

Thanks to those who helped to put those lists of players and clubs together. I might come back soon and try to do the hurlers too.

corn02

Very interesting, that is some stat for Cross.

Actually after looking at the site I don't understand, is it saying only 18 Cross players have ever played county football? That can't be right.

Hardy

Very good info on the site, but there's something wrong. How many years are you going back in gathering the statistics on number of county games played by club members? If I look at Meath, for example, it appears that only 36 individuals have played for the county. And none from my own club, though I can think of at least eight off the top of my head who have played senior championship football.