Kerry V Dublin

Started by magickingdom, July 26, 2009, 06:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

Dublin midfielder Ciarán Whelan last night strongly suggested that he had pulled on the Dublin shirt for the last time.

Speaking on Newstalk's Off the Ball programme in his first public interview after the crushing loss to Kerry in the All-Ireland quarter-final, Whelan said: 'It's highly unlikely you'll see me in a Dublin jersey again.'

Whelan was named on the bench for the Kerry match before being introduced after only 15 minutes.

While not criticising manager Pat Gilroy, the Raheny midfielder expressed his disappointment at his lack of game time in this summer's Championship.

'To be honest, it has been a long, difficult year from my perspective. It's probably highly unlikely that I'll be in a Dublin jersey again, but it's not the day to be making decisions. I'll reflect on it for a couple of weeks.

'To come in and play 60 minutes against Kerry in a high-tempo game when you have only played maybe 60 minutes of championship football all summer (is difficult),' he said.

'I would like to have been in Darragh O Se's position - he played three 70-minute games over the last few weekends. The older you get you have to be more sharp and have more matches under your belt. That would be my only disappointment. I wasn't as sharp.'

Whelan made his championship debut for Dublin back in 1996 on a team who were reigning All-Ireland champions at the time.

But he was wary about a lack of emerging talent in the capital and suggested that the underage structures in the county needed revision.

'Maybe there is a lesson in that the back-door is the route for Dublin. But I'm not so sure about that. Dublin have a terrible record out of Croke Park and our (away) league form is terrible. That's a mental thing,' he stated.

'Maybe if they took the back-door, though, and had to go around a few provincial grounds, it would make the team mentally stronger for when they got back to Croke Park.

'What happened last year can happen once, but when it happens twice, it does leave scars. I think it's going to take this Dublin team quite a while to get over the defeat.'

Son_of_Sam

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 05, 2009, 09:56:46 PM
Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 05, 2009, 09:22:28 PM
Ah no im only having a laugh lads, you must of understood that?

Just trying to imply that if some Dublin players are called scum then other players from other counties have to be labeled harshly also.
Same stuff year in and year out. At least we won a trophy, perhaps meaningless trophy but silverware all the same. Only the 4 Provincial winners and Kerry(League) have won something this year so i say the the other 27 counties is to get your own house in order first because its sad that most of you take more pride in the Dubs loosing against probably one of the greatest teams ever than your own county winning. How sad is that.

As i said we love that all we have to do to annoy culchies is to exist. Its great

magickingdom- im 25 and my name is Anthony. How are you  :-*

I blame Bastics Lao*s percentage.

Does that not make antrim, sligo and longford up with the greatest? Sure if they kept up with kerry they must be world beaters!

I love it, you couldn't make it up.

full back

Did you ever find that Donaghy incident sk?
Have you the link to it?  ;)

orangeman

Here's Micko's take on it :
Mick O'Dwyer has hailed Colm Cooper is the best forward of his generation and would be named in any team from any era.

O'Dwyer was in Dublin as one of his Wicklow charges, Tony Hannon, was awarded the Vodafone Footballer of the Month award.

'He's (Cooper) been around for seven years and in my opinion he's been the best forward that I have seen in that period. He's a class act and he'd get on a Kerry team in any period,' Micko said in the Irish Examiner.'If you have a player like the 'Gooch' on any team... he turned it on the last day. They were all saying he was this and he was that, that he was finished. That man will never be finished because he's a class act.'

O'Dwyer was one of the few pundits who tipped his native county to triumph in Croke Park on Monday, so was not surprised by their emphatic victory.

'I was pretty convinced. Croke Park is the place for Kerry. They don't produce their best until they get there.

'Any other team in the championship better beware. I think (Mike) McCarthy is playing outstandingly well at centre-back. He's been playing great club football the last couple of years. (Tommy) Griffin at full-back is playing bloody well.

'I think generally all around the team has plenty of talent and they have plenty of reserve talent and they'll take plenty of beating.'

While O'Dwyer expected Kerry to emerge with a win, he was still taken aback by Dublin's feeble resistance.

'Everybody in the country was amazed. They had played well in Leinster. That wasn't the true form of that Dublin team, they are a reasonable team. They just didn't perform the last day.

'They were beaten for pace, there was no heart in the team, there was no fire in the team; they just froze on the day
.'

Asked who will get their hands on Sam this year, O'Dwyer argued that all of the remaining counties still have a chance but that he has been particularly impressed with Conor Counihan's Rebels.

'Tyrone will have to beat Cork first and that won't be too easy. Cork gave an exhibition against Donegal.

'It's going to be a great All-Ireland final whoever is in it and we can't forget that Mayo are still around and so are Meath. Meath are a tough gang. They've come from nowhere before.'

SidelineKick

Quote from: full back on August 06, 2009, 09:35:56 AM
Did you ever find that Donaghy incident sk?
Have you the link to it?  ;)

No and no!
"If you want to box, say you want to box and we'll box"

Reported.

Archie Mitchell

I seen it on the RTE news link than someone posted up before. Around the 20 minute mark on the news.

After watching it, Bastick is a bigger tr**p than Whelan IMO.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on August 06, 2009, 10:03:44 AM
I seen it on the RTE news link than someone posted up before. Around the 20 minute mark on the news.

That link doesnt work here. f**k sake does nobody know what minute it happened?

Reported.

Archie Mitchell

Try the 65th minute or so as Kerry had a free close to goal and according to the RTE match tracker, Paul O'Connor scored a free in the 66th minute. Might not show it on the normal coverage as the news had a zoomed in view of it.

SidelineKick

Quote from: Archie Mitchell on August 06, 2009, 10:29:34 AM
Try the 65th minute or so as Kerry had a free close to goal and according to the RTE match tracker, Paul O'Connor scored a free in the 66th minute. Might not show it on the normal coverage as the news had a zoomed in view of it.

Thanks Archie. I must say I'll be extra cross if its not on the live footage.

Reported.

blanketattack

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 06, 2009, 10:07:20 AM

Sorry, I can't read your post. Can you try a bigger font?

SidelineKick

Quote from: blanketattack on August 06, 2009, 10:53:17 AM

:D

Surprise surprise, it doesnt show it! I'll never get to see it now. I hope everyones happy.

Reported.

full back

Quote from: SidelineKick on August 06, 2009, 11:03:16 AM
Quote from: blanketattack on August 06, 2009, 10:53:17 AM

:D

Surprise surprise, it doesnt show it! I'll never get to see it now. I hope everyones happy.

You are fecking useless sk
Cant trust you to do anything
All you had to do was find a simple clip of an incident from Mondays game which us nordies havent seen

SidelineKick

Maybe I didnt show it, but I'm quite frustrated that I cant get seeing it. I think I held my cool well though, I'm a relaxed kinda guy.

I'll see it some time, if not, hey, who cares?  :)

Reported.

The Real Laoislad

Quote from: The Aristocrat on August 05, 2009, 09:29:30 PM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on August 05, 2009, 09:25:18 PM
Whats the story with the * in Laois,are you another one of these juvenile reservoir dubs posters who also can't type Meath but have to spell it M**th?

Im sorry, il only tell you this once, I dont acknowledge people from the sour lemon county becuase to me you dont exist.

Ah Bastic- a legend. Love him.

So you are a juvenile reservoir dubs poster...or should I say reservoir d*bs poster  :D
Thanks for clearing that up
You'll Never Walk Alone.

Donnellys Hollow

He probably is LL. He's nowhere else to go because Reservoir Dubs has been down for over a day now. Pity because I often have a browse through some of the pearls of wisdom on there for a bit of light entertainment.

Sure what would I know though. I'm only a K****re man!
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?