Allstars

Started by corn02, July 30, 2009, 04:11:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Rav67 on July 30, 2009, 11:52:30 PM
Its absolutely ridiculous to say there are 7 certs at this stage. 

Agreed.

Quote from: Rav67 on July 30, 2009, 11:52:30 PM
And to call Davy Harte a cert, wtf?  Some Tyrone fans don't even think he should start based on performances to date.

Really, for example?
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

moysider

No point talking about certs yet. As many as a dozen may come from the AI finalists in an @ 60/40 split. That ll leave a few to go around. In 05 Ty and Kerry got 12 between them and 08 they got 11 between them. Because Cork and Mayo performed poorly in the 06 and 07 finals they were hammered in the All Star awards for some reason. Probably as many as 3/4 Mayo players lost awards in 06 final - likes of Heaney, McGar and McDonald [ who was great all year and could hardly be held blameful on the day], the latters ommission being inexplicable.

At this stage impossible to nail down certs. Seems Leinster teams have the best chance of picking up the stray ones where the team does nt have to get to even a semi.

Rav67

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer
Sean O'Neill was unlucky not to get a run on Sunday, I thought he looked in earlier games like he could provide Davy Harte with real competition for a place in the half back line.

One opinion such as that, is not quite the same as:

Quote from: Rav67 on July 31, 2009, 12:20:02 AM
Some Tyrone fans don't even think he should start based on performances to date.

Don't you think?

stephenite

An article by An Spailpin reminded me of 2006 - going into that game both Brian Cullen and Ciaran Whelan were touted as certs for All Stars, both had their reputations pretty much in tatters by the time the final whistle went. Not trying to have a dig at the Dubs on here, or the 2 lads for that matter, but it's far too early to be talking certs for All Stars at this stage

ross4life

Quote from: stephenite on July 31, 2009, 03:51:36 AM
An article by An Spailpin reminded me of 2006 - going into that game both Brian Cullen and Ciaran Whelan were touted as certs for All Stars, both had their reputations pretty much in tatters by the time the final whistle went. Not trying to have a dig at the Dubs on here, or the 2 lads for that matter, but it's far too early to be talking certs for All Stars at this stage

i'm not sure about Cullen but D O' Se & N Murphy were deadcerts for midfield that year & proved right,  C.Mortimer he had a stinker in the final but didn't stop him getting a all star
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

stephenite

Quote from: ross4life on July 31, 2009, 05:35:50 AM
Quote from: stephenite on July 31, 2009, 03:51:36 AM

i'm not sure about Cullen but D O' Se & N Murphy were deadcerts for midfield that year & proved right,  C.Mortimer he had a stinker in the final but didn't stop him getting a all star

Whelan was being touted by most as potential All Star up to the semi final - Mortimer had a stinker is right, not that many Mayo men didn't! He was top scorer in that years championship though which can possible account for the award, the runners up will always have some representation.

imtommygunn

Paddy Cunningham has been very quiet for antrim all year bar one match so I doubt he'd get one.

Would love to see Mick McCann get one from Antrim - he deserves it. Also maybe a half back. Not sure it will happen though.

Fuzzman

I think more so this year than any other to date teams almost seem happy to drift into the 1/4 finals at half pace and focus on peaking from here on in.
Of course this is never admitted and is a risky strategy but the effort and standard to date in most matches has been poor I think.

Therefore its from here on in that the real allstars will stand up and be counted and so maybe after this weekend we'll really see who's who & who has the hunger for the big fight.

Lots of us would love to see the end of this great Kerry team so that others can have a chance but can you imagine if they put up a performance like Tyrone did against the Dubs last year and so Dublin go out to years in a row getting caught by qualifiers peaking at the right time.

nrico2006

QuoteEarley
Brogan
Lacey
Pearse O'Neill
Davy Harte
Paul Galvin
Tommy Walsh

Not Far away:

Paddy Cunningham
Terry O'Neill
Mulligan
Alan Smith
Travers (Wicklow Keeper)
Michael Murphy
Wicklow fulll forward (name escapes me)
Goulding
O'Connor (Cork)

Far too early to be talking about all-stars, what happens over the next few rounds will determine who gets them - a good game or two in your province isn't enough, people have been mentioning players here and there but surely if Galvin is mentioned then Paddy Bradleys display against Monaghan alone would warrant mention, but as I said early rounds count for little unless you are consistent and have a team that will bring you to the business end of the season.  Paddy Cunningham shouldn't even be mentioned, did little in Antrims first 2 games and then hit a few frees in an Ulster Final where Tyrone were going through the motions.  I would say the only standout forward at the minute has been Bernard Brogan, but the oppositiion has to be taken into account and also how the Dubs do on Monday.  

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Joxer

Jus throwing a few names out there  :)

There is no Certs yet until the real business starts at the weekend.  Will sort out who is All-Star material

Rav67

Quote from: Fear ón Srath Bán on July 31, 2009, 12:26:24 AM
Quote from: Tyrone Dreamer
Sean O'Neill was unlucky not to get a run on Sunday, I thought he looked in earlier games like he could provide Davy Harte with real competition for a place in the half back line.

One opinion such as that, is not quite the same as:

Quote from: Rav67 on July 31, 2009, 12:20:02 AM
Some Tyrone fans don't even think he should start based on performances to date.

Don't you think?

Quote from: Mr. Nakata on July 22, 2009, 09:07:40 PM
Fair point regarding Sean O'Neill. The defense is pretty solid and if I was to be asked which defender was closest to the noose, I would have to say Harte. Now, over pints, Harte's defensive attributes are discussed after every game and we always ask is his obligatory score worth his position if his man is doing damage. The thing about that is, Tyrone are so good, the half backs always look brilliant. When we're being pegged back and under pressure, I know I'd rather have O'Neill in there. A hardy buck who does a marking job. Now I'm not trying to wind any Errigal Ciaran boys up, that's my own personal opinion on the matter, but this is always a hot topic of discussion when the creamy black pints are flowing.

What about this one just below the other comment.  I've seen similar comments in other threads.  They're hardly comments slating Davy Harte I know but they are indicative of a certain belief that he's not that great defensively.  I'm sure you would agree he's far from a cert for an all-star.  He would need Tyrone to win the AI for him to get another one. 

ONeill

This is from a similar time last year - http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=8916.15

Just shows how things can change in 4 weeks.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: Rav67 on July 31, 2009, 01:50:31 PM
What about this one just below the other comment.  I've seen similar comments in other threads.  They're hardly comments slating Davy Harte I know but they are indicative of a certain belief that he's not that great defensively.  I'm sure you would agree he's far from a cert for an all-star.  He would need Tyrone to win the AI for him to get another one. 

There are no certs at this stage, as we agree on, so I don't think it's relevant for Harte (or anyone else) at this poiint (or this side of a successful AI defence).

As for not starting him, I'm not sure that those contributors would maintain their respective positions at this point, some football has been played since then.

Fuzzman

I used to not like Davey and say he was too slow & often targeted by other teams as the weak link of the Tyrone defence.
He's really moved on though and is rarely taken to the cleaners these days.

His off the ball running is immense and he's become much more postive and doesn't always pass backwards or sidewards any more.
He often kicks long passes into the forward line and we know he has an eye for a score.