Ross Carr Has Been Sacked As Down Manager?

Started by football-4-life, July 28, 2009, 09:22:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

IT'S OFFICIAL

Carr is sacked as manager of Down 

Ross Carr's side were beaten in the qualifiers by Wicklow recently
Down manager Ross Carr has been sacked from his position following a meeting of the Mourne County Committee.

It is understood board members voted by a margin of 45 to 11 to dispense with the services of the Down boss.

Carr re-applied for his job after his three-year tenure came to an end but the county are now looking for nominations from clubs and officials.

Down lost to Fermanagh in the Ulster SFC and then were edged out by Wicklow in the third round of the qualifiers.

They had earlier beaten London and Laois in the qualifiers and gained NFL promotion earlier in the year.

Peter McGrath and James McCartan are being touted as favourites to take over the reins.

"At a meeting of County Committee this evening members voted not to reappoint the outgoing senior football management team," said a club statement.

"The selection panel will now proceed in the search for a new manager. County committee passed a unanimous vote of thanks to Ross Carr and his management team," it added.

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

CĂșig huaire

It was the right decision. Ross should have resigned after the Wicklow game. He did his best, it just wasnt good enough.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: ONeill on July 28, 2009, 10:57:00 PM
45 to 11? Jeepers, that's some margin.

Thats the general opinion in Down. He didnt do great job at all. A new man was badly needed. Now all the best players in county might get back on county panel. Great night for Down. Well done Kevin Bell and co.

Cosmo Kramer

I'm sure he appreciated the unanimous vote of thanks though...
A few Mayo GAA videos if anyone is interested - www.youtube.com/CosmoKramer100

Mid Down Gael

Quote from: Cosmo Kramer on July 28, 2009, 11:06:37 PM

I'm sure he appreciated the unanimous vote of thanks though...

He should have resigned to stop this happening. Ross and DJ made too many f**k ups. In no way did they deserve another year.

Mourne Rover

There are very few people who have contributed more to Down football at all levels than Ross, but he knew when he went after the job that the aim was an AI quarter final during his term of office. He had six goes, through the USC and the qualifiers, and came pretty close in 2008, but it ultimately did not work out for him.

Enniskillen was effectively the end of the line, and, while the county board were right to wait until the our season was over, the London game was scarcely better. Laois, by all accounts, was a good performance, and we were up against a dreadful referee in Wicklow, but a more astute use of subs would almost certainly have seen us through.

Ross was an outstanding footballer, and his finest hour was the 1991 AI final when he destroyed Martin O'Connell, who made the team of the millenium. He also built a fine minor team in 2003/2004, and another couple of bad refereeing decisions, in the Ulster final at Croke Park and the AI semi at Casement, cost him dearly.

While he did not enjoy much luck, he would probably have been well aware that only a handful of county managers make it through to a fourth term.

Lazer

I just want to say Ross has given Down a lot over the years and Thank you for this and despite all the criticism I think eveyone appreciates what you have done.
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

wobbller

He has brought us back to Div 2 where he started 3 years ago and was in charge when beaten by Div 4 team Saturday week ago.
Yes most definetly thanks.
    He was brought in after we were  beat by Sligo in 06 so yes he has really brought us on as force since.
More thanks.

Lazer

Quote from: wobbller on July 29, 2009, 03:11:57 PM
  He has brought us back to Div 2 where he started 3 years ago and was in charge when beaten by Div 4 team Saturday week ago.
Yes most definetly thanks.
    He was brought in after we were  beat by Sligo in 06 so yes he has really brought us on as force since.
More thanks.

Actually we were in Division one when he took over - we finished 4th in Division 1B in 2006

I'm not saying he was a great manager but he deserves the respect and gratitude of the county for stepping up to the challenge - he didn't succeed but he did try
Down for Sam 2017 (Have already written of 2016!)

DownFanatic

McIver ruled himself out of contention today. Has no intention of taking it on.

On the Hoganstand website.

Oldhacker

DownFanatic, the same story with identical quotes was in the Irish News yesterday. Practically all the material  on Hogan Stand is lifted from other outlets without any acknowledgements. Their northern coverage is effectively re-writen from the Irish News on a daily basis. The site offers a reasonably comprehensive service, but none of it is original.