Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eastern_Pride

Meath to collapse and mayo to knock over continuos easy scores for a kerry-dublin repeat.
Mayo 2-19 - 0-10 Meath
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

GBXII

I think, like a few people, the fact that its being so long since Mayo have had a competitive game will be a big factor. So far we haven't played a bad game, so just to be different and going on the law of averages, I think we might struggle, with us hitting lots of wides...

Mayo just...

Mayo 1-11   Meath 1-9

thejuice

I'm guessing Mayo 5-01 Meath 0-16. Neither team to score in extra time. Kerry given a walk over.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Eastern_Pride

Quote from: thejuice on August 08, 2009, 12:28:38 AM
I'm guessing Mayo 5-01 Meath 0-16. Neither team to score in extra time. Kerry given a walk over.
Both mayo and meath face kerry with bastick and whelan as hitman...
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

whitey

Quote from: thejuice on August 08, 2009, 12:28:38 AM

Wow what a coincidence-I was just talking to someone today about the Mayo minors of 1986. Maybe someone can correct me, but did they not score 5-00 against Sligo in a replay that year

stephenite

Stop feeding the Dublin troll - no one cares what he thinks of DB. It's all about 2009 and the team we have in place.

Hoping for a Mayo win, it's going to be a tough one.

I'm really just hoping that the layoff hasn't affected us - it could be a big issue, seemed to affect Dublin badly.

Tyrones own

I really don't see ye being troubled much at all... obviously important to hit the ground running of course
with the lay off but I'd say Mayo by 5 or 6 points :-\
Where all think alike, no one thinks very much.
  - Walter Lippmann

muppet

Quote from: Tyrones own on August 08, 2009, 04:19:28 AM
I really don't see ye being troubled much at all... obviously important to hit the ground running of course
with the lay off but I'd say Mayo by 5 or 6 points :-\

That's the key, we've come out the blocks quickly this year and if we start like that again we should be ok. However if we lose our way anything can happen, but I believe we have the better 20 (never mind 15) so we should get there.

Have faith.......
MWWSI 2017

Barney

The break is only 3 weeks - it is not that long - we had 4 weeks between Ros and the Connacht Final - but we need to start sharply like we have done so far this Summer. Remember the calibre of the teams that Meath faced in the last few weeks - Waterford, Ros, Westmeath and Limerick, is not too hot - we should be able to set a higher tempo and see what they are made of. I suspect they are going to put in a very big performance and we will get a serious test.

I do think that we will win but only by a point or two - Mayo 0.14 Meath 0.12

Zulu

I was at the Meath/Limerick game and I have to say I wasn't impressed by Meath, they started well and they have some good forwards but if they were a genuinely quality team they would have beaten an underperforming Limerick comfortably. In saying that I'm not convinced by Mayo either, one bad performance in a championship, league or challenge match has Mayo lads looking for the managers head but one decent performance has them talking about corners turned and possible AI's. I think it will be a good game and Mayo will win by 3-5 points however Mayo will not beat Kerry with David Heaney at midfield and Barry Moran on the team.

the Deel Rover

Quote from: Zulu on August 08, 2009, 10:36:42 AM
I was at the Meath/Limerick game and I have to say I wasn't impressed by Meath, they started well and they have some good forwards but if they were a genuinely quality team they would have beaten an underperforming Limerick comfortably. In saying that I'm not convinced by Mayo either, one bad performance in a championship, league or challenge match has Mayo lads looking for the managers head but one decent performance has them talking about corners turned and possible AI's. I think it will be a good game and Mayo will win by 3-5 points however Mayo will not beat Kerry with David Heaney at midfield and Barry Moran on the team.

your not wrong there Zulu .  mayo fans are a funny breed we are either the eternal pessimist or the eternal optimist depending on how the results are going, no in between at all
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

ildanach

This is the stage of the championship where the true lie of the land comes out. the quarter finals is where you are measuring yourself against the 7 top other teams in the country. it is time to shit or get off the pot. we need to put down a marker of where we stand in this years championship. personally i do not think we are good enough to win an all ireland just yet. I do feel that we will beat meath by maybe 3 points. happy enough with the team but i still have lingering worries about:
1.  heaney at midfield (he has not let us down to date, but i am still worried)
2.  the full back lines lack of experience.

strangely enough my main worry to date had been that of barry moran, however i feel that he could actually cause meath some problems on the croke park pitch so hopefully i am right. also i am really looking forward to seeing  aidan o'se in croke park. think occasions like this is where he will shine.

Maigh Eo abu- revenge for 96!
Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.

020304 Tir Eoghain

Would be a bit concerned about Mayo's ability to close out a game. Thought they were lucky at the death against Galway the last day out, even after
dominating for the entire match. A similar lapse against Meath in the last 15 - 20 minutes & they'll be out. Having said that, man for man they have 20
better footballers than Meath & should win by between 3 - 5 points.
Tír Éoghain '03, '05, '08.

RedandGreenSniper

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 08, 2009, 10:45:57 AM

your not wrong there Zulu .  mayo fans are a funny breed we are either the eternal pessimist or the eternal optimist depending on how the results are going, no in between at all

Can't agree lads. While that is normally the case there's a bit more calm among Mayo supporters this year. While you have a lot of us thinking we'll beat Meath, there's no one talking about All-Irelands. In fact you'll find a lot of clowns in Mayo saying we should lose to Meath to save us embarrassment against Kerry ::)
But there are only so many times you can make the same mistake - getting ahead of yourself - and Mayo are a bit more tuned into the here and now thankfully.
I reckon we'll beat Meath and we won't be afraid of Kerry. Prediction of result for Sunday? 2-12 to 1-9. Padden to start full-forward.
Mayo for Sam! Just don't ask me for a year

moysider

Quote from: the Deel Rover on August 08, 2009, 10:45:57 AM

I d be very much in between and so would many others I suspect. But I m not sure this is the time or place to be realistic or pessimistic as some would see. Neither if we lose Sunday will I be ranting and raving.

As regards the Meath game I would nt know much about Meath to go making predictions but experience would make me cautious.

We ll see how we trained on from Galway. I cant get the Laois 06 game out of my head for some reason. Hopefully we ll win it and then the fun will start in earnest.