Mayo Vs Meath - All-Ireland Quarter Finals

Started by AbbeySider, July 24, 2009, 10:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eastern_Pride

;D ;D ;D ;DWicklow Junior B All ireland twice in a row 02/03.....tommy murphy cup winners when yiz were scared abour how good we really were
Do you think Usain Bolt could replace Thomas Walsh?

Jinxy

May the best team win and the losers not moan about it for the next 13 years. ;D ;)
If you were any use you'd be playing.

moysider

Oh Christ again. Here we go again. If the best team won in 96 there would nt have been any moaning. Best ref in Ireland was the winner that day. His canonisation followed shortly. I mean if Colm says he s the best, and why would nt he, then he s the best. Then there was the Clare linesman who merits attention. The p***k.

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Lar Naparka

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

muppet

Quote from: Eastern_Pride on August 01, 2009, 10:45:03 PM
;D ;D ;D ;DWicklow Junior B All ireland twice in a row 02/03.....tommy murphy cup winners when yiz were scared abour how good we really were

Woody we woke you up a century too early. Back to sleep good man..........
MWWSI 2017

stephenite

Quote from: INDIANA on August 01, 2009, 11:21:52 AM
The fact of the matter is Stephenite that if the standard of Mayo football was especially good it wouldn't be since 195 what since you won an all-ireland? Saw Ballina in 2008 all ireland club semi versus nemo- easily one of the worst all-ireland semi finalists I've ever seen- I mean Nemo didn't get of reverse to win that game. You haven't done well at intermediate or junior all-ireland level either- so check the roll of honour the next time.
So take yourself down off your high horse there. I made a comment about somone who has struggled at senior club level in Dublin. Now lets face it I've actually seen these matches- you haven't. And thats the last I'll say on it because its completely going off the point of the thread. I'm not getting involved in a debate about the standard of club football in different counties because its pointless. The standard in Dublin is decent without being spectacular- but to suggest that mayo intermediate championship football is a better standard or more intense when not one mayo team has won an all-ireland intermediate club  title is absolutely hilarious.

Have to say Aidan O Shea doesn't look especially slow when he gets moving. Not sure he'll always be a full forward though- might end up out the pitch somewhere.

Any notion that the standard of club football in any county reflects the abilities of the county team just proves you don't know what you're talking about. Dublin club football is in general poor, the county team is not.

THe only clubs on Dublin that have been in anyway successful outside of Dubl in recent times have been St. Vincents, Kilmacud and Na Fianna, 3 clubs that recruit outside of their own boundaries, look at the amount of non Dubs on those teams when they were successful - it just disproves your own point. The intensity levels outside of championship games between these clubs are practically non existent

Barney

So Meath it is.

I hope this nonsense talk of Mayo being in the semi-final already will start.

When have we ever beaten any of the top teams at our ease? I do think this is a game we should win, but if the lads are not focussed they will be beaten. The Meath forwards are good enough when on form to put up a big score. Stephen Bray will be a huge miss for them though.

If there is any hope of Barry Moran being fit he needs to play. The Meath full-back line look to be vulnerable.

Our midfield will need to step things up big-time also - Crawford and Meade are big men, good fielders, with plenty of support from their hardworking half-back and half-forward lines.

If we can come out of this one it will be worth all teh re-runs of Brendan Reilly's winning point in 96 that we are now going to have to endure.

INDIANA

Quote from: stephenite on August 02, 2009, 04:51:41 AM
The fact of the matter is Stephenite that if the standard of Mayo football was especially good it wouldn't be since 195 what since you won an all-ireland? Saw Ballina in 2008 all ireland club semi versus nemo- easily one of the worst all-ireland semi finalists I've ever seen- I mean Nemo didn't get of reverse to win that game. You haven't done well at intermediate or junior all-ireland level either- so check the roll of honour the next time.
So take yourself down off your high horse there. I made a comment about somone who has struggled at senior club level in Dublin. Now lets face it I've actually seen these matches- you haven't. And thats the last I'll say on it because its completely going off the point of the thread. I'm not getting involved in a debate about the standard of club football in different counties because its pointless. The standard in Dublin is decent without being spectacular- but to suggest that mayo intermediate championship football is a better standard or more intense when not one mayo team has won an all-ireland intermediate club  title is absolutely hilarious.

