How to fill the day?

Started by pintsofguinness, July 23, 2009, 08:58:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

I know it's the other side of the world, but I kow a lad out here that was unemployed for 10 months (a plumber) and he got involved in volunteer work with the homeless - when an opportunity eventually arose, he had this on his CV and used the crew he volunteered with as a reference. They rang them for the reference and the fact that he used his spare time to help out others is what landed him the job out of god knows how many others who had sat on their holes at home/in the pub.

full back

Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 23, 2009, 10:47:29 PM
Quote7. Arguing with my ex wifes lawyers just so she gets billed for it

I like the sound of that puck! Have you got their number handy? We could take turns calling.  You could pass the number around here too, Evil Genius, Gnevin etc.   

Quote from: The GAA on July 23, 2009, 10:13:22 PM
Get yourself home. there's bound to be plenty could be done round the club

Home not an option either.

Why isnt home an option pog?

I would say it would be easier to get work around home rather than in a place were you know very little people

pintsofguinness

Quote from: full back on July 24, 2009, 08:05:54 AM
Quote from: pintsofguinness on July 23, 2009, 10:47:29 PM
Quote7. Arguing with my ex wifes lawyers just so she gets billed for it

I like the sound of that puck! Have you got their number handy? We could take turns calling.  You could pass the number around here too, Evil Genius, Gnevin etc.   

Quote from: The GAA on July 23, 2009, 10:13:22 PM
Get yourself home. there's bound to be plenty could be done round the club

Home not an option either.

Why isnt home an option pog?

I would say it would be easier to get work around home rather than in a place were you know very little people

because herself has a job here, so it's either stay here with one of us unemployed or go home were we both can be unemployed.

and 5ivetimes is going to get me  :D  :D :D  :D  :D
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

full back

Catch 22 I suppose

Would you consider a job in a supermarket or something like that?

A few of them stores have jobs for people to work through the night, refilling shelves etc

pintsofguinness

Quote from: full back on July 24, 2009, 08:18:47 AM
Catch 22 I suppose

Would you consider a job in a supermarket or something like that?

A few of them stores have jobs for people to work through the night, refilling shelves etc

Yeah I've applied for anything that's available, not hearing anything back.

longball

POG i know exactly where your coming from. I was layed off for a couple of months see my thread 'the waiting is hell'.

It was ok at the start to get up early in the morning applying for jobs etc but when the weeks pass and you've heard nothing thats what the real c*nt is. I ended up starting to build my own house put in the foundations with a neighbour, had to get a big loan out of the credit union to start this was risk sh1te as i had no money coming in but borrowed so much.

Be warned as well application forms at the moment are a loada balls. Every answer is an essay, its due to the fact that so many people are applying for each job.

I applied for many of jobs that i was overqualified for but didnt even get shortlisted.

Sad times, hope you land on your feet.
Spotted any unladylike behaviour report within:
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=13209.0

longball

I applied for a job in ASDA in Enniskillen stacking shelves i didnt get an interview  :-\

illdecide

Well pints as much as we've had our differences i don't like to see anyman loose their job as it's not a nice thing to happen and with bills still to pay it's a big pressure on you. I would suggest getting up at the same time every morning as usual and go out for a walk/jog and get yourself into shape and just keep applying for every job that comes your way. Only yesterday we got a few jobs in that will keep us going for another few months (hopefully) but thats the first work we have had in over a year. (we were just lucky we were behind in work when the rescission kicked in)

P.S. what is your trade (not for being nossie, just to suggest options for looking for work)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

The squinted eye

Set yourself a goal..........I remember you trying to lose weight a while back, enter a triathlon or 1/2 marathon for early next year. Join a tri/athletics club near you, costs very little to buy a wetsuit, runners and cheap bike. Its no secret the fittest members of my club are unemployed, they are out there every day swimming running or cycling together.

Your sense of self worth will increase with an improved level of fitness, a few of the friends are unemployed spending their time on playstation, sleeping in till late afternoon, watching movies till the early hours, they are wallowing in their misery.

Try and do an hour on something every day......as the weight comes off your confidence will improve

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: ONeill on July 23, 2009, 09:16:52 PM
Get as fit as you can. It's probably the last chance to find out what your body is capable of as age will dictate that you'll be rowing against the tide very soon, trying to keep your head above the water and fighting blocked arteries. Walk, run, weights, good food. Daily routine. The first 2 weeks will encounter moments of weakness and saying feck this. After that you'll see small progress. Soon you'll find your mind is unusually healthy and increasingly happy.

In between, learn things - on youtube etc. Art, cars, language, writing, sport, wiring, pcs, electonics. Turn off the TV.

best advice so far

You need a goal but,something like training for a marathon/half marathon, learning and instrument, teach yourself a new skill that makes you more employable.its amazing what there are tutorials for on youtube!!

I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

longball

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on July 24, 2009, 10:01:32 AM
Quote from: ONeill on July 23, 2009, 09:16:52 PM
Get as fit as you can. It's probably the last chance to find out what your body is capable of as age will dictate that you'll be rowing against the tide very soon, trying to keep your head above the water and fighting blocked arteries. Walk, run, weights, good food. Daily routine. The first 2 weeks will encounter moments of weakness and saying feck this. After that you'll see small progress. Soon you'll find your mind is unusually healthy and increasingly happy.

In between, learn things - on youtube etc. Art, cars, language, writing, sport, wiring, pcs, electonics. Turn off the TV.

I done weights, running, etc

the best thing i done was cycling. went 12 mile cycle one day would reccommend doing application forms etc in the morning then getting the fcuk out of the house for the rest of the day if possible!
best advice so far

You need a goal but,something like training for a marathon/half marathon, learning and instrument, teach yourself a new skill that makes you more employable.its amazing what there are tutorials for on youtube!!

Cúig huaire

In times like these companies simply get rid of the dead wood.
Donagh, the GAA Board`s Sinn Fein PSNI spokesperson.

The Iceman

Losing your job wasn't your fault right? It was taken away from you and the blame is definitely on someone else.  Not your responsibility.

Your responsibility is how you choose to respond to it. 
If you laze around and respond negatively, if you feel sorry for yourself and spend your day watching TV then its all on you lad.
You can choose to respond positively and use the time constructively to make something happen - that's all on you too.

Nothing "bad" can happen to you unless you let it.....
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Lecale2

Quote from: Cúig huaire on July 24, 2009, 12:52:36 PM
In times like these companies simply get rid of the dead wood.

No call for that.

pintsofguinness

Quote from: The Iceman on July 24, 2009, 01:36:01 PM
Losing your job wasn't your fault right? It was taken away from you and the blame is definitely on someone else.  Not your responsibility.

Your responsibility is how you choose to respond to it. 
If you laze around and respond negatively, if you feel sorry for yourself and spend your day watching TV then its all on you lad.
You can choose to respond positively and use the time constructively to make something happen - that's all on you too.

Nothing "bad" can happen to you unless you let it.....

That's motivating talk! 
Yeah you're right about the responding positively but it's easier said than done.

Illdecide, I was thinking along your lines alright, getting up at normal time and going out for walk or something.  I think a marathon/half maraton might be asking too much though! I'm liking the voluntary work idea.   
only trouble is, and I know from before, when you keep applying to places and here nothing it gets harder and harder to stay motivated.

Longball
QuoteBe warned as well application forms at the moment are a loada balls. Every answer is an essay, its due to the fact that so many people are applying for each job.
I know! There was one in particular I done, spent one saturday morning filling in a bastard of a form with the biggest load of shite, took me hours and of course I didnt hear a thing back from it.