the happiest day following your county?

Started by ross4life, July 31, 2009, 12:38:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hound

A good few years ago I lost the run of my senses and put a bet on of more than I could afford to lose at the time. It was an each way bet on Dublin to win Leinster - at the time Meath were the only opposition (so I thought) and in the other half of the draw. Dublin were 2/1 to win Leinster, so I put €200 e/w (not many bookies take each way any more for provinces), meaning I'd get €400 back if we were runners up and €1000 back if we surprised Meath and won. Effectivlly a free bet I thought so I got all the money together that I could.

Played Laois in the semis and were 4 points down with the game heading into injury time, and I can't tell you how I felt. Ian Robertson then popped up with a goal and a point. I went "fookin ballistic"!!!. Hammered them in the replay and were well beaten in the final - but I got my money back and learned a big lesson!

Jack Sheedy's last kick of the game winning point v Meath in (93? ) topped it though. That was sheer elation after all the heartbreak those hoors cost me!

ExiledGael

Has to be 2004 quarter-final. We'd a great run up to that but no-one seriously thought we'd beat Armagh, especially after they came storming out of the blocks. Hairs still stand on the back of the neck every time I watch Tom Brewster kicking over the winner, and that's about once a week.

red hander

2003 was brilliant, 2005 perhaps even better and 2008 up there with 2003 ... but I'd put the 1995 Ulster semi-final very close with all three Sams

milltown row

Quote from: A Quinn Martin Production on July 31, 2009, 11:55:21 AM
Easy for Saffs football fans!!

27th June 2009...Antrim 0-13 Cavan 1-7

89 semi final Croke V Offaly followed by the final. west Belfast emptied that day along with the Glens

comethekingdom

Beating Cork in the AIF 2007. - Nothing like beating your nearest & dearest!

ONeill

For a sustained period of elation during a game, nothing will compare to the last couple of mins of the 2008 AIF. Bang, bang, bang, bang.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Gold

v Cavan in Clones this year--a day i'll never forget
"Cheeky Charlie McKenna..."

Frank Casey

97 against Mayo. Too long away from the cannister but thank you Maurice Fitzgerald and Liam Flaherty,
KERRY 3:7

mouview

AI final of '98 prob. tops the list. Underdogs v Kildare, 32 years of heartbreak (for older fans) washed away in a second half of sublime football with all of Galway's big players hitting form. Best match weekend ever in Dublin and homecoming was exceptoinal also. '01 team was possibly better but the first is always the sweetest.

Maigheo Abu

Strange given my title but my top 3:
1992 Munster football final Clare beat Kerry and I was there
2008 Minor SF replay: back to the gaelic grounds where Mayo gave Kerry a hiding
1995 Hurling final oh Lord what a day
Great days against the Dubs and Tyrone but I really think that tiocfaidh ar lá, though it might not be this year.
The dream goes on.
Where the ocean kisses Ireland and the waves caress it's shores

RedandGreenSniper

At the time the Dublin semi-final in 2006 was the best but the hammering that came after it fairly neutralised that sense of elation. A semi-final is only a means to an end in my opinion so I would have to place the 2006 Under 21 final win over Cork as top of the list. I had been at 15 All-Ireland finals involving Mayo teams up to that day (senior, under 21, minor and colleges, including replays) and I really didn't think I'd ever see a Mayo team at any level win an All-Ireland, never mind just the seniors! The Under 21s changed that and hopefully that team can be the platform for the ultimate prize some time soon.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

3000 miles away

SUNDAY 22ND SEPTEMBER 2002, JOHN BANNON BLEW THE WHISTLE, KIERAN MC GEENEY HAD THE BALL. ENOUGH SAID.

Farrandeelin

True RedandGreenSniper, That was an exceptional day out in Ennis as well. The security-man closed the gate just as I was about to run onto the field but I pushed it out at him again and got out on the field!! ;D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Eastern_Pride

Without a doubt watching from behind the goal as Tony Hannon slots it over the bar for Wicklow 1-15 0-17 Down! For the biggest celebrations Portlaoise has seen. The look on Arthur French's face was priceless!
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?