Wee James Is The New Down Manager

Started by CĂșig huaire, July 28, 2009, 11:20:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

under the bar

Sorry if this has already been posted but can;t find it in a search.

Who made up the interview panel for the Down  manager?

gorm agus bui

Quote from: under the bar on September 25, 2009, 02:35:55 PM

S og McAteer, J Devenney,P Blaney,E Haughian,S Ryan

gorm agus bui

Quote from: rosskarr on September 25, 2009, 03:34:30 PM
Quote from: under the bar on September 25, 2009, 02:35:55 PM

Why?  Do you need a lend of them to get you lot a Manager?
They can take the first one on a free

Class of 99

What about giving Colgan a go at number 3. Mcardle would be worth another look also.
Dan McCartan always gave everything he had but I think his time has passed

downredblack

Quote from: passedit on September 25, 2009, 01:32:28 PM
Quote from: tyrone86 on September 25, 2009, 11:43:44 AM
Don't kid yourselves lads, No.3 Dan McCartan.

i'D like to see him tried at 6 myself, but I fear that the sheer volume of begrudgers in this county (no more than tyrone armagh derry etc) will mean continued exile for him.

On a not entirely unrelated (pun intended) note it will be interesting to see how the Clarke brothers get on as I don't see John making the starting 15 (too slow).

I think Dan is too slow for county and gives away too many free's as a result , good man to have as cover and I thought  he should of been about the pannel last year but I can't see him making a return to the starting 15 , nothing to do with begrugery as I have nothing but respect for the McCartan's and all they have done for Down football .
I don't live in the county and don't see club football bar the county final ,how is Eoin getting on now after his injury ?

Mourne Rover

Dan McCartan did a fine job in damage limitation in his last game as Down full back against Sean Cavanagh at Newry in 08, but he probably does not have the size or the pace for the long-term position. Turley has to be worth a run of three or four game there between the McKenna and the NFL, and McArdle may have been dropped prematurely last year.

StGallsGAA

QuoteSorry if this has already been posted but can;t find it in a search.

S og McAteer, J Devenney,P Blaney,E Haughian,S Ryan

Anyone know who asked Pete if he thought the 90's team had under-achieved??

under the bar

QuoteAnyone know who asked Pete if he thought the 90's team had under-achieved??

Whoever it was,it seems  sensible enough, considering the talent that was about Down teams then.

If that question was asked of Peter McGrath alone then the process itself would be flawed since in a fair selection process each candidate should be asked the same questions.

StGallsGAA

QuoteIf that question was asked of Peter McGrath alone then the process itself would be flawed since in a fair selection process each candidate should be asked the same questions.

You have a point there but I suppose the other candidates were not managing Down in the 90's
so it couldn't really be asked to them

Then they have made a double blunder in asking a question that the answer to could only disadvantage him as a candidate and not the others.

StGallsGAA

QuoteIf that question was asked of Peter McGrath alone then the process itself would be flawed since in a fair selection process each candidate should be asked the same questions.

You have a point there but I suppose the other candidates were not managing Down in the 90's
so it couldn't really be asked to them

Then they have made a double blunder in asking a question that the answer to could only disadvantage him as a candidate and not the others.

It's a GAA Manager's job not some HR issue where you have all sorts of
rules and procedures.Not relevant here.Good-bye.

It#s nothing to do with rules, it's about the process being fair.  Don't you agree?

orangeman

Pete is still spitting fire over his perceived shafting by the CB :

The continuing dispute in Down over the appointment of James McCartan as the county's new football manager has reared its head again.

Former manager, Pete McGrath was surprisingly not considered for a return to management with Down after Ross Carr left the post, despite declaring his interest in the role.

McGrath made clear his displeasure with the situation and has now stepped down from his post as the county's under-21 manager after being snubbed for the senior position.

McGrath has said his ill treatment by the county board has left him with too much personal hurt to continue with the under-21's.

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/podcast/podcast_sportat7.xml

sammymaguire

heard this last night too, he made it sound like he was being victimised by one of the commitee/panel in a very harsh and unfair way and that he is a very proud Down GAA man and hurt by the way he was treated. Wrong decision in my opinion to appoint James instead of a man of this stature and experience but time will tell.
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

orangeman

Quote from: sammymaguire on October 29, 2009, 09:18:40 AM
heard this last night too, he made it sound like he was being victimised by one of the commitee/panel in a very harsh and unfair way and that he is a very proud Down GAA man and hurt by the way he was treated. Wrong decision in my opinion to appoint James instead of a man of this stature and experience but time will tell.

Who was the person that Mc Grath alleged led a campaign to oust him in 1993 ( in between the 2 All Irelands ) and was on the 5 man selection committee this time around ? Was it by any chance the same person that ased Pete if he still was motivated enough to do the job ???

Carbery

I feel both Down and Armagh were both very wrong not to appoint McGrath as their manager when both had the opportunity to do so.
I cannot see either winning an All-Ireland with the managers they have appointed but time will tell.

Bensars

Couldnt see any of them winning an All ireland in the short to medium term either, even if Mc Grath had taken the respective hot seat.