Croke Park protest begins

Started by Ash Smoker, July 28, 2009, 08:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapatista

If there was no opposition and the residents just put up with it 'this time' it would become a regular thing. Fair play to the residents for high lighting this. The GAA and the promoter will have to give it more consideration next time out. Clearly the residents are happy to facilitate concerts and the games but they are entitled to as little disruption to their lives as possible.

wobbller

Quote from: bingobus on July 28, 2009, 09:50:40 AM
Quote from: fearglasmor on July 28, 2009, 09:44:03 AM
Quote from: Orior on July 28, 2009, 08:42:43 AM
. What did they think happened in that awfully big shed down the street?

I would guess football and hurling mostly. Mostly on a Sunday and maybe saturday. Not all the other shite that the GAA now pursue in order to pay for their lovely shiney toy.

If I was a resident, long standing or recent, I would be rightly pissed off too.

Worth noting that there was 40 residents at the "protest". Thats a very small % of the total residents, who would appear to get on with it and accept that they are located next to a major stadium. Their gripe seems to be that there is addition traffic now with the trucks coming in and out. City centre traffic was never easy as far as i can remember.
I'd totally accept that they are inconvienced but with everything in life there is choices than can be taken.

It's like the Holylands in Belfast over St Paddy's Day.
This is going to happen.

orangeman

Having the quarter finals put at risk surely should prompt the bosses at Croke Park question the wisdom of staging concerts of staging concerts so near to big games again.

Surely there should be a closed season to concerts / non GAA activity.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: orangeman on July 28, 2009, 10:16:18 AM
Having the quarter finals put at risk surely should prompt the bosses at Croke Park question the wisdom of staging concerts of staging concerts so near to big games again.

Surely there should be a closed season to concerts / non GAA activity.
The lure of the green is to much to refuse though for the greedy hoors regardless of the consequences.  Was there also not a limit placed on the number of concerts allowed each year?  I am sure with Take That & U2 there have been 5/6 this year already.

BerfArmagh

get some inspectors from the benefits office down there, if they are fit to protest, they are fit to work  :o

TacadoirArdMhacha

I think its fair enough to object to builing work going on all night. You have the draw the line there and , unlike large crowds on Sundays, when the resident bought / rented their houses, there was no real way of knowing that was going to happen.
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Premier Emperor

Let them off.
A few years back the residents associations were getting freebie tickets and flogging them for cash, until the GAA copped on!
Now the next U2 concert is in jeopardy because of their tactics.

ross4life

it's something u2 finished everynight at 11 while the builing work going on all night doesn't make much sense?

anyways a new layed pitch needs at least 3 full days for it to bed right! & with a double header on sunday the pitch is gonna cut up badly
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

orangeman

Quote from: Premier Emperor on July 28, 2009, 06:26:19 PM
Let them off.
A few years back the residents associations were getting freebie tickets and flogging them for cash, until the GAA copped on!Now the next U2 concert is in jeopardy because of their tactics.

I thougt they still get free tickets ?

INDIANA

VIP tickets and they were offered to stay in a hotel free of charge. But I agree I don't think working through the night is acceptable.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: Hardy on July 28, 2009, 09:50:03 AMFor a change, I have some sympathy for the residents this time. This is different to opportunistic protesting about match-day crowds or floodlights at 11 p.m.  Why should they have to accept what's effectively heavy duty construction/demolition work going on throughout the night in a residential area? Everyone needs their sleep and why should residents in this area give up theirs, without compensation, just to facilitate an international conglomerate and a sports schedule?

Which raises the question - do we have laws in this country about people's right to a quiet night - i.e. is there a specific law /regulation about the hours when noisy work is not allowed or is it just catch-all legislation about nuisance or something?

You're not allowed to make noise in a residential area before 8am (here anyway, I'm nearly sure it's the same in the 26)  

Agree with the rest of your post also.

Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 28, 2009, 07:14:11 PM
Quote from: Hardy on July 28, 2009, 09:50:03 AMFor a change, I have some sympathy for the residents this time. This is different to opportunistic protesting about match-day crowds or floodlights at 11 p.m.  Why should they have to accept what's effectively heavy duty construction/demolition work going on throughout the night in a residential area? Everyone needs their sleep and why should residents in this area give up theirs, without compensation, just to facilitate an international conglomerate and a sports schedule?

Which raises the question - do we have laws in this country about people's right to a quiet night - i.e. is there a specific law /regulation about the hours when noisy work is not allowed or is it just catch-all legislation about nuisance or something?

You're not allowed to make noise in a residential area before 8am (here anyway, I'm nearly sure it's the same in the 26)  

Agree with the rest of your post also.

This is true....
You'll Never Walk Alone.

ziggysego

I was never one to listen to them complaining about too many games or the odd concert. Now though, the work during the night is different. The GAA should never have allowed U2 or anyone else in so closed to a match day. It's my belief that all non-GAA events should be hosted outside the GAA Championship / Club / National League calendar.
Testing Accessibility

pintsofguinness

Quote from: INDIANA on July 28, 2009, 07:11:25 PM
VIP tickets and they were offered to stay in a hotel free of charge. But I agree I don't think working through the night is acceptable.
You're not serious!

that's mad, but doesnt make much difference in my eyes. 
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

Pangurban

How things have changed. I was once suspended for 3 Months for attended an event which featured non irish music and dancing, now we have Pop concerts in Croke Park itself. Dont normally have much sympathy for the residents, but on this occasion they are right.