Have to say Aidan O Shea doesn't look especially slow when he gets moving. Not sure he'll always be a full forward though- might end up out the pitch somewhere.

Any notion that the standard of club football in any county reflects the abilities of the county team just proves you don't know what you're talking about. Dublin club football is in general poor, the county team is not.

THe only clubs on Dublin that have been in anyway successful outside of Dubl in recent times have been St. Vincents, Kilmacud and Na Fianna, 3 clubs that recruit outside of their own boundaries, look at the amount of non Dubs on those teams when they were successful - it just disproves your own point. The intensity levels outside of championship games between these clubs are practically non existent

Stop running for cover mate. you made a complete tool of yourself stating that the Mayo intermediate championship was more intense than our senior football championship. When you take that point back or state you were wrong- I'll read the rest of your post. And by the way I've seen a quite a bit of the mayo club championships because I have extended family there.
You can't compare the capital city of Ireland to every other county in Ireland- lets face it half of Mayo play in Dublin. Maybe you'd prefer if those players were told "no" you can't play for a Dublin club and have to traverl a couple of hundred miles every weekend to play GAA. They'd probably take up some othyer sport and be lost to the Gaa. Then again a circus act like you wouldn't see that.
But then again when you've got a certain mayo footballer looking for 20,000 euro to play his club football in Dublin then again I suppose its easy to see where you're coming from.

stephenite

Quote from: INDIANA on August 02, 2009, 10:49:15 AM
Quote from: stephenite on August 02, 2009, 04:51:41 AM

Stop running for cover mate. you made a complete tool of yourself stating that the Mayo intermediate championship was more intense than our senior football championship. When you take that point back or state you were wrong- I'll read the rest of your post. And by the way I've seen a quite a bit of the mayo club championships because I have extended family there.
You can't compare the capital city of Ireland to every other county in Ireland- lets face it half of Mayo play in Dublin. Maybe you'd prefer if those players were told "no" you can't play for a Dublin club and have to traverl a couple of hundred miles every weekend to play GAA. They'd probably take up some othyer sport and be lost to the Gaa. Then again a circus act like you wouldn't see that.
But then again when you've got a certain mayo footballer looking for 20,000 euro to play his club football in Dublin then again I suppose its easy to see where you're coming from.

Bless your little cotton socks, always easy to see those that have lost the run of themselves by accusing others of running for cover.

I can appreciate it's hard for you to admit it - but outside of the top 2, 3 or at a stretch 4 teams in Dublin, club football in Dublin is a joke. I've no problem with lads playing for Dublin clubs, but you made a point of saying that Austie wasn't used to the intensity - I called you on it, and you've repsonded with various tripe from trying to equate standards of club football to  inter county success to crying about how Conor Mort wants Bernard Brogan Snr to bankroll him, but not actually addressing my point.

So is Mayo Intermediate at a higher intensity level than a Dublin Senior County final between Kilmacud and Vins? No

Is Mayo Intermediate at a higher intensity level than a Dublin Senior Championship match between Plunketts and someone like Raheny, St. Annes or Trinity Gaels? In my opinion, yes.

INDIANA

I can't understand how you can draw conclusions on player's performances in club championship games that you haven't seen?  The likes of Raheny with Dave Henry and Whelan playing would do quite well against most mayo teams- bar the top 4- not a very good comparison IMO.
Fingal Ravens were narrowly defeated in the all-ireland intermediate final 2 years ago.  Long time since a mayo team reached the same stage. So I don't agree mayo intermediate championship is better than dublin 's in the latter stages of it.
Dublin has way more clubs and there will always be 5/6 teams at the back end of senior football who struggle annually. There are 32 senior teams in dublin probably 10 too many. But you're very mistaken if you think the top 10 clubs in Dublin wouldn't match up very well with Mayo all the way to the 10th club .

I don't agree with you- and I'll leave it at that because the focus of the thread should be on the match next sunday.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Barney on August 02, 2009, 08:53:05 AM
So Meath it is.

I hope this nonsense talk of Mayo being in the semi-final already will start.

When have we ever beaten any of the top teams at our ease? I do think this is a game we should win, but if the lads are not focussed they will be beaten. The Meath forwards are good enough when on form to put up a big score. Stephen Bray will be a huge miss for them though.

If there is any hope of Barry Moran being fit he needs to play. The Meath full-back line look to be vulnerable.

Our midfield will need to step things up big-time also - Crawford and Meade are big men, good fielders, with plenty of support from their hardworking half-back and half-forward lines.

If we can come out of this one it will be worth all teh re-runs of Brendan Reilly's winning point in 96 that we are now going to have to endure.

I watched youtube of 1989 and 1996 finals over the weekend, jees ye blew it, actually feel sorry for yee looking back. Liam McHale was some player and Horan gave Coyle the roasting of his life the first day. Watching O Reillys last point I actually think he fluked it, where he looked before the kick id say it was to pass, If you say it cant happen, well I scored a point once where i meant to pass seriously but caught the ball too well from a tightish angle.

Ye are hot favs for the qtr. Dublin or Kerry will learn alot more from there qtr though imo. Who would ye prefer? If thats true about mayos average age is 23 then theyre wont be too many cheap Connacht titles over the next 10yrs.
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"

ross4life

if the mayo keeper came out for the ball instead of letting it hop over the bar it ye could have won it  ;)
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Tubberman

Quoteif the mayo keeper came out for the ball instead of letting it hop over the bar it ye could have won it 

WOW. Finally someone has solved the mystery!
So if we stopped the ball from bouning over the bar we could have won it? That's great, thanks for that. Such a radical and insightful analysis. 

Sorry, slightly sarcastic there  ;) :P
But I think it's fair to say Mayo people have heard and thought about that bouncing ball more than enough times since 96

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Tubberman on August 02, 2009, 12:28:59 PM
Quoteif the mayo keeper came out for the ball instead of letting it hop over the bar it ye could have won it 

WOW. Finally someone has solved the mystery!
So if we stopped the ball from bouning over the bar we could have won it? That's great, thanks for that. Such a radical and insightful analysis. 

Sorry, slightly sarcastic there  ;) :P
But I think it's fair to say Mayo people have heard and thought about that bouncing ball more than enough times since 96

Tubberman!!
You being sarcastic?
It's a word I'd have never link with you.
(Maybe a few others okay but I thought it was reasoned and balanced analysis all the way- until this admission.) ;D
However, to be (slightly) serious here, I hope our beloved team and our equally beloved manager keep their eyes on the ball next week and don't get distracted by thoughts of bouncing balls of 13 years ago.
Batin' Meath should be just one step along the road and nothing more.

However, I do have a gripe about what happened in '96 and it has nothing to do with bouncing balls or Liam McHale- or Colm Coyle for that matter.
Mayo lads here will know I mentioned this one before so I'll keep this short and sweet:
Before the '96 replay Pat McEaney went to both dressing rooms.
He discussed his interpretation of the rules with the players.
He stated that he was not going to allow quick free kicks to be taken.
(BTW; all this is according to some of the Mayo players)
Coming up to the end, Meath got a free in close to goal.
Mayo defenders were slow to take up position as the same ref had said there would be no quick frees. (Yup; I have watched endless replays and they were slow to form up.)
However, Geraghty got away with taking this one quickly and we all know what happened next.
I have absolutely nothing personal against any Meath player or fan but the same can't be said about the ref - if what members of the Mayo team said in public is true.
The hoor should've  been tarred and feathered long ago but I'm still living in hope. ;D
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi