Corcaigh v Dún na nGall

Started by RMDrive, July 26, 2009, 08:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Zulu on July 29, 2009, 11:26:44 AM
Cork would easily beat the Galway team you consider close to the top.

Like they easily beat Limerick? Don't get me wrong Cork are a good side but they aren't world beaters. Not yet anyway.

Zulu

This is what I said........

QuoteIn other words going on the formline (a dangerous logic I know) Cork would easily beat the Galway team

so I didn't say they'd easily beat Galway and I also said Limerick would give Cork a right good game but I do think Cork have a lot going for them and I do expect them to win this weekend.

Tyrones own

Can't see anything but a 3 or 4 point win for Cork....
Murphy and McFadden would need to have absolute stormers
to turn them over i think :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

Boat Race In The Crowd

Donegal all the way after seeing that Limerick performance tonight. Cork will be slow to get settled after their long break and Donegal will punish them when Murphy and McFadden get all that space in Croker and start kicking over points for fun.

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: Boat Race In The Crowd on August 01, 2009, 10:29:35 PM
Donegal all the way after seeing that Limerick performance tonight. Cork will be slow to get settled after their long break and Donegal will punish them when Murphy and McFadden get all that space in Croker and start kicking over points for fun.
Definitely after seeing just how bad limerick are against a mediocre meath team there really is only one winner.com I can even see donegal with a rare all ireland final place if the better draw comes through...
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

RMDrive

Sorry lads. Thought I was on the Donegal thread but I've obviously wandered into somewhere else by mistake!!

I'm amazed at the amount of people talking us up for this one. Do we have a chance? Of course we do. We're not a bad team and if we are able to lift it a bit and Cork have an off day then who knows. But to take Limericks performance tonight as some sort of indicator that Cork are poor is just crazy stuff.

stevetharlear

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 31, 2009, 05:36:24 PM
Don't get me wrong Cork are a good side but they aren't world beaters. Not yet anyway.
I love this, saying they're no world beaters, but then adding 'not yet, anyway', just in case Cork go on the rampage lol.

Come off that fence there Galway boy! ;D

stevetharlear

Quote from: RMDrive on August 01, 2009, 11:14:11 PM
Sorry lads. Thought I was on the Donegal thread but I've obviously wandered into somewhere else by mistake!!

I'm amazed at the amount of people talking us up for this one. Do we have a chance? Of course we do. We're not a bad team and if we are able to lift it a bit and Cork have an off day then who knows. But to take Limericks performance tonight as some sort of indicator that Cork are poor is just crazy stuff.

There's alot being made off Donegal's run of games V's Corks lack of games. To be honest, I'd rather be Donegal, you just can't beat that winning feeling when it comes down to it, believing that you can beat anyone.

RM, ye're being talked up in Cork as well, there'll be no taking ye for granted tomorrow. For my own part, I thought Derry would beat ye and ye proved me wrong. Thought Galway would do the same but ye proved me wrong. I'm very worried that I'll be crying in my pint tomorrow evening.

Worst thing is I won't even get to see the game as I've a Championship match myself at 1430, was thinking of getting a mini radio for inside the boxers with an earpiece!

RMDrive

Quote from: stevetharlear on August 01, 2009, 11:20:53 PM
There's alot being made off Donegal's run of games V's Corks lack of games. To be honest, I'd rather be Donegal, you just can't beat that winning feeling when it comes down to it, believing that you can beat anyone.

Yeah, I think I'd rather go into the game on the back of a couple of hard wins than a few weeks off. In saying that though, people like Roper and Monaghan and possibly Boyle and Dunne will probably get tired coming into the last quarter. We need to time our subs right and keep as many fresh legs as possible on the pitch.

Quote from: stevetharlear on August 01, 2009, 11:20:53 PM

RM, ye're being talked up in Cork as well, there'll be no taking ye for granted tomorrow. For my own part, I thought Derry would beat ye and ye proved me wrong. Thought Galway would do the same but ye proved me wrong. I'm very worried that I'll be crying in my pint tomorrow evening.

A quick look on the republic of Cork site shows that ye are fairly confident though Steve. The majority of the talk seems to be about the semi-final!!

Hopefully it'll be a good game anyway. Got my ticket this morning and looking forward to heading off in the morning.

