Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 04, 2009, 11:11:28 AM
Quote from: JMohan on August 04, 2009, 10:11:37 AM
Na, I'm just being honest with my opinion.
I don't think I'll ever see a Mayo team win an All Ireland in my life time.

Tell us Joe - you strike me as a Joe - what age of a man are you? Do you take a drink at all? Are you aware of the price of twenty Carroll's? Do you ever go back to traveller camps of an evening and ask them if they're signing in more than one office or where they got those gates?

I'm not being personal now - I'd just like to know when I'll see Mayo win the All-Ireland. :d

:D

JMohan

Quote from: IolarCoisCuain on August 04, 2009, 11:11:28 AM

Tell us Joe - you strike me as a Joe - what age of a man are you? Do you take a drink at all? Are you aware of the price of twenty Carroll's? Do you ever go back to traveller camps of an evening and ask them if they're signing in more than one office or where they got those gates?

I'm not being personal now - I'd just like to know when I'll see Mayo win the All-Ireland. :d

;D

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: JMohan on August 04, 2009, 01:15:20 AM
This won't go down well - but it's my honest opinion ...

I think Meath are an average team

Mayo should beat them ... with a struggle

Connacht football is not at the same standard as Leinster, Munster or Ulster football and I expect when Mayo meet a good team like Kerry/Cork/Tyrone .... even a Kildare or Dublin ... Mayo (Galway even) will get stuffed

Connacht people will find that their football is behind the rest of the country

JMohan, I respect your opinion but I disagree, In your logic answer me this, Why didnt Sligo get stuffed so by Kerry in there backyard?, and to be honest Id class mayo a bit ahead of us but it doesnt mean mayo will beat Kerry. No chance mayo will get stuffed though imo.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

muppet

Galway will win one long before them - it's just a psychological thing - I think Galway have a different attitude when they get to Croker with decent teams.
Mayo always flatter to deceive, have supporters that get carried away with expectations and believe the players and team is better than it is and don't have the hard edge needed to win.  

In fairness before I'm accused of being anti-Mayo - there's plenty of counties like that - counties who look at league success and think they've done enough to win an AI. But I just think Mayo haven't got it.

Looking over your posts you definitely have a think about Mayo, your campaign on McStay, Conor Mortimer etc.

I think a Mayo girl dumped you and you have serious psychological issues yourself. I suggest getting counselling for it.

Kerry were one well struck penalty from being dumped out of th Championship by a Division 4 Connacht team, at home.
MWWSI 2017

An Gaeilgoir

Just to follow on from some of the comments posted. i think that JOM is (at the risk of getting the ire of some up) has a work ethic and belief instilled in this team that we haven't had before, the games in the latter stages of the league prove this, the draw in Tuam was a good example. Look at our first game against Roscommom, we did what Kerry did yesterady, it was then said the the Rossies were finished and they did all right in the back door, had a tough Draw in Wexford and beat them in the Hyde, went to Meath and aquitted themselves well. Mayo then went to Salthill, took on Galway, threw away a good lead mainly through wrong tactics and shite-hawking, but different to other years, this Mayo team did not take the easy options (take a draw to C'bar or even get beaten). They won the kick out got the free and still had the composure to kick the winning point. It was also pointed out following the Galway win, that Mayo did a lot of fouling and dragging in the second half in Salthill, well i say good its about time, a win at all costs mentality is what we need. As lar mentioned already this team has a lot more gumption about it that other years and they will not lie down against anyone. JOM did an interview in the Mayo news before the Ros game and he told the interviewer that what ever is lacking is the team it would not be the work ethic or belief. Peadar's point in Salthill proved that and if mayo go on to greater things this for me will be the defining point of their campaign.

JMohan

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 04, 2009, 11:48:43 AM

Connacht football is not at the same standard as Leinster, Munster or Ulster football and I expect when Mayo meet a good team like Kerry/Cork/Tyrone .... even a Kildare or Dublin ... Mayo (Galway even) will get stuffed

JMohan, I respect your opinion but I disagree, In your logic answer me this, Why didnt Sligo get stuffed so by Kerry in there backyard?, and to be honest Id class mayo a bit ahead of us but it doesnt mean mayo will beat Kerry. No chance mayo will get stuffed though imo.

Fair point about Sligo - though You could point to the 'troubles' Kerry were having.
Sligo are a tough team to beat and the motivation to play Sligo would be alot less than Dublin, Tyrone, Cork etc - I think that's a fair point.

Mayo are a decent team, but both teams going at it 100% ?

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: JMohan on August 04, 2009, 12:29:36 PM

Fair point about Sligo - though You could point to the 'troubles' Kerry were having.
Sligo are a tough team to beat and the motivation to play Sligo would be alot less than Dublin, Tyrone, Cork etc - I think that's a fair point.

Ya was waiting for that one, getting a lynching by the own supporters for losing to Sligo at home wouldnt motivate Kerry at all. I mean it was all down to Kerry playing bad and us playing above ourselves, there all the cliches arent they?

Whilst I take on board that Kerry probably played better yday but werent they let, Dublins FB line wouldnt be a patch on ours IMO but sure whos heard of Harrison McGuire Donovan before? We were lucky we had our strengths were Kerry were strong so it kinda balanced itself out...and thus ensured a tight game is the reality of what happened.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

JMohan

Quote from: muppet on August 04, 2009, 11:54:30 AM
Galway will win one long before them - it's just a psychological thing - I think Galway have a different attitude when they get to Croker with decent teams.
Mayo always flatter to deceive, have supporters that get carried away with expectations and believe the players and team is better than it is and don't have the hard edge needed to win.  

In fairness before I'm accused of being anti-Mayo - there's plenty of counties like that - counties who look at league success and think they've done enough to win an AI. But I just think Mayo haven't got it.

Looking over your posts you definitely have a think about Mayo, your campaign on McStay, Conor Mortimer etc.

I think a Mayo girl dumped you and you have serious psychological issues yourself. I suggest getting counselling for it.

Kerry were one well struck penalty from being dumped out of th Championship by a Division 4 Connacht team, at home.
;D

Come on ... don't let me wind you up that easily ... Mayo people are too easy to wind up ...

Mr. Nakata

I really fancy Mayo's chances this year. I think they'll dispatch Meath with very little fuss. Didn't Bray get a straight red against Limerick and he's one of their key men. If we were to get past Cork, I'd rather play Kerry than Mayo. I was well impressed with Mayo down in Castlebar in our league game.

JMohan

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 04, 2009, 12:37:24 PM

Ya was waiting for that one, getting a lynching by the own supporters for losing to Sligo at home wouldnt motivate Kerry at all. I mean it was all down to Kerry playing bad and us playing above ourselves, there all the cliches arent they?

Whilst I take on board that Kerry probably played better yday but werent they let, Dublins FB line wouldnt be a patch on ours IMO but sure whos heard of Harrison McGuire Donovan before? We were lucky we had our strengths were Kerry were strong so it kinda balanced itself out...and thus ensured a tight game is the reality of what happened.

No not all.
I think Sligo are a good team. What impressed me most was I thought they were FAR more positive this year than other years - once or twice I thought them too cynical. Maybe you'd agree/disagree?
Sligo would be one of the worst teams anyone could face in the backdoor - they basically beat Armagh a few years ago if memory serves me right except for a few poor refereeing decisions.

I think you'd agree the 'row' would have been a factor of some sort - but I don't think you can draw conclusions along the lines that Sligo must automatically be better than Dublin based on that performance - and in fairness your not saying that either. I'm just pointing out it's hard to draw accurate conclusions.

I agree with that last line. Dublin were a little overrated in hindsight - I think they're a very good team still. But moreso they just had a very bad day at the office.

stephenite

Quote from: JMohan on August 04, 2009, 01:19:49 PM
Come on ... don't let me wind you up that easily ... Mayo people are too easy to wind up ...

