Documentary on Irish Slaves in Barbados to air on TG4

Started by The Iceman, July 29, 2009, 01:52:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ludermor

Quote from: Hound on July 29, 2009, 09:27:00 PM
Quote from: Roger on July 29, 2009, 05:35:25 PM
What is a Jackeen? Is it the opposite of dinosaur or something?
A non-saddo, with no chip on shoulder, who would gladly accept a hand of friendship from a stranger who is holding fesitivites to honour Ireland, rather than throw the kind invitation back in his face.

LOL whatever bout yourself Hound there are a few of your comrades here which that wouldnt apply to!!

red hander

Quote from: Hound on July 29, 2009, 09:27:00 PM
Quote from: Roger on July 29, 2009, 05:35:25 PM
What is a Jackeen? Is it the opposite of dinosaur or something?
A non-saddo, with no chip on shoulder, who would gladly accept a hand of friendship from a stranger who is holding fesitivites to honour Ireland, rather than throw the kind invitation back in his face.

It was more to do with accepting free drink all night than accepting a hand of friendship from a stranger

dillinger

Be good to watch that although BBC link refers to Scottish. Take it Irish were rounded up too?

muppet

Quote from: dillinger on July 29, 2009, 10:07:23 PM
Be good to watch that although BBC link refers to Scottish. Take it Irish were rounded up too?

They (English) rounded up Irish, Scottish, Welsh and even their own. It wasn't all a Nationality thing, it was mainly a class thing although it could easily be argued that as all Irish were viewed as the lowest class it was still a nationalist/genocide issue. The main priority it seemed was to send the drags to work on the plantations in the Carribean.

An interesting point in the book was that due to the serious reduction in the British Fleet due to a war with the Spanish (or French or both) Jewish merchants from Holland and the Continent pitched up in various ports along the south and west coasts grabbing children and beggars off the streets and also sold them to the plantations.
MWWSI 2017

Roger

Sounds like a reasonable description of situation.  Never heard the word before.

Ulick

It's on now on TG4. Hopefully repeated later in the week.

Denn Forever

Wierd to hear a mixture of Barbados/irish accent. 

http://www.tg4.tv/ but hopefully it will be up for future viewing.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Orior

What about the sacking of Baltimore? I only heard about this on Coast a few weeks ago

http://www.baltimore.ie/heritage_of_baltimore_county_cork/sack.html

Hey what about an apology? Lets blast all Algerian message boards now until they beg forgiveness, lol.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Asal Mor

Damien Dempsey has a song about the Irish slaves in Barbados - "To Hell or Barbados". Another great song from this powerful singer. He must have some GAA connections too because one time when I went to see him play in Galway
(a charity gig Damo was doing for PREDA) he dedicated "The Rocky Road to Dublin" to Ollie Canning and all the the boys from Portumna.