The bit below is from Hoganstand where a lad called Ruanua has posted an entertaining (if optimistic) view of the game ...

[Sleepless nights and Just Knowing
Just over 48 hours before Donegal take centre stage - Its only now that the realisation is hitting home, we are in the last eight, its do or die, big stage, momentum is with us, and I'm getting less sleep that I would with a bad case of the DT's.

The loss to Antrim is but a faint memory - Its filed away just like a February league match.
A few qualifiers in July Clare, Carlow seem like mere formalities now.
Derry/Galway - Mark the danger men, Play it in, take the frees - no drama needed.

So now we have the mighty rebels - the county that has given us legends of the game
Larry Tomkins, JBM, Cahalane, O Brien, JBM, Corkery, Shay Fahy, Teddy Mc,
But I stop and think and it hits me at 3.00a.m in the morning. None of them are playing on Sunday.

This is the mighty county with a record 36 senior AI titles incl. 6 in football
But I stop and think at 3.30 am in the morning the last one was in 1990 and We've won one since.

These are the Munster Champions the team that hammered Kerry - big fast forwards who can score heavy. But I stop and think at 4.00 am in the morning - We've coped with the Bradleys the Meehans, the Joyces - Are these guys better ??

This is the rebel county proud of its heritage and with a rebel spirit. And it strikes me 4.30 am in the morning, this is the county with good road grants, rich dairy land and a few places to feed yankee tourists. This is'nt rebel land. Rebel land is a county that sits on the periphery, Rebel land is the wilds of Gweedore Falcarragh, Glen- Bloody Foreland - Its us who are the Rebels.

So know the tickets are in hand, the lifts organised, Excuses for missing graveyard mass decided on, the Jerseys Ironed, The pubs to meet arranged,

And I'm not hoping, I'm not praying, I'm not wishing, I'm not Believing

I just Know !!!!!!!! 

stevetharlear

Fair play RM, wouldn't read too much into the PROC, full of WUMs. Check out rebelgaa for what the Cork GAA folk think.

Would say good luck with the game but I wouldn't mean it, so good luck with getting up in the morning! lol.

RMDrive

Quote from: stevetharlear on August 01, 2009, 11:39:02 PM
Fair play RM, wouldn't read too much into the PROC, full of WUMs. Check out rebelgaa for what the Cork GAA folk think.

Would say good luck with the game but I wouldn't mean it, so good luck with getting up in the morning! lol.

LOL honesty is the best policy. Phen we played in 2006 I was so sickened that I had to get out of Dublin. Missed the train to Mayo and decided to go to Tullamore and stay there for the night. Didn't know that there was a big festival on there and that there were no rooms available anywhere. Ended up in Tyrells Pass at a wedding at 2 in the morning. Good auld night considering!

Boat Race In The Crowd

Looking forward to being on here tomorrow night after getting back from Dublin, reading all the excuses from the cork and tyrone fans!....and I'll be £500 better off into the bargain

Tyrones own

Quote from: Boat Race In The Crowd on August 02, 2009, 12:47:55 AM
Looking forward to being on here tomorrow night after getting back from Dublin, reading all the excuses from the cork and tyrone fans!....and I'll be £500 better off into the bargain

500 ??? ballsy if to be believed, Will you be on if we're right?... and why exactly Tyrone people would be on making excuses escapes me,
simply giving my opinion of how i think it'll go.
I'd personally love to see you beat them but I can't see it, Cork are too big and strong in too many positions IMO
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: stevetharlear on August 01, 2009, 11:14:11 PM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 31, 2009, 05:36:24 PM
Don't get me wrong Cork are a good side but they aren't world beaters. Not yet anyway.
I love this, saying they're no world beaters, but then adding 'not yet, anyway', just in case Cork go on the rampage lol.

Come off that fence there Galway boy! ;D

Not too difficult to figure out in fairness. Cork may very well prove to be an excellent team that wins one or two All-Ireland's but they may not be ready for it just yet this year. Maybe they will be. I just don't know yet. Sorry if that was not made obvious enough for you.

Main Street

Looking forward to the game.
I think Donegal performed better than some people gave then credit for against a  lively enough Galway.
Their fitness and commitment should bridge much of the difference in class.
They can finish strong and pull off a surprise.