So you are stirring - glad that's settled.

Back to the game, who's Meath's likely replacement for Bray?

JMohan

Quote from: stephenite on August 04, 2009, 01:28:02 PM
Quote from: JMohan on August 04, 2009, 01:19:49 PM

So you are stirring - glad that's settled.

Back to the game, who's Meath's likely replacement for Bray?

Well a little
;D

I do think Mayo are a little behind the rest of the top teams - but we'll see and I do think there is something missing that JOM is changing slowly. I really respect OMahony and given time he'll make a difference.

small white mayoman

Quote from: JMohan on August 04, 2009, 10:44:35 AM

Fair play for not taking the post as stirring, because it wasn't meant as such.

I think the major plus for Mayo is JO'M - he can make a psychological difference.
I also think getting rid of CMcD was a major positive. While a decent individual player in his own right I thought overall he was more of a negative to Mayo progressing and wining as a team than a plus.

[/quote]

just wondering in your opinion was mc d a negative to mayo progressing for all his intercounty career if thats the case it explains why we haven't won anything while he was playing, fair fcuks to o mahony he solved the problem now nothing can stop us
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

kevmy

In fairness we are favourites against Meath and rightly so. However I don't think it will be easy. They had a good midfield the last day - I know O'Donovan didn't start for Limerick so that handed a bit of initiative to Meath but still they done well.

I think Meath have some good forwards the 2 Brays, Ward and Sheridan are all able to kick points. Bray will be a big lose though and I'm not sure what kind of cover they have. But Limerick are a negative kind of team and didn't give the Meath defence anything to think about. If we keep King and O'Connor on the back foot instead of letting them swan around we will take pressure of our defence. Meath's defence as a whole hasn't been properly tested since the Dub game where they gave up an awful lot of chances.

If we have to replace Barry Moran for me there is two options. If we want to keep the twin towers approach go with BillieJoe. He's played there before and can win ball in the air. Parsons is a good player but we'll need him at midfield at some stage and my thoughts are never make two changes when you can make one. Also I think he's better on the run I'm not sure if he can play with his back to goal. Austie isn't an IC FF - he might be a middling corner forward but thats it.
If we don't want to go with the twin towers play Conoreen for the simple case that he's a better out and out corner forward than any other player we have on the bench.

Lar Naparka

Quote from: SLIGONIAN on August 04, 2009, 12:37:24 PM

Ya know what??
I agree fully with you, Sligonian, and I've no problem saying it either.
Kerry didn't go out against Sligo for the sake of making up numbers; they were getting a lot of stick from their own supporters who are as unreasonable as we are.
Their players wouldn't have relished the thought of going back home after being bet by a crowd of nobodies. A bit of hard luck and the lack of a killer instinct stopped the nobodies from becoming somebodies that day.  The very same could be said about your match with Galway.
But Mayo too and lots of other counties could go on and on about the ones who got away from them. There are a few Kerry heads I know who'd pass a wet weekend moaning about their own hard luck stories.
Sligo seems to be short of a few quality players to be the finished article but if they manage to come up just two or three, the rest of us can watch out.
Ourselves nearly got nabbed by Galway at the finish but weren't and there's the difference.  We went in expecting to win and we did. Sligo went out after listening to their fans and even their county board officials saying that a good result would be to finish less than four or five points behind. Yee half-expected to lose and yee got what yee anticipating. (That's enough bloody yees for a while.) ;D
I'm a bit concerned about Meath next weekend. They remind me of Galway. You could bate them off the pitch but you can't take your eye off them until they are back in their civvies again. Meath have fought their way out of too many lost causes in the past for any one to take them lightly. The players may have changed but the self-belief lives on.
I think Mayo will win this one by a few points but I won't relax until it's all done and dusted.  As long as none of them go out thinking of revenge for '96 or that sort of thing, we should get by.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi