Started by CĂșig huaire, July 28, 2009, 11:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Craigyhill Terror

Quote from: niveaformen on August 25, 2009, 07:03:59 PM
Quote from: western exile on August 25, 2009, 03:05:13 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 25, 2009, 01:35:15 PM
Quote from: western exile on August 25, 2009, 12:38:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 25, 2009, 11:48:55 AM
Speculation is mounting that Aussie Rules star Martin Clarke is on the verge of making a permanent return to Ireland.

After making a huge impact in his first two seasons in the AFL, the 2005 Down All-Ireland minor winning captain has had a disappointing season with Collingwood, making only 12 appearances for the senior side and has been featuring for the second string in the Victorian League.

The Irish News reports that the 22-year-old's dip in form, coupled with homesickness, has left him seriously considering his options. And while he is unlikely to make any decision on his future until the AFL season finishes on September 26, there is already speculation that he could be seen in the Down colours next year.

If Clarke does decide to return home, it would soften the blow of the imminent departure of rising Down star Jamie O'Reilly, who is poised to join the Richmond Tigers as their first ever Irish recruit.
That is the operative word  ;)    The IN is not renowned for accurate reporting

I still have a lot of friends over there involved in Rules who say a few Irish lads will be home this year. Not necessarily Clarke. I'd be surprsied if he didn't give it another 12 months after his first season. Always got the impression from Clarke though that playing for Down meant more to him than anything else.
Some coup for Down if it did happen- could reignite football in the county.

I remember Tadgh Kennelly making similar shapes early in this career with Sydney Swans.  It resulted in a much improved contract for him.

Very accurate there from the Irish news, with James Colgan being captain  ;D
Surely with another year remaining on his contract he couldn't just up and leave?

Hoganstand said he was the captain, not the Irish News

niveaformen

Quote from: Craigyhill Terror on August 26, 2009, 12:58:03 PM
Quote from: niveaformen on August 25, 2009, 07:03:59 PM
Quote from: western exile on August 25, 2009, 03:05:13 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 25, 2009, 01:35:15 PM
Quote from: western exile on August 25, 2009, 12:38:08 PM
Quote from: INDIANA on August 25, 2009, 11:48:55 AM
Speculation is mounting that Aussie Rules star Martin Clarke is on the verge of making a permanent return to Ireland.

After making a huge impact in his first two seasons in the AFL, the 2005 Down All-Ireland minor winning captain has had a disappointing season with Collingwood, making only 12 appearances for the senior side and has been featuring for the second string in the Victorian League.

The Irish News reports that the 22-year-old's dip in form, coupled with homesickness, has left him seriously considering his options. And while he is unlikely to make any decision on his future until the AFL season finishes on September 26, there is already speculation that he could be seen in the Down colours next year.

If Clarke does decide to return home, it would soften the blow of the imminent departure of rising Down star Jamie O'Reilly, who is poised to join the Richmond Tigers as their first ever Irish recruit.
That is the operative word  ;)    The IN is not renowned for accurate reporting

I still have a lot of friends over there involved in Rules who say a few Irish lads will be home this year. Not necessarily Clarke. I'd be surprsied if he didn't give it another 12 months after his first season. Always got the impression from Clarke though that playing for Down meant more to him than anything else.
Some coup for Down if it did happen- could reignite football in the county.

I remember Tadgh Kennelly making similar shapes early in this career with Sydney Swans.  It resulted in a much improved contract for him.

Very accurate there from the Irish news, with James Colgan being captain  ;D
Surely with another year remaining on his contract he couldn't just up and leave?

Hoganstand said he was the captain, not the Irish News

My mistake sorry

Leo

I don't know much about Paddy Tally other than players generally like him as an innovative trainer.
Whetehr that qualifies him to become a county manager is another matter.
My main concern would be that he is too closely aligned to the outgoing management when a clean start is surely in the interests of the county.
There is no outstanding candidste in the county but I would not be opposed to wee James if he could put a solid backroom team together.
Fierce tame altogether

Logan

I don't think Tally will get it - whether the players or not want him - don't think Down would go for an outsider
McGrath 'might' be good choice - but is it a step backwards?
McCartan could be the option if the backroom team is correct - in other words an older more experienced man alongside him
Long term McCartan would be the best choice I think

johnneycool

Quote from: Logan on September 01, 2009, 10:27:26 AM
I don't think Tally will get it - whether the players or not want him - don't think Down would go for an outsider
McGrath 'might' be good choice - but is it a step backwards?
McCartan could be the option if the backroom team is correct - in other words an older more experienced man alongside him
Long term McCartan would be the best choice I think

Ask yourself which one is cheapest and therein lies the answer.

Logan

It's hardly McGrath, McCartan or Tally then

interested

Quote from: Logan on September 01, 2009, 10:43:14 AM
It's hardly McGrath, McCartan or Tally then

Frank Dawson then? ;D

Logan

Some County Boards are keen to splash the cash, Down mustn't be!

Maybe Ross and DJ are the best option for them

Logan

Sarcasm my friend, sarcasm 

man in black

new Down manager ? Does it matter
'Till things are brighter, I'm the Man In Black

thewobbler

Asking a serious question, should the players not have a voice in this decision?

Not a vote but a voice.

No matter who comes in, 18+ of last year's squad will be returning. Appointing someone who these players don't want would just be illogical, especially if their case is a solid one.

Logan

Quote from: thewobbler on September 01, 2009, 12:53:43 PM
Asking a serious question, should the players not have a voice in this decision?

Not a vote but a voice.

No matter who comes in, 18+ of last year's squad will be returning. Appointing someone who these players don't want would just be illogical, especially if their case is a solid one.

Who are you thinking of?

thewobbler

Nobody in particular Logan.

I don't even know if I agree with the idea at all, but it does seem a bit strange that the people most directly affected by an appointment have no grounds for opinion at all. I guess the same thing happens in all sports though.

Downboy

Just spoke to Frank Dawson while pickin the wee lad up from school. Sadly not very informative. I got a no comment when I tried the direct approach. Suppose it means he isnt completely ruling it out though