Charity buckets

Started by longrunsthefox, July 27, 2009, 10:10:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longrunsthefox

Have been uneasy about this for a while and wonder what other people think. Am really not trying to be offensive but does anyone else feel uneasy about the amount of buckets being left on supermarket counters and at big games etc for charities especially for cancer charities. Before anyone attacks here... an immediate member of my family died in Newry Hopice a few years ago and I have seen the devastation locally over the last number of years. It is just, who monitors the people who empty these buckets full of cash? what does the money actually be used for? etc. There must be millions collected. It seems so open to abuse and where there is unaccountable money...well, ...temptation? I saw a bucket recently just had 'cancer'wrote on it... Hopefully goes without saying I believe if all the money goes to cancer care it is tremendous but it seems so open to abuse...   

ziggysego

After the scandal with the Helicopter for Ireland (or whatever it's called), you've every right to be wary of charity buckets.
Testing Accessibility

longrunsthefox

I remember a good one at Belfast City centre during Ulster Says No rally and two wide boys from nationalsit part of West Belfast went in with buckets and 'loyalist prisoners' wrote on it. Got them filled and away..class... but nothing to stop folk doing same for very worthwhile charities   

Orior

Quote from: longrunsthefox on July 27, 2009, 10:21:52 AM
I remember a good one at Belfast City centre during Ulster Says No rally and two wide boys from nationalsit part of West Belfast went in with buckets and 'loyalist prisoners' wrote on it. Got them filled and away..class... but nothing to stop folk doing same for very worthwhile charities   

lol. Cheeky bollix's but on a win-win situation.

If they were caught they make a hefty donation to the numptys, and if they weren't then its a new patio each.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Minder

There were a load of goons on the Falls Road last week in the middle of the road with "End Internment" on the buckets. IRSP I think it was. 
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

full back

I dont mind the people outside the shops with the buckets, its more the people who have taken to standing at roundabouts with puppydog eyes that annoy me

Maiden1

I don't mind the buckets on the counters, no one has to give anything to them, you can never be sure it actually goes to a charity but you can never be sure anyhow.

I went to our work canteen the other day and got lunch, I gave the woman a fiver and it came to something like 3.90 and just as she gave me my change she said 'we are doing a collection for cancer research (or something else) would you like to donate something'.  I hadn't actually noticed but there was a collection thing beside the counter.  There was a queue of people behind me and I didn't want to  seem like a complete c^&t and say no so I just put my change in the thing, it wasn't the money at all but it annoyed me that she had put pressure to get the money from me in that way.
There are no proofs, only opinions.

Tony Baloney

Quote from: full back on July 27, 2009, 12:32:49 PM
I dont mind the people outside the shops with the buckets, its more the people who have taken to standing at roundabouts with puppydog eyes that annoy me

Aye that pisses me off too. They are always collecting round the Mall and City Hotel traffic lights in Armagh. They generally just stand there and wait for someone to fire the money into the bucket as they pass, but this bollox collecting for Southern Area Hospice on Saturday came walking down to every car sitting at the lights and shook his bucket at the driver's window! You shouldn't begrudge having to give money to charity, but I did after that.

ziggysego

Quote from: Maiden1 on July 27, 2009, 01:25:21 PM
I don't mind the buckets on the counters, no one has to give anything to them, you can never be sure it actually goes to a charity but you can never be sure anyhow.

I went to our work canteen the other day and got lunch, I gave the woman a fiver and it came to something like 3.90 and just as she gave me my change she said 'we are doing a collection for cancer research (or something else) would you like to donate something'.  I hadn't actually noticed but there was a collection thing beside the counter.  There was a queue of people behind me and I didn't want to  seem like a complete c^&t and say no so I just put my change in the thing, it wasn't the money at all but it annoyed me that she had put pressure to get the money from me in that way.

They're not supposed to do that. The time I was collecting, we were told that you're not allowed to ask or wiggle the box in anyone's direction. They have to make first contact.
Testing Accessibility

Iceberg

Is it wrong that I lied one time about my age to get out of giving money to charity?  I got a knock on the door and was well caught off guard.  These 2 people starting telling me about this scheme for some charity (cant remember which one) and I was standing there as you do, feeling uncomfortable and wondering why the hell I opened the door as they where explaining the In's and outs of this charity.  Anyway, it turned out that you had to set up a monthly debit with them and then my luck changed when they said you had to be 25 years of age to sign up.  Well I'm over 25 but could pass for an under 25 so I told them, no i am only 23 to which i got a look of disgust I think because they had stood there explaining and it turned out i wasn't even the right age for the policy!!

I hate guilt trips and I can rarely say no to things like this so I was glad when there was a stipulation to participating!!

Im a cnut
Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?

Doogie Browser

Quote from: ziggysego on July 27, 2009, 02:25:05 PM

They're not supposed to do that. The time I was collecting, we were told that you're not allowed to ask or wiggle the box in anyone's direction. They have to make first contact.
That sounds wrong on so many levels!

full back

Quote from: ziggysego on July 27, 2009, 02:25:05 PM

Female prostitution ziggy,
Something to tell us..........................

Orior

Sucker! lol
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

longrunsthefox

Was driving through Achnacloy to Ulster final and this bald guy practically stood in front of the car and shouted with a bucket for the Carrickmore to Cork walk for charity.  Is so in your face that behaviour and felt like driving over the top of him.

carribbear

How do people feel about SARI collecting money at sporting events?